Scored 800 but failed

dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've concluded with almost 10minutes remaining and I was shocked that my score reads failed with 800 mark.

It was not what I expected after studying more than a year but on and off, I found that I didnt save the running-configuration into NVRAM by running copy run start, on simulations. could that be the reason of not reaching the passing score of 804 at least?

1.Describe the operation of data networks 71%
2.Implement a small switched network 78%
3.Implement an IP ad.scheme and IP services to meet requirements 4 small branch 89%
4.Implement a small routed network 53%
5.Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN 67%
6.Identify security threats to a ntwk & describe methods to mitigate those threats 100%
7.Implement and verify WAN links 67%

All suggestions are appreciated, I want to book it again.

Comments

• peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dfjama wrote: »
    I've concluded with almost 10minutes remaining and I was shocked that my score reads failed with 800 mark.

Seems like you were good on time... I'd touch up the few areas where your score was sub-80% and you should be golden after that!
    It was not what I expected after studying more than a year but on and off, I found that I didnt save the running-configuration into NVRAM by running copy run start, on simulations. could that be the reason of not reaching the passing score of 804 at least?

I don't think anyone but Cisco knows the answer to that question! If I were guessing, I'd say that it shouldn't have made that big of a difference...
    All suggestions are appreciated, I want to book it again.
    Brush up on those topics that you may not have been as confident in. You're extremely close. Think of this first exam as a "trial run". You'll nail it next time... Good luck and if you have any questions or if something is unclear, post it to the forums! Good luck... icon_thumright.gif

-Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Peanut for the good comment & encouragement.
    I will take your advise and hope will nail it my 2nd attempt.

My question is, on simulations do you have to save any changes you make from RAM to NVRAM? (copy run start)? the reason I am asking is that because a friend of mine suggested that I was supposed to do that, while I didnt see on any of many sources I used during my preparations, all reading, watching and labbing.
  • hhasundhhasund Member Posts: 32 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I asked the instructor on one of my Cisco courses this question, and he said that it was not neccesary. I have never done it in my exams, and have scored 100% in areas that the simulations covered, so I don't think it is.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Definitely not. I never did and obviously didn't have any issues as I passed.
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
    Why not save it? It's good practise for the real world. I find sometimes I forget to save the config of a router to startup and a few months down the line when the site has a black out, I beat myself up for I have to go back in and figure out what I did before and reimplement it.

It's easier to make sure you write the config before moving on. A simple "WR" command and you are done.

Just my two cents.
  • mtorresmtorres Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I didn't save the running config to startup and passed the ccent test. But it wouldn't hurt, it isn't like they will take points away for saving so you might as well do it. i'll remember that when taking icnd2.
  • HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    cisco has officially said you dont have to do a wr
  • chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Heero wrote: »
    cisco has officially said you dont have to do a wr

I dunno about officially, but I was able to find this:
    I agree with you and Scott that saving your configuration in a real world environment is a must. We even push that in the courses at both the CCNA and CCNP levels. We also push that you should save a backup copy to flash before you make changes so you can do a quick recovery with the config replace command.

However the exam is a different world. I am part of the exam team so I have an inside view. The simulations tries to replicate the IOS environment, but we have pick which commands we support based on what is need to evaluate the candidate. Saving a configuration is not need by the simulation to complete the grading and I don’t think it would be fair to fail a candidate just because they forgot to save their config in the middle of an exam.

My reason for attempting to dispel the myth is we get numerous complaints from candidates that they failed the exam because the sim was broken and they know this because they could not save their configuration. Upon review their exam results it is apparent that just they failed. Many times they got partial credit for the simulation.

As this myth spins out of control, I am afraid that we may have candidates who are aborting the simulation before they complete it because they tried to save their config and have heard that if you cannot save your configuration the sim is broken. The last thing I want is to have a candidate give up one an exam they could have passed because of misinformation.

We have tried to covey that saving your configuration is not need to successfully compete the sim with the “command not supported message” and even a “This command is not needed to successfully compete this simulation” message. Yet the complaints that the sim are broken because you cannot save your configuration continue to come in.

Hopefully this group can help get the word out that unless the copy command is supported you don't need to sve your configuration to complete the simulation.

Phil

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/message/90026
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Monkerz wrote: »
    Why not save it? It's good practise for the real world. I find sometimes I forget to save the config of a router to startup and a few months down the line when the site has a black out, I beat myself up for I have to go back in and figure out what I did before and reimplement it.

It's easier to make sure you write the config before moving on. A simple "WR" command and you are done.

Just my two cents.

Unrelated to the OP, but why don't you set up some kind of simple backup script to save and pull configs? You could use something free like Rancid or write a script to login and TFTP to a server and do a wr for you every night.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    My advice would be to cram the weaker areas for a couple weeks and get back in there. I failed my first try at icnd2 with a 784.

When you are that close you should be able to take some of the exam knowledge (questions and scenarios ) you now have in memory and combine that with a bit more directed study and you should be good.
  • MierdinMierdin Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm of the opinion that a copy run start is always a good idea....you should never get docked for doing so, and getting in the habit early is a good idea.
    "We gain complexity by linking together. To be isolated within a single platform is to be reduced. We see less. Understand less. It is quieter.” -Legion

Current Focus: CCIE R/S
    Blog -- Keeping It Classless
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think spending a few weeks on weak sections will help you out the most but don't forget to lightly review the other material. I failed the CCENT on the first time by one point and then retook it a month later to only have scores go down in some domains and up in others.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • dfjamadfjama Banned Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
    thanks to all for your efforts.
  • tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    I think spending a few weeks on weak sections will help you out the most but don't forget to lightly review the other material. I failed the CCENT on the first time by one point and then retook it a month later to only have scores go down in some domains and up in others.

I had the same thing happen to me on icnd2. I think this is more a symptom of only getting about 40 questions on the test and getting lucky. I think you'd find if there were say 100 questions covering all the categories your section scores would stay a lot more static.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    tha_dub wrote: »
    I had the same thing happen to me on icnd2. I think this is more a symptom of only getting about 40 questions on the test and getting lucky. I think you'd find if there were say 100 questions covering all the categories your section scores would stay a lot more static.

I had a different story on the ICND2.....
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****