Options

Which XM should I get . . .

ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
I am in the market for another router, I currently have:
(2) 2610XM's
(2) 2611XM's

I am not in a serious hurry so I can wait a bit and shop, but what I want to know is which model I should be looking at?

Another 2610XM/2611XM or one of the higher models: 2620XM, 2621XM, 2650XM 2651XM etc? Seems like I should maybe look at the higher end models as sometimes they go for the same price or even lower then the more common 2610/11 models.

Any input will be welcome hereicon_confused.gif:
Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
c0op3r.com

Comments

• Options
    mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
    I just got this 2650XM MODERATED
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mark076h wrote: »
    I just got this 2650XM MODERATED
    There is something odd about that auction. Search for the serial number JAE0820GYGX and it appears in multiple auctions by the vendor but not always for a 2650XM. I can understand it appearing multiple times for 2650XM as the seller has multiple units for sale but how does it appear in a boot log for a 2620XM?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    There is something odd about that auction. Search for the serial number JAE0820GYGX and it appears in multiple auctions by the vendor but not always for a 2650XM. I can understand it appearing multiple times for 2650XM as the seller has multiple units for sale but how does it appear in a boot log for a 2620XM?

Show me what you are talking about?
  • Options
    I think it is a copy and paste issue.
  • Options
    Yup, I think he just copied and pasted a single one for all his 26XX routers he is selling and changed a few things, he is unaware that the Processor board ID should change with each router.

If i get something other than a 2650XM then there will be hell to pay lol.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it is a copy and paste issue.
    It more like **** and Copyright Infringement Issue. That seller appears to include **** and access to their FTP for illegal access to Copyrighted materials.

Doesn't mean the hardware is bad -- but since a large part of their target market is people who are happy to **** on the exams, a lot of people who buy from them may never know there's any issue with the hardware.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It more like **** and Copyright Infringement Issue. That seller appears to include **** and access to their FTP for illegal access to Copyrighted materials.

Doesn't mean the hardware is bad -- but since a large part of their target market is people who are happy to **** on the exams, a lot of people who buy from them may never know there's any issue with the hardware.

I am not cheating, I was just looking for a 26xxXM router and that seems like a good deal? sorry for posting an ebay link.
  • Options
    Yup, I think he just copied and pasted a single one for all his 26XX routers he is selling and changed a few things, he is unaware that the Processor board ID should change with each router.

If i get something other than a 2650XM then there will be hell to pay lol.
    Still strange though. The other lines like IOS version, filename and model look correct even though it claims that you get the latest IOS when the "log" doesn't show that. Its just the board number that doesn't.

When you get the 2650XM, look at the serial number and see if it comes up in any searches. You should check the version of the ROMMON as well since that might just be another copy & paste.
  • Options
    Still strange though. The other lines like IOS version, filename and model look correct even though it claims that you get the latest IOS when the "log" doesn't show that. Its just the board number that doesn't.

When you get the 2650XM, look at the serial number and see if it comes up in any searches. You should check the version of the ROMMON as well since that might just be another copy & paste.

Ok will do, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Just out of curiosity why are you getting another XM router? You already have 4. Why not something else?
  • Options
    tha_dub wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity why are you getting another XM router? You already have 4. Why not something else?

That is pretty much what I am asking what else should I get?

Do you think I should NOT get another XM and go with somethings else? If so please tell me what you think I should get and why.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Well it really depends on where you want to go with certification. I see you are working on your CCNA so 4 XM routers will cover that no problems. Do you have any 2950 switches? If not 3 decent switches is the ideal number if you've got the money although 2 is good enough. If you plan on pursuing the CCNP track a layer 3 switch might be a good idea or maybe buy some voice cards four your 2600 or maybe a 1760 already loaded with some voice cards....
  • Options
    Well it really depends on where you want to go with certification. I see you are working on your CCNA so 4 XM routers will cover that no problems. Do you have any 2950 switches? If not 3 decent switches is the ideal number if you've got the money although 2 is good enough. If you plan on pursuing the CCNP track a layer 3 switch might be a good idea or maybe buy some voice cards four your 2600 or maybe a 1760 already loaded with some voice cards....

Yes I have (3) 2950's and a 3550 Switch, I do plan to pursue the CCNP, and I was looking through the lab work and noticed that some of the later labs showed 5 Routers in the labs, that was why I was looking at a 5th router.

But I figured since I was not in a serious hurry, I would ask to see if there is a certain model I should look for as my 5th router, is voice covered in the CCNP studies?
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    Drool You've got lots of good toys. I wish my lab was that good... I've only managed to buy a few pieces of equipment this year.

I'm working towards a voice cert right now so I don't know how essential the 5th router is for ccnp but I'm sure someone here does... maybe to be on the safe side just order it and ship directly to me ;)
  • Options
    As you've got enough for CCNA which is what you're aiming for anyway then I'd skip on getting any extra routers unless you get one that is being offered for an extremely good price.
  • Options
    Drool You've got lots of good toys. I wish my lab was that good... I've only managed to buy a few pieces of equipment this year.

I'm working towards a voice cert right now so I don't know how essential the 5th router is for ccnp but I'm sure someone here does... maybe to be on the safe side just order it and ship directly to me ;)

Yeah, I was running outta space so you can just hold onto for me for a bit wink wink icon_wink.gif
    As you've got enough for CCNA which is what you're aiming for anyway then I'd skip on getting any extra routers unless you get one that is being offered for an extremely good price.

Right that is why I am asking, I want to know what to look for so I can start watching the eBay auctions and CL, but I was soliciting opinions on what should be the 5th router.
    Z3r0

c0op3r.com
  • Options
    ZeroHunter wrote: »
    Right that is why I am asking, I want to know what to look for so I can start watching the eBay auctions and CL, but I was soliciting opinions one what should be the 5th router.
    Depends on what you want to do and you'll need to do some research on your own when you do decide. That doesn't mean posting here that you're thinking of doing CCNA:W, CCNA:V, CCNP:W, CCSP, CCVP and CCIE and that you want lab suggestions though :P

3640/3660 or a 26x1XM are generally decent for lab routers. Get any necessary NMs and WICs but make sure they're compatible with whatever routers you've got. Don't buy any AIMs unless you're 100% sure you need one. Add in DSPs, VICs and NMs for voice if you want it. Look at 1841s or 2800s if you've got money to burn.

At the moment, there isn't anything in particular you need to get.