Options

Just Ordered a 2650XM, have a few questions

mark076hmark076h Member Posts: 154
I just ordered the 2650XM. I am looking to upgrade it to the 48MB Flash because from my understanding you need 48MB to run the 12.4 IOS.

Now you also need a particular Boot Rom to support 48MB Flash. The version in the router I am getting is ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r]. Is that the correct version I need? I should just be able to put the 32MB Module in place of the 16MB and it will detect 48MB?

also, I only need 128MB DRAM correct?

Comments

• Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148
    mark076h wrote: »
    I just ordered the 2650XM. I am looking to upgrade it to the 48MB Flash because from my understanding you need 48MB to run the 12.4 IOS.

Now you also need a particular Boot Rom to support 48MB Flash. The version in the router I am getting is ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.2(8r) [cmong 8r]. Is that the correct version I need? I should just be able to put the 32MB Module in place of the 16MB and it will detect 48MB?

also, I only need 128MB DRAM correct?

Yes thats the correct boot root, and max DRAM is 256 (2x 12icon_cool.gif
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The upgraded ROMMON (12.2(8r) [cmong 8r]) is needed to support 128MB SIMMs to allow you to have a maximum of 2x128MB memory. Any other combination with 1x128 + something else is valid as well.

The old ROMMON (12.2(7r) [cmong 7r]) only supports 2x64MB memory maximum.

Both boot ROMs work with 48MB flash. If you add or change the flash SIMM then you must format the flash before use. You may need to do an XMODEM or TFTP transfer if your existing IOS is larger than 16MB as it will be corrupted when you swap the flash SIMM. The trick if you're stuck with XMODEM is to pick a small IOS just so you can then use that to do a proper TFTP transfer later. Don't forget to change the baud rate as well.

You must have 12.3.11T IOS or newer to support > 128MB memory. Use the Cisco Feature Navigator if you want to find out what are the requirements for a particular version of IOS.