Options

Have you studied with this book? 70-646

Hi, I'm studying for the 70-646 using Amazon.com: 70-646, Package: Windows Server 2008 Administrator (Microsoft Official Academic Course Series) (9780470133293): Microsoft Official Academic Course: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

Has anyone used this book and passed the exam? I have no experience and no education prior to this book with the world of microsoft servers. It now feels like my study experiences have been built on a foundation of sand.

Can I use this book and reasonably expect to pass? I have alot of respect for the opinions I get from TE members, if you guys say don't do it, I won't.

Now I'm worried my whole approach is wrong....my books suck (I'm doing the MCITP:SA track in college, but studying the Windows 7 client exam independently), and we're going through the server administrator series in the WRONG ORDER (thank you earweed for pointing this out).

I'm doing well with this textbook and understand the material presented. If the books sucks, though, that doesn't mean anything and I will fail the 70-646 in December.

If you guys can confirm what I'm afraid of, I'll step back from my goals on the MCITP:SA track and just go through the :EA track when I start at WGU this summer.
Climb a mountain, tell no one.

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    Holy cow I just read a review on amazon.com for the Wiley book...
    The FAILURE rate for students taking the MCITP exams for our classes is 100%.
    icon_rolleyes.gif I will most definetly NOT be taking the 70-646 in December.

For anyone else looking at the book Microsoft Official Academic Course: Windows Server 2008 Administrator MCITP Exam 70646 steer clear. Don't buy it, don't bother reading it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used this book for a class in college and was not impressed at all. I don't know what other people are using for the test but I can say that this book probably doesn't go into enough detail for you to pass the exam. Not only that but the book is quite pricey in comparison to other resources out there. I just noticed that Darril Gibson has a book out there for this exam.. that might be something to look into.
  • Options
    xmalachi wrote: »
    I used this book for a class in college and was not impressed at all. I don't know what other people are using for the test but I can say that this book probably doesn't go into enough detail for you to pass the exam. Not only that but the book is quite pricey in comparison to other resources out there. I just noticed that Darril Gibson has a book out there for this exam.. that might be something to look into.

Thanks for the feedback! Especially good to hear from you since you've used the book! Did you take the exam? I'll probably just study for it/take the exam through WGU. I'm going to use this class/book as a gentle introduction into microsoft's server products.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, I did not take the exam. I wasn't interested much in Microsoft at that point nor did I have any requirements for me to take the exam. I guess at that point I didn't see how vital MS would be in my career.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've heard good things about the Darril Gibson book Amazon.com: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study Guide: (Exam 70-646) (9780470293157): Darril Gibson: Books: Reviews, Prices & more but it would be advisable to do the 70-640 and 70-642 first as you will see a lot of that info on the 70-646.
    Za3bour recently took the 646 and would probably be a good person to comment on the DG book.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    CChilderhoseCChilderhose Member Posts: 137
    I have been using the MS Press book along with other materials like the practice tests that come with the kit, Transcender, Kaplan Self Test Study Guide.

I also lab at home with VMware Workstation 7 as well. There is allot of material out there and some recommend the Unleashed book as well.

Also I noticed your plan of attack for the exams and you may want to leave 646 for last. I have done a boot camp and passed 642, 640 but then failed 646.

It is better to take the 642, 640 before the 646 as it gives you more information to help with the questions on the 646.

I am taking the 646 again this Thursday as I fell short in the 2 highest ranked categories which caused me to fail with a 656.

Anyway just some thoughts. Good luck on your studies.
    VCAP-DCA, VCP 55
    MCITP: EA, VA, SA
    VCAP-DCD, VCP6 -- COMING SOON
  • Options
    Also I noticed your plan of attack for the exams and you may want to leave 646 for last.

I'm not going to take the exam until I start at WGU next summer. I think they can do a better job of helping to prepare for the MCITP:EA exams than my current school has done to prepare students for the MCITP:SA exams. And really it comes down to the book and study materials. I'm using the MS Press book for 70-680 and love it.
    I am taking the 646 again this Thursday

Good luck! You can do it!!

To anyone else that happens across this thread, stay away from the Wiley "Microsoft Official Academic Course" books. They don't cover R2, the labs and reading material don't correspond well enough with exam objectives, and there are more errata in this book than in most certification oriented books. Even the errata have errata from what I've heard. You've been warned!
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For 70-646 I have used two books

Amazon.com: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study Guide: (Exam 70-646) (9780470293157): Darril Gibson: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

Amazon.com: MCITP Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-646): Windows Server Administration (9780735625105): Orin Thomas, Ian McLean: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

Both books were good I think Microsoft book was slightly better and IMO it's better to have both of them.The exam itself was tough I have to say so make sure to lab a lot and you do need to read some of technet resources as well.

The exam now covers Windows 2008 R2 so make sure to lab with it as well
  • Options
    Jander1023Jander1023 Member Posts: 160
    I am currently using the MS Press book by Thomas/McLean. I am happy with it, so far. I am about 75% thru the book. I have used MS Press books for all of my Microsoft certs.

You should definitely take the 640 and 642 before sitting the 646. If you self-study and pass all of them before enrolling at WGU, that will save you time and money. Like many here, I use a combination of the MS Press book, practice questions (Measure Up and/or Self Test) and lab work at home. You can use free VM software to create your own virtual servers on your home computer.

Honestly, if you cannot figure out how to setup a VM server at home for labbing, then you might be in the wrong field. There are tons of threads on this forum related to setting up VMs. That's how I learned; reading the posts here, in addition to asking questions on this forum.

There is nothing wrong with using WGU to take and pass all of your certifications. However, why not save the money, self-study, complete all the certifications and then enroll. I believe that cuts out almost half the curriculum. So, you would save 4 semesters worth of tuition, minus the expense of taking the exams on their own.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ُWell if you havn't taken 642/640 yet then I wouldn't advice taking 646 first at all. real time experience is essential too with this particular exam.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd also like to point out that you should get at least 2 or 3 of the certs you will take at WGU before applying as they have an IT scholarship which you can qualify for if you transfer in previous college credits and 2 or more certs.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/56558-wgu-information-technology-professionals-scholarships.html
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    contentproscontentpros Member Posts: 115 ■■■■□□□□□□
    earweed wrote: »
    I've heard good things about the Darril Gibson book Amazon.com: MCITP: Windows Server 2008 Server Administrator Study Guide: (Exam 70-646) (9780470293157): Darril Gibson: Books: Reviews, Prices & more but it would be advisable to do the 70-640 and 70-642 first as you will see a lot of that info on the 70-646.
    Za3bour recently took the 646 and would probably be a good person to comment on the DG book.

This is the book we provide for training our Jr. staff members. Overall it does a pretty good job teaching the concepts you need to know. This book combined with some basic labs should get you through the test.

Regards,

~CP