Options

DSL question

DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
My WAN networking knowledge is limited, but this just doesn't seem right.

The other day we got a letter from the DSL company that they are going to be upgrading their copper to fiber and to expect a new modem the day before the switch. I just can't see what a new modem is going to be needed for this. I doubt that they will be running their fiber up to my doorstep, so if it is still coming into my house through copper, why would my current modem not work?

Thanks
Decide what to be and go be it.

Comments

• Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Complete guess, but if their backbone needs to change to support the fiber they may need to upgrade older modems to be compatible with their new backbone, reguardless of the media being transmitted on.

Just a guess though.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    Complete guess, but if their backbone needs to change to support the fiber they may need to upgrade older modems to be compatible with their new backbone, reguardless of the media being transmitted on.

Just a guess though.

It is possible, but my modem is from last year. I would think that would support the newest technologies. I guess I'll just have to wait and see for the 22nd to roll around and see if the DSL light goes out.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You on ADSL1 or ADSL2? If you're on ADSL 1 then you might be getting an ADSL2+ modem since with their fiber upgrade they might be now able to offer high speeds?

The other possibility is that they're implementing FTTC and you now need a VDSL modem but that is unlikely...
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    That doesn't make sense. Your DSL connection is terminated at the MSAN or DSLAM so a change from copper to fiber in their link doesn't change anything.
  • Options
    If anyone is curious, as they said the old modem died and the new one had to be installed.

I don't think the old modem was compatible with VDSL2, and that is what they upgraded to.
  • Options
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    I don't think the old modem was compatible with VDSL2, and that is what they upgraded to.
    They implemented FTTC? Generally that is the only time you use VDSL/VDSL2 as there is no advantage over ADSL for long distance circuits.

What sync speeds you getting?
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    What sync speeds you getting?

Same connection speed as before, 1.5mbps down. But now we have the option to pay more a month for faster service. I should have ran a speedtest before and after to see if it made any difference, but I was busy at the time and didn't think about it.