70-299 Cheated; I Want A Rematch!

Well now, that hurt.

Afte taking something like 16 MS Tests and never having failed, I finally failed one. Obviously I did not prep completely... but I'd also have to echo previous statements here and state that the "Self Study" kit is not only not enough, but it is not aligned with the test. For the concepts covered, I am about 90% confident I did fine (and my realms reflect that fact.) For the uncovered topics, I did not so well.

There were some very poorly worded questions on my test as well... this was the first time I was inclined to comment on specific questions.

But! I'll retool and swing back by tomorrow or Sunday. I know what I need to read.
I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.

Comments

• danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    Sorry to hear that news.

We've all been there. Having failed one exam twice this year, I console myself with the thought that these exams are worth taking because it is possible to fail them: it shows their rigour, even if we don't appreciate that at the time.

Good luck with the next attempt!
    -- Dan
  • DragonNOA1DragonNOA1 Member Posts: 149 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd also have to echo previous statements here and state that the "Self Study" kit is not only not enough

What "Self Study kit" are you referring to?
    The command line, an elegant weapon for a more civilized age
  • SabaloSabalo Member Posts: 100
    DragonNOA1 wrote: »
    What "Self Study kit" are you referring to?

Microsoft Press' book for the enterprising person what does not want to pay thousands of dollars for classes. Usually, they are enough... or they at least touch on everything. This time, not so much.
    I'm no expert, I'm just a guy with some time, money, and the desire to learn a few things.

Completed ITILv3 on 11/20, working on College & METEO, reading Classics on my Kindle, organizing my music library with Mediamonkey & TuneUp, trying to lose a wee bit of weight by running, eating less, and lifting weights, planning for my stateside vacation, and wasting time posting on forums.
  • za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear that, I usually use Sybex books in addition to MS books so if there's a book about this exam I recommend you read about it in Amazon and get it if you can.

I agree about the poorly worded questions, exams are full of them and they're even worse to a non native English speaker.
    za3bour wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that, I usually use Sybex books in addition to MS books so if there's a book about this exam I recommend you read about it in Amazon and get it if you can.

I agree about the poorly worded questions, exams are full of them and they're even worse to a non native English speaker.

I imagine so!

Good news is that I continued with my plans anyway and took 298 today. Passed it, so I'm now an MCSE. One more test until I can consider myself done for the year.

298 had an ESL option, interestingly.

• za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That is good news congratulations, it seems you achieved a lot in 2010 do you have similar plans for 2011 ?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on getting your MCSE!
    That's quite an accomplishment. So you finally met an MS exam that got you off guard? Happens to all of us but glad to see you persevered.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • willhi1979willhi1979 Member Posts: 191
    Congrats on passing the 298 and good luck on the 299. Some of the exams have pretty badly worded questions. Any advice for someone prepping for them?
    That is good news congratulations, it seems you achieved a lot in 2010 do you have similar plans for 2011 ?

2011 is going to be a CCNA - Security year for sure. I'll also be working on my Bachelors Degree, self-studying Spanish, and building up the base knowledge required to pass the CISSP by July. So, a pretty relaxing year. icon_wink.gif

2010 was a busy year if only because I have 12 hours a day at work 6 days a week and we've streamlined the work process here so that the days are somewhat slow.
    That's quite an accomplishment. So you finally met an MS exam that got you off guard? Happens to all of us but glad to see you persevered.

Yeah, I knew that statistically I was bound to miss one eventually, especially at the pace I've been going. And thanks! The MCITP: EA just did not "taste" as good as having that coveted MCSE title, dunno why.
    Congrats on passing the 298 and good luck on the 299. Some of the exams have pretty badly worded questions. Any advice for someone prepping for them?

Thanks! The best advice I can give, especially for the older tests, is a) know how to DO things, don't just memorize answers and b) be sure to use multiple sources of material for your test. I made the mistake of becoming complacent in using MS Press exclusively, and it cost me a victory. I will not make the same mistake again.

It took a Phoenix down and the unfortunate destruction of Mysidia, but victory is mine. Please cue the Final Fantasy Victory music. I'll be in the corner, sleeping. icon_wink.gif

MCSE: Security is mine.

• genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Congratulations!!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Congratulations!!

Thanks! time go to to sleep for 30 years.