Config a 3750X for voice

Hey Voice techies...

My first foray into setting up some voice at work... I'd appreciate a quick once-over my config before I paste it in.

Every port will have a 7960 plugged into it, and either a laptop of a pc will piggy-back into the phone. I'm okay with the default cos 0 for data and 5 for voice.

So, how's this look:
!
int range g1/0/1 -48
mls qos trust cos
sw ac vl 201
sw vo vl 211
!

If I understand correctly, that'll put data into vlan 201, and voice into vlan 211, with the switch trusting the cos passed to it by the phone. Yeah?

I'm a bit fuzzy on the "sw priority extend cos/trust" command. If I'm okay with the phone accepting what the laptop/pc gives it, do I have to config this command? If so, I'm tempted to use the "trust" parameter and call it a day. I suppose the better option might be to apply the "cos 0" parameter and force data traffic to work the way I expect.

Thanks,
Mike
There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.

Comments

• chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    My QoS knowledge is pretty crappy- which remindes me I need to pick up my QoS book again.

For really basic config all you need to get going would be something along the lines of:
     mls qos trust device cisco-phone
     mls qos trust cos
     auto qos voip cisco-phone

Naturally this may not optimize it perfectly for the situation, but it will work.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    Very nice... thanks. Makes sense.
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.