Options

Modular Access Vs. Security Access Routers

hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
I hate to start many new threads and bug you guys with more questions, but I have a question that just crossed my mind right after I made my first bid on the 1721 modular access router. After I made my bid, I checked out the specifications on the 1721 router, but then I compared it with another router, 1710 which is in the same series, but it comes with no WIC module interface. Then I looked up the specification on the 1710 router and started to lose my mind, because I dunno which router I'm better off with. I hope someone outbid me soon since I need to do more research. I need to know the advantages and disadvantages of modular access and security access routers.

The 1721 router I bid on has two DSU/CSU T1 cards, and I'm not familiar with the security routers yet. I just wanted to be prepared for the CCNA Security later, and I want to know if all 1721 routers have VPN and SDM feature included or not. If not, then please tell me how I can identify which router has both features.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    1721 > 1710. You don't want to buy 1710s because you can't put WICs into them. There are some other odd variants of the 1700s which don't let you change the WIC as well. The 1720 isn't ideal either but it is significantly better than a 1710. You're limited in terms of IOS and SDM doesn't work on it. The 1721 is fine however.