Does W2K3 Support RIS?

jlcivjlciv Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm pretty sure it does, just curious.

I'm going to setting up a RIS server in the coming months to manage a library of laptop/desktop images. Can someone give me a few pointers as to what I should be thinking about? I've never set anything up like this and would appreciate someone's insight to points I should take into consideration in deploying a ris server via server 2003.

Thanks in advance! icon_confused.gif:

Comments

• lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Yeah, it does support RIS-- I use it for my lab machines... Coolness factor is way high to boot a machine and have it auto install Windows.

However if this is newer hardware you might have to add the nic driver to the RIS installation folder or else it might start but won't finish. icon_sad.gif

I personally prefer using Ghost. You can use a network boot disk from bootdisk.com and make it into a bootable CD. Use at least Ghost 7.5 to write to an NTFS partition. You might have to tweak your server's security settings to allow logging in from DOS but it's a lot quicker and easier than the installation process IMHO. This is the system used where I work.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    RIS is way too coooool.......I'm setting up my second now, just to see it again, also just in time for the best show on TV...24!!!!! 11 minutes.....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    Ricka182 wrote:
    RIS is way too coooool.......I'm setting up my second now, just to see it again, also just in time for the best show on TV...24!!!!! 11 minutes.....

The idea of unattended install is so that you DON'T have to sit there.

....but I admit i do the same. I like to watch. ;)
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.