Options

Passed it (close one)

ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
I passed this afternoon with a 766. Close, but not as close as my 70-290. :p

A pass is a pass, so I'll take it.

There were some poorly worded questions on there. Almost felt like English may have not been the first language of the test designer.

Don't underestimate this test. I think that had something to do with my less than desirable score as well. I should have taken a little more time with my material. Going to school full time on top of this didn't help. I wanted to get it done before the policy changed.
Oh well, it's done and over with! :)

I used Testout, the TechNotes here on this site, Transcender, and Darril's book.

Time for a break. My upcoming semester will be 18 credit hours, so no new certs until it's over.
Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    Reseven wrote: »
    I passed this afternoon with a 766. Close, but not as close as my 70-290. :p

A pass is a pass, so I'll take it.

There were some poorly worded questions on there. Almost felt like English may have not been the first language of the test designer.

Don't underestimate this test. I think that had something to do with my less than desirable score as well. I should have taken a little more time with my material. Going to school full time on top of this didn't help. I wanted to get it done before the policy changed.
    Oh well, it's done and over with! :)

I used Testout, the TechNotes here on this site, Transcender, and Darril's book.

Time for a break. My upcoming semester will be 18 credit hours, so no new certs until it's over.

When you say you used Darrel's book, did you read it entirely?
  • Options
    gonXgonX Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    brownwrap wrote: »
    When you say you used Darrel's book, did you read it entirely?

OP must have atleast read enough to pass, OP is right about poorly worded questions its like some where made by some guy in India using google translator.
  • Options
    King AshrafKing Ashraf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on being Security+ certified!
  • Options
    K_RichK_Rich Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370

Congrats man - I passed Yesterday. And yes! There were some horribly worded questions. I finished my A+ and Net+ well before the given 1.5 hour time frame was up. With Sec+ I used all of the 1.5hours, for I spent most of my time re reading the questions and trying to decipher what the heck the question was trying to get at.

There was also a few grammar errors. for example they were several instances of this type of grammar error where they should have used a plural noun and not a singular noun. " I saw seven cat walking down the street." Cat should have equaled Cats. ( just a fictional example. I cant remember what exactly was on the Exam, for I was so nerve racked.)
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    ResevenReseven Member Posts: 237 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys.

@brownwrap - Yes, I read the whole book, did the practice questions at the end of each chapter, scored well on those (90%+). I did the practice test at the end of the book, and did well. I think I scored 88%. I even went back and re-read some chapters where Transcender showed my weaknesses. Darril's questions were worded very well. I think I had maybe 10 questions on that actual test that were worded that well.

I loved Darril's book. I would easily chose any works by him for future exams. Very well written which is something I cannot say about CompTIA's exam.

gonX and sthompson86 are right on about the grammar. Without violating the NDA I can't give you specifics. Something like the tenses used in the question, oddly chosen verbiage to relate an action, and obvious avoidance of using terms that may have sounded too MS are all examples I could give.

I re-read one question 3 times before I realized that 3 words could have been replaced with one word and the question could have made more sense.

When using practice exams, the scores I received from Transcender and Testout reflected my score on the actual test more accurately.

I did notice that many here have used CBT nuggets for this one. I chose not to, maybe I should have. BUT - I did still pass! :)

EDIT -
    Oh, I just wanted to add this. Half way through this thing I felt that it was going poorly for me. The thought crossed my mind that I should get it over with, fail, and go home to get back to studying. I finished with all the questions and hit the "Review All" button. I knew if I had any chance of passing, I'd need to go back and have a second look. I did change a few answers but I still did not feel good about the exam. I think I had 15 minutes left on the clock. I hit the end exam button and waited for my first fail. My eyes burst out of my head and hit the screen when it said pass. So don't give up on any exam even if you feel it's not going well. Give it your best.
    Pain Gauge - my electro-industrial music project
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    EDIT -
    Oh, I just wanted to add this. Half way through this thing I felt that it was going poorly for me. The thought crossed my mind that I should get it over with, fail, and go home to get back to studying. I finished with all the questions and hit the "Review All" button. I knew if I had any chance of passing, I'd need to go back and have a second look. I did change a few answers but I still did not feel good about the exam. I think I had 15 minutes left on the clock. I hit the end exam button and waited for my first fail. My eyes burst out of my head and hit the screen when it said pass. So don't give up on any exam even if you feel it's not going well. Give it your best.

just got back from 701& 702, felt the same about 702, but I never change answers, this time I did, not sure if it helped me or hurt me though...

congrats on the pass
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
  • Options
    pixelperson1pixelperson1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I agree that the questions were poorly written.

Some were just stupid. But I just dealt with it. I think that living in South Florida with all of our diverse culture helped put me in the right frame of mind.

The key was to read everything s-l-o-w-l-y and realy understand the question.

Not easy.
    C. Christensen
    CompTia Network+; A+ Certified, Security+
    www.creativeoverload.com
  • Options
    kidkenpokidkenpo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whew,It was tougher than I thought! Passed today with a 776. I used Comptia book and the practice tests on this site. Questions were definitely misleading, so take your time and reread again if needed.

Congrats to all that passed!

Btw my buddy that went with me today passed with an 833 (punk) icon_wink.gif

Great forum!

This was the first of many, next is windows 7.