Options

device serial numbers with CLI?

itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
icon_study.gifhey guys
can I find all the serial numbers on my cisco devices routers, switches, asa
via command or do I have to physically be right in front of device or really behind it? thanks

Comments

• Options
    Find Cisco Serial Numbers with the IOS Command Line | Slaptijack

okay google is my freaking friend ahhahah
    thanks men....icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The serial number doesn't always match up with what is on the back of the box. Certain chassis based devices would have another serial on the chassis but a different one in the EEPROM.
  • Options
    tiersten

so tiersten
    the best thing for me to do is go physically look on the back of each device to be accurate huh?

I did find the "show inventory" command that states it shows like you said the EPPROM serial.
  • Options
    itdaddy wrote: »
    the best thing for me to do is go physically look on the back of each device to be accurate
    If you want to be 100% sure of the chassis number then yes. It is generally correct but some devices don't show you the correct number from software.
    I did find the "show inventory" command that states it shows like you said the EPPROM serial.
    Also try:

show module
    show diagbus
    show idprom

Some of those commands won't work on certain devices or you'll need to run it from the MSFC etc...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tiersten

so tiersten
    the best thing for me to do is go physically look on the back of each device to be accurate huh?

He is correct.

I've had different numbers on devices and the box. Not frequently, but enough over the years to always check both and record what I purchased v the devices tag (or some items record yet another on the 'dashboard' or firmware). SO if you need this for recordkeeping confirm with vendor which number they want if you need support. Almost never will they take the carton/box number over the tag on the device...just confirm it before you need it. FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    aaaahahhh I guess it is road trip time ahhahaha;)
    thanks dudes ;)

want to do it right first time you know ...thanks a lotoicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    aaaahahhh I guess it is road trip time ahhahaha;)
    Afraid so but thankfully once you've got the list of chassis sticker serial, component serial numbers and software displayed serial numbers then in theory you don't need to do it again in the future. Make sure it is kept up to date though otherwise you will need to trek out and do it again.
  • Options
    thanks tiersten

true dat! :)