Options

Decided to take the 70-270

ScoobsScoobs Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
So i've decided i should get an MCP under my belt as it would look good on my CV, i've been using XP since it came out and supporting it in a work enviroment for at least 5 years.

I would like some advice on study materials, a friend has given me the Exam Cram 2 - Windows XP Pro book (second edition) and I just ordered MCSA/MCSE Windows XP Professional Study Guide: Exam (70-270).

Does anyone know if there are any training video's available?

I recently took and passed my ITIL Foundation and found the training videos on youtube posted by user Islebebach much better than any of the books that were available.

Thanks for any help, my exam is booked for December 17th! Let's hope it'll be a very certified xmas this year!
Beer v1 Master
ITILv3 Foundation - Passed
70-270 XP - 17/12/10

Comments

• Options
    JapFreak786JapFreak786 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i liked the TestOut videos that i have for XP,gave you illustrations and examples and showed you how to do stuff,worth it in my opinion
  • Options
    Mojo_666Mojo_666 Member Posts: 438
    I used the MS Press Book and Self Test Questions for that exam and had like you been working on XP for a few years when I took the exam in 2006.
  • Options
    i liked the TestOut videos that i have for XP,gave you illustrations and examples and showed you how to do stuff,worth it in my opinion

Where would i get my paws on some of those and how much did they cost?
    Beer v1 Master
    70-270 XP - 17/12/10
  • Options
    Mojo_666 wrote: »
    I used the MS Press Book and Self Test Questions for that exam and had like you been working on XP for a few years when I took the exam in 2006.

Thanks for the reply Mojo, i know it was a while ago but which of the 9 sections do you think was the hardest?

I'm going to start some hard revision next week (2 hours+ a day) and hopefully get some practise tests done to hopefully see where my weak areas are.
    Beer v1 Master
    70-270 XP - 17/12/10
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    With 5 years of support under your belt just use the MS Press book with the included test prep, TechNet, and a secondary test prep software like selftest or Transcender. On a client exam I would never spend too much money to get certified.

Spend the money on stuff like TestOut when there is a greater learning curve, then you get more bang for your buck.

Here is my suggestion to you:
    Since you have 5 years of support experience with Windows XP don't dedicate too much time to study. You should know a lot al ready. The bulk of time should be spent on exam prep. Here is a 4 week plan using MS Press, Included MeasureUp tests, and Transcender (or SelfTest).
    First Week: Take a quick practice test using MeasureUp. Do not answer any questions you are not sure of the answer. If you are in doubt, leave it blank. You'll almost certainly fail this test. But use the score to find out which objectives you are weakest in. Study those objectives in the book. Do lab work on anything you find difficult.
    Week Two: Take another quick test with MeasureUp. Do not answer questions you don't know the answer to. If you are still weak on any of the objectives of the previous week spend extra time labbing. Look up stuff in TechNet to get more detail.

Week Three: Same as Week Two.

Week 4: Using Transcender or SelfTest take a cert mode test exactly like you would if it was the realy thing. Go slow and think every question through. Do this everyday. Make sure you review any problem objectives. If you are getting scores in the high 80s to low 90s by the middle of the week, schedule your exam. Otherwise, you might want to extend the time a week or so.

My opinion, for exams like these where you have a lot of experience, nock them out fast. There is little reasson to spend 3 months on a client exam when you have such a strong background.