Options

Booked Security+ for next Tuesday - Gulp

2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been studying Security plus for 5 days and I'm taking the test on this coming Tuesday.
I bought Darrel's book on Kindle two nights ago. I've read half the book and I miss 1-2 questions per end of chapter test. I've been in IT for 10 years and I spend a lot of time dealing with security on a daily basis. In addition, I am also studying for CCNA Security right now.

Ok, now I feel a little better about this... :) Thanks for listening.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    2ndchance wrote: »
    I've been studying Security plus for 5 days and I'm taking the test on this coming Tuesday.
    I bought Darrel's book on Kindle two nights ago. I've read half the book and I miss 1-2 questions per end of chapter test. I've been in IT for 10 years and I spend a lot of time dealing with security on a daily basis. In addition, I am also studying for CCNA Security right now.

Ok, now I feel a little better about this... :) Thanks for listening.

Well, looks like you gotta a busy weekend. Just concentrate on Darril's book and you'll (hopefully) be fine for Tuesday. You might be cutting it close though, but if you're able to finish the book and the exam questions, the only good thing is that you'll have a good deal of information fresh in your mind. But I fear you MIGHT be cutting it close. I'd hate for you to spend all day Monday cramming, when that should be the day you just chill out. Yeah you got 10 years of experience and that might be helpful, but you still don't want to underestimate this exam...though with proper study, this exam is cake.

Just something to think about.
  • Options
    Now you got me a little worried... icon_sad.gif

I appreciate the caution and I will keep in mind that I cannot spend all of Monday cramming. At my current pace, I expect to finish Darrel's book by tomorrow and take the practice test. That will allow me to focus on light reading and reinforcement on Sunday afternoon and Monday.

Although I've yet to pass it, I have gone over with the MCTS: Network Infrastructure and CCNA Security material extensively. Thus far Darrel's book has been a great read and it has been mostly a synthesis of knowledge.
  • Options
    Now you got me a little worried... icon_sad.gif

I appreciate the caution and I will keep in mind that I cannot spend all of Monday cramming. At my current pace, I expect to finish Darrel's book by tomorrow and take the practice test. That will allow me to focus on light reading and reinforcement on Sunday afternoon and Monday.

Although I've yet to pass it, I have gone over with the MCTS: Network Infrastructure and CCNA Security material extensively. Thus far Darrel's book has been a great read and it has been mostly a synthesis of knowledge.

I don't think you'll have problems with stuff like HIDS, NIDS, virii, malware and the like. If you can finish the book (and score 80% on the final exam of Darril's book), you have a great shot of passing. I just worry that you might be cutting it close. All I can advise at this point is that when you do sit for the Security+ exam, to just read each question carefully. Between your A+ and Network+ knowledge, plus stuff that should be fresh, you probably will pass. I would heed that advise for the final exam. Out of the 10 questions I got wrong, there were a few I should have gotten right had I just read them right. I imagine it was the same in the real test, though there were a couple that I probably really didn't know. (I imagine those might have been the dummy questions).

You will probably be fine, just don't spend Monday fully cramming for it. Just do a light review and then spend your next day cramming on stuff you are week on an hour or two before you take the exam.

Everything you need to know about Security+ (and NOT information security) is in Darril Gibson's book. That much I am certain about.
  • Options
    Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck, 2ndchance! I booked my exam for this Thursday, although I can always postpone a few days. I gotta read Chapters 7-10 of Darril's book still. About another 150 pages.
    In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
    Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
    Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
    ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS
  • Options
    Good luck, Cert Poor! You can do it.

I passed my Security+ this morning quite easily. Thanks erpadmin for giving me a little caution. That caused me to study harder!
  • Options
    Good luck, Cert Poor! You can do it.

I passed my Security+ this morning quite easily. Thanks erpadmin for giving me a little caution. That caused me to study harder!

Great job and congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    PanderPander Member Posts: 34 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!!!
  • Options
    burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes Congrats on the Pass!!