Options

Well i'm getting laid off lol

I work for a large Payment Card provider and they are laying off our ENTIRE facility.

But you know what, I'm happy that its forcing me into an even higher gear to get my CCNA right now. I have my CCNP foundation library sitting here as well as my CCDA book and I think....this is a great opportunity to study and learn.

I worked as a Network Ops Help Desk sup. My job will be ending sometime after New Years.

I have 4 Years experience in a Tier 2 HD support role at a major ISP and 4 years experience in a Network Ops HD in the Payment industry...maybe its time to move up to something better.

This is layoff number 2....

Comments

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That sucks. I am sorry to hear that. Maybe get it in gear with the NA, brush off your resume and start looking.
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    I see you're from East TN... you wouldn't happen to be speaking of the large merchant processor in Knoxville, on Chapman?

Also, that sucks. I was laid off from my last job too.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    forkvoid wrote: »
    I see you're from East TN... you wouldn't happen to be speaking of the large merchant processor in Knoxville, on Chapman?

Also, that sucks. I was laid off from my last job too.

this is in Johnson City but yes its a LARGE merchant processor
  • Options
    forkvoidforkvoid Member Posts: 317
    this is in Johnson City but yes its a LARGE merchant processor

Ahh, yes, it appears to be the same company that's headquartered down here in Knoxville. I used to work for them a few years back--not exactly a good experience, in my opinion. Best of luck to you in the studies and job hunt.
    The beginning of knowledge is understanding how little you actually know.
  • Options
    forkvoid wrote: »
    Ahh, yes, it appears to be the same company that's headquartered down here in Knoxville. I used to work for them a few years back--not exactly a good experience, in my opinion. Best of luck to you in the studies and job hunt.

They have like a jillion offices, I think knoxville is a regional sales office now or something. Our group (about 200 people) were a branch of Alliance Data, we were purchased by Heartland, and now we are decommissioned since they figured out how to support our client base.

Its just business, its what happens.

Their headquarters is in NJ or , there are still so many ties to Fujitsu and Alliance Data.

I think its a great oppourtunity for me to flex my skills and get some interviews lol
  • Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    It is just business but it still sucks and you have a right to feel shafted if you do. I myself was laid off on Monday with no prior notice. 30-day severance and 60-days of paid COBRA are what I was offered but it didn't matter. I worked for a 503(b)(c) and they don't have to pay Unemployment tax....i.e. no Unemployment insurance.

Well, I just agreed to a 90 day I-9 contract with a company that's been interested in bringing me on board but wants to be sure I'll fit in with their organization.

I'm not trying to hijack your thread, just telling you this because I was pissed and I was pissed when I got laid off in 2008 too. Even when an employer lays you off the right way it still kinda feels like a rejection.

Things work out in the end of course and if you're skills are sharp then you'll have no problem garnering new employment quickly.

Good luck
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    Keep a positive attitude, it can be tough. I lost my job about 5 months ago and was about to give up until I got a killer job offer yesterday that I didn't even apply for. They called me off of DICE.com :)
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    shaqazoolushaqazoolu Member Posts: 259 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That sucks bro, but I think you have a good attitude about it. It sounds like you are motivated and you have good experience to back it up. Knock those certs out while you have the chance. I am confident you will be able to land something even better.
    :study:
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    why are they laying you off? a guy I go to school with worked at a place and they laid them all off and shipped the jobs to Mexico, since they shipped his job out of the country, the government has picked up his entire school tab, books and all
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    IT_FANIT_FAN Member Posts: 88 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I worked in Automotive industry and our plant closed. I decide to go back to school and update my certifications. It's a bad economy and everyone seems to know someone who has gotten laid off.
    CompTIA A+ (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Network + (2009 Edition) | CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) | CASP | CCDA | CCNA | CCNAS | CCNAV | CCDP | CCNP | CCNP:Security | MCTS | MCP | MCSA | MCSE | MCITP:EA | ITIL v3 Foundation 8)
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    When one door closes, another opens. Glad to see that you are taking this as a positive.

Don't worry, you're next job will pay $10k more.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    DevilsbaneDevilsbane Member Posts: 4,214 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Mike-Mike wrote: »
    why are they laying you off? a guy I go to school with worked at a place and they laid them all off and shipped the jobs to Mexico, since they shipped his job out of the country, the government has picked up his entire school tab, books and all

Was that through the dislocated workers program? I had a bunch of people that I was going to school with doing that.
    Decide what to be and go be it.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody I appreciate it.

My plan now is to just finish up my CCNA in the next week or two. Im hitting 90's with occasional 80's on my ICND2 practice tests. I feel pretty positive it will be an easy pass like ICND1.

I have targeted my trouble areas and identified what I need to do to close my gaps.

I will jump into CCNP studies while finishing my resume and start applying. I will still be at my job until around Feb unless they decide to really gut the jobs early. If unemployment hits the wife and I have saved enough to be good for a while, plus i'll get unemployment benefits to help our bank account from being chipped away quickly.

This is a total opportunity for me to really take all the professional and technical growth over the past 9 years and re-invent myself. Now all I need is some 2600XM and a couple 3550's ...unemployment here I come lol.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Devilsbane wrote: »
    Was that through the dislocated workers program? I had a bunch of people that I was going to school with doing that.

sounds like that could be it, it wasn't me it was a student at my school... i got laid off, but they were just cutting back, not shipping jobs overseas... i do get unemployment though, and i don't have to look for a job since I am in an approved training program
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    pixelperson1pixelperson1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Getting laid off.

I know tons of folks who got the axe. Count your blessings. Get certified, or go to school.

Most companies stress out the remaining people to the point where they quit, go crazy, or just do a sloppy job until they get fired.

Think "marketable job skills." Company 'loyalty' doesn't exist. It was killed decades ago when the first manufacturing jobs started going oversea. Then outsourcing became vogue with top management. And the list goes on.

I was also laid off about 7 years ago. I went back to school, and picked up a B.Sc. IT degree.

Look into possible Government retraining programs. Student loans are still available.

Big warning though. Make certain that they are from a quality IT program. Private for profit schools can be bad.
    C. Christensen
    CompTia Network+; A+ Certified, Security+
    www.creativeoverload.com
  • Options
    cisco_certscisco_certs Member Posts: 119
    IMO, I don't even think employer is looking if you have a degree. As long as you have active certifications (ex: CCNA, MCITP or other in demand certs) and experienced in that field then you are marketable.

A degree in IT is just saying that you are updated with the technology on that year you graduated. I guess that's one of the reason IT certs have 3 years expiration date. Also, outsourcing is inevitable. The world has change and we should adapt to it. Get as much certs as we can to be globally competitive.
  • Options
    Lol I didnt even get outsourced....This company bought the company we used to be, slapped their name on our technology and platforms then when they figured out how to support it they said "Well thanks for the laughs see yah later". From the outside it would appear to be a stupid move since our facility is still VERY profitable but lowering overall operating costs while consolidating support, training, knowledge to one high tech, ultra modern office in a cheaper area is definitely more courteous to our stockholders....i'm actually super happy i'm getting laid off. I have a lot more to offer the world at this point in my professional life.
  • Options
    brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    Everyone's experience is different with certs vs. education as is what each employer is looking for but I'm actually on the market now and have had 3 in-person interviews over the past 2 days because I was able to list a bachelor's degree under my education. I was primarily shooting for desktop level positions. Of course having certs listed behind my name didn't hurt but the key was the degree.
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sorry to hear about you getting laid off. At least you have a plan for your "off time" so it's not a total loss. Good luck in your CCNP studies.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    IMO, I don't even think employer is looking if you have a degree. As long as you have active certifications (ex: CCNA, MCITP or other in demand certs) and experienced in that field then you are marketable.
    . . .

I think it depends on where you're looking and what field you're in. If you're into infrastructure networking and have CCNA/CCNP+experience, a degree may not be a factor. In some crowded metropolitan markets, the degrees have become an easy screening factor for other IT areas (e.g. client support).
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    Norrlands TurkNorrlands Turk Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Lol I didnt even get outsourced....This company bought the company we used to be, slapped their name on our technology and platforms then when they figured out how to support it they said "Well thanks for the laughs see yah later". From the outside it would appear to be a stupid move since our facility is still VERY profitable but lowering overall operating costs while consolidating support, training, knowledge to one high tech, ultra modern office in a cheaper area is definitely more courteous to our stockholders....i'm actually super happy i'm getting laid off. I have a lot more to offer the world at this point in my professional life.

I also work at a Payment Card solutions company and I am also getting laid off around the same time as you. My current position in not very IT related but the reason why I am getting laid off (as well as other over 100 people) is pretty much the same as what you described above. It is time for me to move on anyway so I am not feeling too bad either. icon_rolleyes.gif
    WIP (Q2 - 2012):
    Undecided
  • Options
    I also work at a Payment Card solutions company and I am also getting laid off around the same time as you. My current position in not very IT related but the reason why I am getting laid off (as well as other over 100 people) is pretty much the same as what you described above. It is time for me to move on anyway so I am not feeling too bad either. icon_rolleyes.gif

Not HPS is it?
  • Options
    WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Sorry to hear that. But hey -- your going down a similiar route that I was (1. lay off 2. cert crazy 3. doors opened)

I believe there was a thread on this forum a few weeks ago about Employer Loyality.....yep....yet another example of why I believe it is dead and its a "all-man-for-himself" world out there.

Not to be a downer but this is a great time to reflect on your life, what you've done career wise and to think about your next move without the stress of work. When I got canned I thought to myself "...what WAS I DOING? I should of been pursuing my REAL passion all this time!" Sometimes we think of the dollar bill so much that we forget whats REALLY important and its not until we lose that dolalr bill that our minds focus on what we really want.

Good luck -- I know you'll bounce right back on your feet!
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that. But hey -- your going down a similiar route that I was (1. lay off 2. cert crazy 3. doors opened)

I believe there was a thread on this forum a few weeks ago about Employer Loyality.....yep....yet another example of why I believe it is dead and its a "all-man-for-himself" world out there.

Not to be a downer but this is a great time to reflect on your life, what you've done career wise and to think about your next move without the stress of work. When I got canned I thought to myself "...what WAS I DOING? I should of been pursuing my REAL passion all this time!" Sometimes we think of the dollar bill so much that we forget whats REALLY important and its not until we lose that dolalr bill that our minds focus on what we really want.

Good luck -- I know you'll bounce right back on your feet!

I just like to work, I dont get paid even half of what I should in my current role. Now it is a good time for change.