Options

Forcing CPU to run at max clock

exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know how to force a CPU(core 2 duo T6600) under Windows 7 to run at it's maximum clock (other than running a CPU intensive program)? I've looked in the BIOS setting and the only settings that are available for processor clock speed are dynamic and low. I tried setting the minimum possessor state to 100% under power options but it didn't work.

I'm asking as I have read somewhere that CPU frequency changes may be the cause of crackling issues with Realtek HD audio. I guess my only other alternative would be having to set the CPU speed to "low" in the BIOS settings.

Comments

• Options
    genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    exampasser wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to force a CPU(core 2 duo T6600) under Windows 7 to run at it's maximum clock (other than running a CPU intensive program)? I've looked in the BIOS setting and the only settings that are available for processor clock speed are dynamic and low. I tried setting the minimum possessor state to 100% under power options but it didn't work.

I'm asking as I have read somewhere that CPU frequency changes may be the cause of crackling issues with Realtek HD audio. I guess my only other alternative would be having to set the CPU speed to "low" in the BIOS settings.

Old school way of max'ing out the CPU for testing is to open Calculator in Scientific mode and then put in like six or seven 9's and press the 'n!' button. Watch your CPU jump! If it doesn't go to 100%, try running two simultaneous Calc processes. :)

***Note, at some point you'll be notified that the operation may take a long time to complete and can be canceled.

***Oops, missed the part about "other than running a CPU intense application". Please disregard. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I hate to be Captain Obvious, but you do know that your cpu probably runs at different speeds to conserve energy, right? Is that what you're talking about? Of course you know this! I apologize in advance, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence icon_silent.gif

EDIT: Actually, I reread your post. Does setting your computer in Windows 7 to "high performance" mode help?

Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options

High Performance automatically puts the minimum processor state at 100%
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    ehnde wrote: »

I don't have that option in my control panel?
  • Options
    exampasserexampasser Member Posts: 718 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    I hate to be Captain Obvious, but you do know that your cpu probably runs at different speeds to conserve energy, right? Is that what you're talking about? Of course you know this! I apologize in advance, I'm not trying to insult your intelligence icon_silent.gif

EDIT: Actually, I reread your post. Does setting your computer in Windows 7 to "high performance" mode help?

No offense taken :). I did set it to "high performance" but nothing happened.