Options

This test beat me

jschreckjschreck Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
About a month and a half ago I failed this test. It really took the wind out of my sails, now I am secont guessing everything I know on this chapter. Any suggestions. I am going back through labsim not sure what I am gonna do after that.

Schreck

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    You have the right idea, focus on what you don't know well. Download and install Welcome to the Mnemosyne Project | The Mnemosyne Project and use it to make some flash cards covering the material you don't know. You'll have it licked in 2 days. Take a practice test before you go back!

Sample Questions

Good luck YOU CAN DO IT!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Any reason you won't get Darril's book? The Labsim was ok, but Get Certified Get Ahead was what guaranteed me the win.

Whether you get the Kindle or Paperback, the practice tests alone are worth the price.
  • Options
    kidainnykidainny Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Agree with Erp. Get the book. It would be worth it for the test questions alone.
  • Options
    I figured college would give me enough. I will go get your book.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jschreck wrote: »
    For the CompTIA classes WGU gives some pretty crappy books. For the Security+ you need to supplement it with either the Sybex study guide or Darrils book. For the CIW classes the books WGU gives you are sufficient as long as you supplement them with extra stuff like the study guides at MCMCSE.com and the tutorials at another website w3cschools.
    Unless WGU has updated the COS then it has you doingpart of the Labsim and parts of the online expert, do the WHOLE labsim (it's a better resource)
    Be sure to use recommended books in addition to what WGU gives you.. I don't know which program you're in but if you're in Security that means buying the Odom books for the CCNA classes along with what WGU gives you. I'm assuming you're in Security since you took the Sec+ and don't have the Net+ yet. You probably should have been advised by your mentor to wait to take Sec+ until after the CCNA because Sec+ requires you to have a better understanding of networks first.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    jschreck wrote: »

I didn't write it, nor do I get any cut for sales. I recommend it highly ONLY because it really was the best resource I have ever used (so far) for a certification I hold.

Listen, I failed Network+ (99) and it sucked, but I would take it again much later (when both the objectives changed AND I had access to better study material...). So I know what it's like to fail an exam (and a CompTIA one too...but my mind was not right around 2001 anyway...had a whole lot going on).

My passed thread (from 08/26/2010 "Ladies and Gentlmen...") goes into a bit of detail with what I did to pass. But you really only need to study Darril's book...if you go from chapter 1 through 10, do the chapter tests AND the final exam, you'll pass. (DON'T SKIP the chapters you think you know....this is one of the few books I've read where I wasn't put off by that....you'll know what I mean based on his writing style). In your case (I did the same), don't bother with the pre-assessment. Just start with chapter one and work your way up to chapter 10. If you can get 80% at minimum on the final exam in the book, you're ready for the real mccoy.

Best of luck though! The only good thing about your experience is that you really validated that the CompTIA WGU book it provides is crap. :)
  • Options
    thanks folks. I have that book in the mail. I look forward to passing this test.

Schreck
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck man. You'll get it next time.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    pixelperson1pixelperson1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not only read it, but take the practice tests at the end of each chapter.

Listen, failing a test stinks...but it happens. Get over it and do the exam again.

I just passes; Score 800... Rote memorization is not the way to go. Think THEROY, what are the reasons behind using the different Access Roles, Why are some better than others, Why are digital signature better for some uses? What are the uses?

Standards & practices, cryptography, access models, get the guides from Comptia & go for it.

Good Luck!
    C. Christensen
    CompTia Network+; A+ Certified, Security+
    www.creativeoverload.com