Options

Passed today!

suitsonfiresuitsonfire Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
So I got a 828 out of 900. Pretty much the same exact grade I was averaging on the practice tests.

I read through Darril Gibson's book twice and took all the practice & chapter questions twice. It was the only study source I used. This book is as close to perfect as an IT book can get. Thanks for everyone who recommended it.

I recently had an interview for a tier 3 technician and they wanted Novell experience which I have never worked with in work or class. I guess that will be my next wall to climb.

Comments

• Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I recently had an interview for a tier 3 technician and they wanted Novell experience which I have never worked with in work or class. I guess that will be my next wall to climb.

(Lord I hope there aren't any Novell fanboys left.....but if there are, then whatever then).

First of all, congrats on the pass!!

The Novell experience, do they want experience with their Linux flavor? Or do they have some antiquated Novell network that requires IPX/SPX knowledge? If it's the latter, don't waste your time learning that on your own. You could actually be trained OTJ for that nonsense.

If it's Linux, then you may want to check out the Linux section and see what you need to get those skills up. (I am not a fan of the penguin, but Linux is much more worthwhile than some antiquated NOS...)
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the new cert.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »

The Novell experience, do they want experience with their Linux flavor? Or do they have some antiquated Novell network that requires IPX/SPX knowledge?

From what I gathered they were interested in knowing if I setup security policies in a Novell environment. I told them I had plenty of experience with GPO setup/maint. in Active Directory and it seemed to suffice but it was hard to tell exactly.

The job was very appealing and they keep growing so I figure I might as well learn what they are desiring but I completely understand your point. Thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    krauserkrauser Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, well done. icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass Krauser

Have a question here can i use the kindle version of Darill Gibson on my PC ( as an ebook ) or will it work only on a kindle coz the kindle version @ 8 GBP is a great bargain .
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    NinjaBoyNinjaBoy Member Posts: 968
    Congrats on the pass :)

-Ken
  • Options
    jmritenourjmritenour Member Posts: 565
    As someone who still has to support Netware, and the effort to migrate to SLES/Open Enterprise Server, let me assure you of this:

Novell isn't just dead, it's a shuffling zombie that is in dire need of a shotgun blast to the face to keep it from feeding on any more IT resources. eDirectory has it's advantages, but the simple fact is, everything is built to work with Active Directory these days, and if you're lucky, you might find some half-assed support for eDirectory via LDAP. Even then, don't expect any actual "support" in the traditional sense, being as almost NO ONE out there knows Novell anymore.

In other words, don't waste your time trying to learn Novell if you don't already know it. It's a dead end path that isn't going to lead anywhere.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    jmritenour wrote: »
    As someone who still has to support Netware, and the effort to migrate to SLES/Open Enterprise Server, let me assure you of this:

Novell isn't just dead, it's a shuffling zombie that is in dire need of a shotgun blast to the face to keep it from feeding on any more IT resources. eDirectory has it's advantages, but the simple fact is, everything is built to work with Active Directory these days, and if you're lucky, you might find some half-assed support for eDirectory via LDAP. Even then, don't expect any actual "support" in the traditional sense, being as almost NO ONE out there knows Novell anymore.

In other words, don't waste your time trying to learn Novell if you don't already know it. It's a dead end path that isn't going to lead anywhere.

I was so afraid of reading past the colon.....but was greatly relieved that I did. LOL. I 1000% agree with this! When folks are talking "Directory Services", they really mean Active Directory. Yeah you got your Oracle OpenSSO and whatnot, but AD is pretty solid and very LDAP friendly. (Trust me, I know. :) ).
  • Options
    Dr IT wrote: »
    Congrats on the Pass Krauser

Have a question here can i use the kindle version of Darill Gibson on my PC ( as an ebook ) or will it work only on a kindle coz the kindle version @ 8 GBP is a great bargain .

You can use Kindle for PC and read the Kindle book like an ebook. :)
  • Options
    *changes mind*

I think I will work on an MCSA/MCSE instead. I appreciate the input.
  • Options
    erpadmin wrote: »
    I was so afraid of reading past the colon.....but was greatly relieved that I did. LOL. I 1000% agree with this! When folks are talking "Directory Services", they really mean Active Directory. Yeah you got your Oracle OpenSSO and whatnot, but AD is pretty solid and very LDAP friendly. (Trust me, I know. :) ).

Novell still has a pretty tight grip on K12 and other educational institutions, but that's starting to slip. I spend way too much of my time having to rig stuff to work with eDirectory, that would "just work" if we were doing pure AD.
    "Start by doing what is necessary, then do what is possible; suddenly, you are doing the impossible." - St. Francis of Assisi
  • Options
    jmritenour wrote: »
    Novell still has a pretty tight grip on K12 and other educational institutions, but that's starting to slip. I spend way too much of my time having to rig stuff to work with eDirectory, that would "just work" if we were doing pure AD.

One thing I can advise is perhaps doing a one-to-one comparison with Novell and Active Directory, as well as showing proof-of-concepts of how much time (and money) could be saved by simply leveraging AD and just chucking Novell once and for all. Your boss probably wants his CNE to feel useful, so you may have to do that softly and smartly. But I would imagine that very little effort could be done migrating the eDirectory you have to AD (there are so many tools that could be used that are either inexpensive or maybe free...). That might be good homework for you. (Pun intended... icon_razz.gif )
  • Options
    My boss will only let go of Novell when it's pried from his cold, dead fingertips. I seriously keep hoping every day to read that they've gone out of business, or someone's bought them up and shuttering them.