Options

Who is pursuing the CCIE in 2011

13»

Comments

• Options
    tinu_karkitinu_karki Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been thinking about doing the CCIE for a while. I've finally got off my backside and started reading the my book TCP/IP vol 1 by Doyle. I'm hoping I will be ready to do the written within 6-10 months. I think it is going to take a while for me as I have 0 knowledge on MPLS and only basic knowledge of BGP.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Written tentatively scheduled for October 15th. Just got a new job that involves a ton of BGP and MPLS. Oh, and there's a full CCIE rack to play on..and it's encouraged!
  • Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Welcome back!

It's been a long time. Congratulations on the new job! Sounds fun! How far were you into studies last time around? Do you need a lot of revision for the written? Start up your blog again.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes welcome back.
  • Options
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Welcome back!

It's been a long time. Congratulations on the new job! Sounds fun! How far were you into studies last time around? Do you need a lot of revision for the written? Start up your blog again.

Thanks. I was originally kind of rolling the written prep in with the lab prep. I was pretty good on reading, and was most of my way through INE Vol I, and dabbled a little bit in Vol II labs..but not much. To ensure I have the best chance of success, I'm going to re-read my CCIE exam cert guide, along with some MPLS and BGP books, then take the written. Once that's done, I'm going to schedule the lab ASAP to get my butt in gear. I feel like the time is right, and it's now or never.

The blog is already back in gear..or getting there.

Thanks turgon..glad to see you're still alive as well!
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Nice to see you again!

I'm still "getting there" with my written attempt.

Looking at "somewhere" towards the end of the year, and then lab for end 2012 early 2013.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    I guess I should add myself here as well...

Looking at a written attempt before the year is out and then the lab hopefully within the next 5 years icon_lol.gif

I'll have to add a counter to my sig as well.

To infinity, and beyond!
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    good luck everyone!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    It might be interesting to start a thread of WHY people are pursuing their CCIE as well. I'd be interested in that. Has anyone done that?
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    mikearamamikearama Member Posts: 749
    It might be interesting to start a thread of WHY people are pursuing their CCIE as well. I'd be interested in that. Has anyone done that?

I'll start. Ummmmm... more money!!! Is there really any other reason worth mentioning?
    There are only 10 kinds of people... those who understand binary, and those that don't.

CCIE Studies: Written passed: Jan 21/12 Lab Prep: Hours reading: 385. Hours labbing: 110

Taking a time-out to add the CCVP. Capitalizing on a current IPT pilot project.
  • Options
    Well, obtaining a CCIE # has been my goal since getting into networking. I have always been intrigued by network concepts, and i have always wanted to have a CCIE level of understanding. Also, I enjoy the involved study process as well. I have really been enjoying learning about all of the topics on a much deeper level. Also, I have already seen the benefits of the CCIE pursuit in my day to day work.
  • Options
    Scheduled my written for Sept 13th...can't wait to knock it out and hit the lab!
  • Options
    kryollakryolla Member Posts: 785
    since my wife passed the bar this year I have to step up my game so the written I plan on taking this Dec and lab will be next year maybe my first attemp will be in May
    Studying for CCIE and drinking Home Brew
  • Options
    burbankmarcburbankmarc Member Posts: 460
    kryolla wrote: »
    since my wife passed the bar this year I have to step up my game so the written I plan on taking this Dec and lab will be next year maybe my first attemp will be in May

That's some serious lab cramming. Good luck!
  • Options

Cool. Stick up a study thread Kryolla if you haven't already done so.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Turns out I wasn't just blowing hot air earlier in this thread (as I thought might end up happening with how my time has been recently). CCIP passed, CCIE R&S Certification Guide ordered, time to join the party.

I'm going to attempt some practice exams for the Written (I believe there are some with the R&S Certification Guide? Someone correct me if I'm wrong), and see what I'm missing currently. I'm hoping that as the CCIP material is fresh, and that I use knowledge from it and the CCNP every single day, it will be straightforward enough to take by the end of the year. If not, definitely early 2012. The lab will come, when is a matter of funds, time and confidence in my labbing ability.

Glad to finally get on with it though!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    and36yand36y Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Time to join the party..

I am planning on starting CCIE written study at the beginning of December and to take the written in feb/march (working on CCDP with exam end of Nov), I initially started this track about 8 years ago, sourced a load of routers, every book I could find, then life hit me like a train crash, out of the blue got divorced. So 6 years on, after working in networks for decades, found myself redundant and not able to even get pass the employment agencies due to no cisco qualifications. last year, ran through ccna, ccnp, this year ccda ccdp (hopefully) then full steam ahead on the CCIE. I've blown the dust of my existing lab and found I can use half of it for INE as long as i upgrade IOS and memory, so as money allows will source the remaining bits over the first quarter of next year. This will allow me to Lab towards the latter part of my written study.
    I have a Linux server with GNS loaded which allows me to run simple labs quite quickly, ( I know it will run alot more complicated labs, but for me time is a premium, and I'd rather direct my energies on the real kit with real issues than emulated kit with a bunch of non related problems).

Andy
    Studying CCIE R&S

Written passed, looking at lab towards end of 2013
  • Options
    rinchenrinchen Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,

I am also joining the team and going to keep track of my CCIE preps on this thread.

Currently:
    1. GNS3 + Real Switch lab
    2. Access to INE videos and lab book
    3. Working on INE workbook vol I
    4. Reading CCIE R&S written guide book

Rinchen.
  • Options
    vkumarg89vkumarg89 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hii

I am preparing for a CCIE Security lab attempt this year . But still havent been able to book it . I live in India and lab booking are closed for almost all locations near India . if anyne has information about it , please share .
  • Options

Its been a while kryolla, how are your CCIE studies going?
  • Options
    We should compile a complete list of everyone who is actively pursuing their CCIE based off of responses in this thread. It'd be nice to see a list of everyone in one post.
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »
    We should compile a complete list of everyone who is actively pursuing their CCIE based off of responses in this thread. It'd be nice to see a list of everyone in one post.

I will have a go, adding the single study thread posts. One has to be careful here because a hiatus doesn't mean someone has out and out given up, life may have simply gotten in the way. Generally we find a lot of takers but taildrop inside 6 months with a few still going. There are others too still going but simply not active on TE anymore!
  • Options
    jamesp1983 wrote: »

Not many of us still at it. Drop out rate is very high. One or two recent written students I admit I have missed off inadvertantly but they are not declared on this thread.

Jason Lunde - passed 2011
    Hono - passed 2012

Turgon - Active
    Noc Ninja - Active
    Jamesp1983 - Active
    Reaper81 - Active
    Forsaken_GA - Active
    Jahsoul - Active
    Mikearama - Active
    And36y - Active
    Vkumare - Active

Missing in Action..

Tinu_karki
    Mrock4
    Tesseract
    Kryolla
    Rinchin
    Vkumare
    cciewannabe
    luckycharms
    bowlerp
    gt-rob
    broc
    avlad
    agent2592
    powerfool
    mikej412
    tomaifalchai
    aldoss
    chris m
    burbankmarc
    raptien
    stuh84
    gorebrush
    killah72
    civ5144
    evanzzid
  • Options
    I hope a lot of those people come back.
  • Options
    TesseracTTesseracT Member Posts: 167
    I'm not missing! Got my written next week hehe... I'm not very active on the forum though, been pretty busy with life and work (moving house in a couple of weeks)... Just bought 4 3560's and a computer for a hybrid setup once I pass the written (fingers crossed). Hope that a few more of the MIA's chirp in and make themselves known. All the best everyone and good luck!
  • Options
    thadizzythadizzy Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You may add me to the list aswell :)
    I'm about halfway through lab preparations for CCIE Wireless v2.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Moving to the 2012 thread lol
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    TesseracT wrote: »
    I'm not missing! Got my written next week hehe... I'm not very active on the forum though, been pretty busy with life and work (moving house in a couple of weeks)... Just bought 4 3560's and a computer for a hybrid setup once I pass the written (fingers crossed). Hope that a few more of the MIA's chirp in and make themselves known. All the best everyone and good luck!

I'm glad to hear from you! I figured you were just studying hard. Good luck with the written!
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    I'm studying for it as well, just don't blog about it. Took on a new job recently so that slows things down a bit as I get up to speed on that. Plus my interest in Juniper keeps getting in the way! Good luck to those preparing and taking a shot in 2012