Options

Interview in DC/Metro area...

reppgoareppgoa Member Posts: 151
Has anyone here heard of Terpsys? I have an interview for a desktop technician and I was reading a few reviews that made the place sound kind of...hmm...not desirable. Dont get me wrong, I will take the job either way, I just want to know if anyone has any first hand experience working with them. Thanks alot

Comments

• Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i have... it was the "usuall" in my book -- that is, seemed like most places looking for folks.

what type of things have you heard?
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    I heard it was very cultish. I also heard that it was cliquey and very much like high school. If you aren't popular, you don't succeed. I hear that if you don't attend outside functions (happy hour, sports teams, charity events) you are reprimanded in performance reviews. I got this information from a review site and it seemed pretty consistent.
  • Options
    interesting...

this link perhaps? TerpSys Reviews | Glassdoor.com

i can check around with a few folks and see if i can find some more info as well... if some of this is legit -- corp culture is bear. not sure how you could ask about it without starting off on the wrong foot.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    interesting...

this link perhaps? TerpSys Reviews | Glassdoor.com

i can check around with a few folks and see if i can find some more info as well... if some of this is legit -- corp culture is bear. not sure how you could ask about it without starting off on the wrong foot.

Ya, thats the link. If you could, I would be grateful. I am also looking at a job at UMD. I applied for a desktop tech position, and am waiting to hear back. I would rather work for the university as I think the benefits are better. Any input?
  • Options
    much agreed on umd!!! is the umd job coming with the chance to go to school free of charge?
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    ya, however they dont seem to have a good IT program. Its integrated into their business program, which I really have no interest in. I can get 50% off at UMUC though so its still pretty good.
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    reppgoa wrote: »
    ya, however they dont seem to have a good IT program. Its integrated into their business program, which I really have no interest in. I can get 50% off at UMUC though so its still pretty good.

I was about to say UMUC is where you get majors like Cybersecurity and IA. UMD-CP (Main) seemed to have either computer science, computer engineering, or EE (I will also throw in that I'm a proud terp and loved my experience there haha).
  • Options
    Dont get me wrong. I would LOVE to have a degree from UMD, but I would rather have a degree in something that I am interested in. I go to school on UMD's campus at CP, and not gonna lie, the view is amazing icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    reppgoa wrote: »
    Dont get me wrong. I would LOVE to have a degree from UMD, but I would rather have a degree in something that I am interested in. I go to school on UMD's campus at CP, and not gonna lie, the view is amazing icon_wink.gif

Awesome. I believe when you get a degree from any branch of the "University Systems of Maryland" (Eastern shore, BC, CP, UMUC, UMD-Shady Grove) you get the same University of Maryland degree. Funny thing is a lot of the classes you can take in person are in the same buildings you're accustomed to (Tydings, i forget the rest lol, etc).
  • Options
    Ya, I have read so many different things I have no idea what kind of degree I will get. I mean, I dont know how I would feel about saying I went to the university of maryland, knowing that most people will think UMD, and not UMUC. Dont get me wrong, I would think long and hard about it, just not sure what I would do at this point =)
  • Options
    I was about to say UMUC is where you get majors like Cybersecurity and IA. UMD-CP (Main) seemed to have either computer science, computer engineering, or EE (I will also throw in that I'm a proud terp and loved my experience there haha).

icon_cheers.gif
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    I had a feeling sid would like to hear of another fellow terp =P
  • Options
    checked in with some folks on terpsys, most had the same result -- kinda the expected dealings, mostly done over the phone (positions not worth the change in $$ to take for these folks). nothing bad yet. i wont dispute/discount the culture aspect from reviews at this point. if its worth it, and you can handle it...
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks alot sid. I plan to take it if I dont find something better. I am still holding out for that UMD job, I dont want to join Terpsys, and then a month later quit to go work for UMD. I will, but I would feel bad =(