Options

Developers -- most important people ???

coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
Not sure if you guys have experienced/noticed that developers tend to act as they are the most important people since they are the ones developing/maintaining your apps/systems. Not that I don't appreciate what they do and I do have great respect for their work but are they really the most important people in IT?

Comments

• Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    I think all developers should have to actually use the software they write. That'd knock the arrogance out of them
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Any profession which creates something has that attitude. However, if you're a software company then I'd say that they rightly feel that they're the reason the company exists.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Any profession which creates something has that attitude. However, if you're a software company then I'd say that they rightly feel that they're the reason the company exists.

Let say the developers in an in-house development team in a financial institution or like.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    All the time, developers and graphic designers tend to feel like this, I don't think there is anything we can do about it it's in their genes :D
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    coffeeking wrote: »
    Let say the developers in an in-house development team in a financial institution or like.

Those who create tend to have a higher sense of value of worth than the general population. That isn't necessarily a bad thing though, that gives them the edge.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The good ones deserve it while the mediocre ones probably just come across as arrogant. The good ones are the guys that do it and then thoroughly test it.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    How would all those developers work if they had no systems or network to run on? Whether they know it or not THEY NEED US! ***have you ever saw a developer try to troubleshoot a pc, server or network....? LOL
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Many devs I know have a serious lack of humility. Many devs I know have plenty of humility. Many IT pros (ie admins) I know have a serious lack of humility.

What I see is a reccuring human pattern that certain people regard their own intellects so highly they become convinced that they actually do have an expert understanding of everything they come into contact with. This certainly is not limited to developers, IT Pros, or even the IT field.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    joey74055 wrote: »
    How would all those developers work if they had no systems or network to run on? Whether they know it or not THEY NEED US! ***have you ever saw a developer try to troubleshoot a pc, server or network....? LOL

I got into networking to shuffle my code between my old UNIX Systems. And I got to build out the labs and prototype server farms that host the global enterprise applications. I trained the service delivery guys and network guys on how to build and operate the infrastructure.

I've cleaned up more networks and servers in productions that were the cause of the "application problems" than applications -- and I'm 4-0 against CPAs where I've found THEIR problems when they were blaming the software.

The most dangerous thing in the world is a programmer with a screwdriver -- and I've had two different Service Managers give me my own screwdriver.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    The most dangerous thing in the world is a programmer with a screwdriver -- and I've had two different Service Managers give me my own screwdriver.

Is this a euphamism? icon_wink.gif LOL.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    mikej412 wrote: »
    I've done software development, hardware development, system admin and now network admin. I've got way more tools than just a screwdriver! :D
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A better question to ask would be who doesn't think they are most important.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    tiersten wrote: »
    I've done software development, hardware development, system admin and now network admin. I've got way more tools than just a screwdriver! :D
    I've got 6 different screwdrivers and 1 nut driver within arms reach -- and 2 different dust covered 20-30 piece "computer technician" tool kits. But only 1 of the tool kits has been opened this year.

Oh -- and I have 2 Swiss Army Knives. icon_lol.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    A better question to ask would be who doesn't think they are most important.

A happy husband.
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A happy husband.

I don't think such a thing exists.
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    A happy husband.
    Isn't that an oxymoron?
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.