Options

*2010 Hardware recommendations/requirements for CCNA but also CCNP*

incainca Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
First off, I apologize to adding to the countless “what equipment do I need” threadsicon_rolleyes.gif. I did look all over the forum and used the search function as well.

But I must ask, what equipment would be suitable for CCNA but also keep in mind I will be doing my CCNP as well shortly thereafter. Moreover, my greatest concern is using updated/current hardware. Unfortunately, all threads I read regarding hardware are dated 2006, 2007, etc...

Thus my underlining question is in referenced to current trends, 2010 exams, what hardware is necessary and best for the 2010 CCNA and CCNP. I’d prefer to get help from all the great members here in order to choose wisely when I do my eBay shopping rather than shelling out extra money/premium for a kit vendor such as ciscokits.

I plan on ordering the equipment before the week ends so I can get started right awayicon_study.gif.I’d like to thank everyone for any help they can provide.

P.S. please advise me on any extra accessories I will need or won’t need depending on the hardware recommended. (Ex: Modules, WIC, Concentrator, etc...)

Budget: $1000 but can spend more if need to do so.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    LoL i'll sell you my lab for 500, it will get you mostly there. I have tons of straight/cross/t1 pinned/DCE-DTE cables modules and many wics plus an 831 with 12.4 not shown below. All routers are maxed.

routing.jpg

switching.jpg
  • Options
    You will need a 3550emi/3560 maybe even 2 depending on how much stuff you want to simulate for core switching, hsrp etc....

2900-2950 switches for access layer.

You could go with 2600XM routers with max mem for all the latest 12.4T commands.

Cisco 1800's if you got money to burn for more features.

Personally Im just adding 2 3550's with EMI images (layer 3 routing) , probably an access server, and maxed out 2600XMs to my setup for my CCNP studies.
  • Options
    jaykoolzboyjaykoolzboy Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Is that you again Ben? We had similar thread weeks ago.

I agree with Wendell Odom build if you can spend more than $1000 on real equipments

2 2950 standard image

1 3550 EMI or IP Base

3 1721 12.4T Adv IP Services, 1 WIC-2T

2 1721 12.4T Adv IP Services, 2 WIC-2T

or u can just use GNC3 and get 1 or 2 layer 3 switch (3550s) to fulfill your requirement
  • Options
    PhildoBaggins "LoL i'll sell you my lab for 500, it will get you mostly there. I have tons of straight/cross/t1 pinned/DCE-DTE cables modules and many wics plus an 831 with 12.4 not shown below. All routers are maxed."

Thanks for responding PhildoBaggins, may i ask why are you selling the equipment are you upgrading?
    Also, please I ask anyone with any specific hardware recommendations and/or comments to please post!
    I was thinking:

3 26560XM
    3 2950
    1 2610
    ?

Tell me what you would add or change please, thank you...
  • Options
    Yes I want to upgrade and just try out more equipment. Half the fun of studying and certifying is buying new labs lol.
  • Options
    inca wrote: »

3 26560XM
    3 2950
    1 2610
    ?

Tell me what you would add or change please, thank you...

Your setup = 450 + 150 + 75 Total $675 with no wic cards or mem upgrades or layer 3 switching

Try this.

2 2651XM or 2 2621XM or 2 2611XM or any combination
    2 2900XL
    1 3550SMI (you will figure out how to get an EMI image loaded)
    1 2620 or 2621

My setup = 300 + 50 + 135 + 50 Total $535 with no wic cards but includes layer 3 switching. This would give you room to buy WIC-1T or WIC-1a/s cards and a NM-4a/s or 8a/s and a extra 2600 router to dedicate as a frame switch.

Also look into some super cheap T1CSU/DSU wics , they are only a few bucks and you can practice PPP CHAP/PAP independently of your frame cloud.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seems like it was about 3 months ago I asked pretty much this same exact question. Having gone through the process recently and still starting on CCNP ROUTE now, I would do this:

Get the cheapest CCNA lab you can get. That's a couple 2950s and 3-4x 1721s. When you're done, sell it all.

I'm doing ROUTE completely in GNS3. I plan on seeing how far a NM-16ESW will get me in SWITCH. I know there are some limitations, I'm just curious how major they are. We have a room with stacks and stacks of spare 2960s, 3560s and 3750s, so I'd have no problem putting together a SWITCH lab at work.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm doing ROUTE completely in GNS3. I plan on seeing how far a NM-16ESW will get me in SWITCH. I know there are some limitations, I'm just curious how major they are.

Destination Unreachable: NM-16ESW (as used in a Dynamips 3640)
  • Options
    Seems like it was about 3 months ago I asked pretty much this same exact question. Having gone through the process recently and still starting on CCNP ROUTE now, I would do this:

Get the cheapest CCNA lab you can get. That's a couple 2950s and 3-4x 1721s. When you're done, sell it all.

I'm doing ROUTE completely in GNS3. I plan on seeing how far a NM-16ESW will get me in SWITCH. I know there are some limitations, I'm just curious how major they are. We have a room with stacks and stacks of spare 2960s, 3560s and 3750s, so I'd have no problem putting together a SWITCH lab at work.

I strongly recommend ya to get at least one or two Layer 3 Switches, its going to make things a lot easier for CCNP
  • Options
    Your setup = 450 + 150 + 75 Total $675 with no wic cards or mem upgrades or layer 3 switching

Try this.

2 2651XM or 2 2621XM or 2 2611XM or any combination
    2 2900XL
    1 3550SMI (you will figure out how to get an EMI image loaded)
    1 2620 or 2621

My setup = 300 + 50 + 135 + 50 Total $535 with no wic cards but includes layer 3 switching. This would give you room to buy WIC-1T or WIC-1a/s cards and a NM-4a/s or 8a/s and a extra 2600 router to dedicate as a frame switch.

Also look into some super cheap T1CSU/DSU wics , they are only a few bucks and you can practice PPP CHAP/PAP independently of your frame cloud.

Thanks again, I think I'll go with your recommendations, especially with the 3550 SMI tip! icon_thumright.gif

I should be set with this setup from what I understand

Thanks again !:D

Also, thank you to Zartanasaurus and jaykoolzboy for the input as well!
  • Options
    inca wrote: »
    Thanks again, I think I'll go with your recommendations, especially with the 3550 SMI tip! icon_thumright.gif

I should be set with this setup from what I understand

Thanks again !:D

Also, thank you to Zartanasaurus and jaykoolzboy for the input as well!

my pleasure, good luck on your studies icon_cheers.gif. It's going to be fun icon_twisted.gif