Options

Which WIC's

odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've gone through the posts on creating a home lab. I've been building it over the past month. I wanted to know what WIC cards people tend to use. My 26xx's came with T1 CSU/DSU cards and My 3640 came with all ethernet ports.

In order to get the equipment connected, I am going to need to get a few cards. I've thought about getting a few smart serial cards.

Looking for suggestions.
Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action

Comments

• Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The WIC-DSU-1T cards are the cheapest (both for the cards and cables). And if you already have a couple, go with them. You'll need T1 crossover cables to connect them, which you can buy on eBay, or you can make them yourself.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    alan2308 wrote: »
    The WIC-DSU-1T cards are the cheapest (both for the cards and cables). And if you already have a couple, go with them. You'll need T1 crossover cables to connect them, which you can buy on eBay, or you can make them yourself.
    Seconded.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    I've got a WIC-2T in each of my routers. You can get cheap knock offs for very little money. I would never use them in a production network, but for a lab they're great.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input, I figured I would stick with the CSDU/DSU. One of my routers even has a ISDN card. Worth getting a second to play with?
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thanks for the input, I figured I would stick with the CSDU/DSU. One of my routers even has a ISDN card. Worth getting a second to play with?

No, you'd also need an ISDN simulator to go between them. It'll get you some geek cred, but theres a lot of better places to spend $150.
  • Options
    Picked up some CSU DSU cards for 5.00 a piece on ebay. Just need one more 2950T switch to complete my lab for now.