Options

What cert should I get next ?

StevenLynamStevenLynam Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
For a bit of background info, I want to try and get into networking again after stupidly enjoying my self too much in college and flunking out a few years ago. I'm planning on going back to college next september to do a degree/cert I'm not sure what yet. I got my A+ cert about a month ago and passed my Net+ today and I was wondering what cert I should get next.

Comments

• Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    If you already have the Network+ and you want to get into networking, the CCNA is almost the default choice. I'd definitely recommend it, it's helped me in many ways.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    If you already have the Network+ and you want to get into networking, the CCNA is almost the default choice. I'd definitely recommend it, it's helped me in many ways.

Well I'm unemployed now and there is almost zero chance of getting a job now so I was planning of going to college while the economy is bad and by the time I finish the economy should be largely picked back up and I should be in a good postion to be ready for it. If I got the CCNA it would run out in three years so I was thinking it would be good to get in one more CompTIA cert before the end of the year and getting the CCNA later on. When I was in college the networking class part of the course was just doing the CCNA.
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    A CCNA would help you get a job while you go to college in the field you want to end up in. Obviously you wont be a network architect or anything like that, but a CCNA on your resume for someone that wants to get into networking would be better than say, Security+ or Project+ or something.

You may end up being able to pick up another CCNA discipline (say, security, voice etc) while you are doing college to recert your original CCNA, or you may end up going the CCNP route.

To me, the CCNA is the best option, even if it does run out, you can just redo it at a later date if need be.

It's your call though, but for networking, the CCNA is about the best place to start.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    stuh84 wrote: »
    A CCNA would help you get a job while you go to college in the field you want to end up in. Obviously you wont be a network architect or anything like that, but a CCNA on your resume for someone that wants to get into networking would be better than say, Security+ or Project+ or something.

You may end up being able to pick up another CCNA discipline (say, security, voice etc) while you are doing college to recert your original CCNA, or you may end up going the CCNP route.

To me, the CCNA is the best option, even if it does run out, you can just redo it at a later date if need be.

It's your call though, but for networking, the CCNA is about the best place to start.

Some good points there I never really looked at it like that, thanks. I think I'll get the Sec+ in before the end of the year just so I have it and it won't run out and then get stuck into the CCNA in the new year.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look into a M$ client OS exam. That could help you land a part time helpdesk job while your in school.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    For me, taking Security+ 2 weeks after Network+ was pretty easy. They share a lot of the same material.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???