Options

Brocade for Ethernet

hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
We're considering looking at Brocade for Ethernet switches. These will be a couple core switches, and maybe 15 access switches in the 48 port range, some with PoE, some gigabit. We prefer a homogeneous network.

Doing all the regular stuff. VLANs, Layer 3 in the core, PoE, STP, QoS, Link Aggregation. No need for 10 gig yet.

Love em? Hateful Rants? Heresy? Any experience?

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Brocade bought Foundry a couple of years ago, so you are likely getting re-badged Foundry equipment. Maybe someone with experience on Foundry could give you some info.

I am mostly familiar with Brocade as an alternative to Cisco in the SAN area (especially after they bought McData), but I have still only used Cisco gear for both SAN and R/S connectivity.
  • Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Our ISP uses Foundry / Brocade equipment and for ethernet switching. When Foundry was Foundry I worked with a company that replaced a bunch of dell gigabit switches with Foundry hardware based on a cost and capability comparison against Cisco.

If these are just access switches, Brocade and Cisco may be more than you need. Pro Curves could fit the bill and are noticeably less expensive than both the above mentioned manufacturers.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What Claymoore said. I've only really had experience with Brocade in the SAN arena but I'd be fine with using them for switches.