Options

Does this sound right?

PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
Hi All,

I basically have a job offer that has come through for a place that I would very much like to work at. Doing the sort of things Id consider very awesome. I have gone through the complete - technical test/phone interview/face to face. But until a contract comes through they want me to go in and do a meet and greet type thing with their current IT team. According to the feedback the recruiter has had, they just want me to go in and make sure I don't have any doubts over the environment or the work involved or the team of guys there already. The offer is there, and ready, but they just want to make sure I am completely ok with everything.

Is this quite normal in your experiences?

Any advice, much appreciated as always.

Cheers,

Pash
DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.

Comments

• Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    It doesn't sound like it's completely for sure yet, but like you're 95% there. You've got a foot and a half in the door! I think what the recruiter is actually saying is they want a chance to really check YOU out and make sure you'll be a good fit with their IT team.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like exactly what I would do when hiring an employee.

You can't ever tell by bringing someone for a couple of 1 hour interviews if they are right for the job.

I wish there was some way to do a week preview of all your job duties. Companies expect you to stay there for 40 years, that's a huge decision.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    katierosekatierose Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're almost there. It just looks like they want to make sure there is a good vibe between you and the team you will be working with. Just be friendly and everything should go fine. :)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Pash wrote: »
    The offer is there, and ready, but they just want to make sure I am completely ok with everything.

Cheers,

Pash

I take this as a red flag that they have been burnt in the past. Do a serious evaluation on your end. Make sure things look normal - or within tollerance.

One job I had the HR person asked me if I could handle "being yelled at." And I thought this was quite odd. She explained it away as the boss was just very demanding - but what it actually meant was the CFO of the company regularly humiliated and barated her employees in front of other workers and even external partners who were visiting.

I'm not trying to make you worry about this, though. What I suspect is that they have some environmental oddities that they honestly want you to see before you sign on. It's a very good sign that they are aware of it and want you to be aware of it. My point is just that in an interview if you find something odd do not dismiss it - but give it very honest consideration because it means something.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Points taken. Thanks guys.

Pash
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    We hired someone at my last company whose in-person interview consisted mostly of a discussion of comic books. He already had the job before he came in just based on his experience and a personal recommendation from someone our entire team respected. We were having some personality conflicts on our team at the time and we wanted to make sure he would fit in before we gave him the offer. He did fit in and was a great addition to the team.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Pash wrote: »
    Hi All,

. The offer is there, and ready, but they just want to make sure I am completely ok with everything.

Cheers,

Pash

it happened with me once, the manager wanted me to go and see the environment and see the team to make sure i'm okay with their offer !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think it's a good thing that they are doing this. It gives you a chance to meet te people you'll be working with and perhaps talk on-one-one with them to see if YOU want to work there.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    Ryan82Ryan82 Member Posts: 428
    This is normal and preferred if you ask me. A lot of times you don't know what you are getting yourself into until you go on site to check things out and meet some of the people working there. Also they want to see you in person and make sure you aren't a Dwight Schrute icon_lol.gif thats going to be a nightmare to get along with.