Options

CCNA Lab Shaping Up

StormStrikesStormStrikes Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
76860_175575452458430_100000179282571_624024_2884348_n.jpg

2ea 2924 Switches
1ea 2950 Switch
1ea 2501 Router
1ea 1721 Router

Still waiting for my other two 1721's to show up. I thought they would be here today but they didnt show up.

I also accomplished setting up a usb to serial adapter in linux. I also successfully used 'shell' to connect to the console port but had problems ending the session so Ive been using Putty instead.

Im also dual booting Windows XP Pro and Peppermint Linux (a bit more efficient version of Linux Mint which of course is based on Ubuntu).

Im just taking baby steps at this point, playing around, but Ive gotten a thorough introduction to password recovery on all the devices as all had console logins or enable secret, enable password set up. Ive managed to get them all clear.

I also got tired of reaching behind each device to plug in the console port, so I set up a RJ-45 block connecting all the console ports there. I dont know if there is a better/easier way to do it, but its what I had on hand so its what I went with.

I do have a question though. One of the 2924's has apparently a bad port (you can see it in orange in the picture). When I check the switch it just shows that port 0/6 has a problem. Is there a way I can confirm if the port is actually bad or is there a way I can disable it?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    odysseyeliteodysseyelite Member Posts: 504 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I like the block idea. Alot of the guys get an access server. But your idea is a good cheap alterative. I know it gets tiring pluging in and out the console cable.
    Currently reading: Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action
  • Options
    rinoelrinoel Member Posts: 39 ■■□□□□□□□□

2ea 2924 Switches
    1ea 2950 Switch
    1ea 2501 Router
    1ea 1721 Router

Still waiting for my other two 1721's to show up. I thought they would be here today but they didnt show up.

I also accomplished setting up a usb to serial adapter in linux. I also successfully used 'shell' to connect to the console port but had problems ending the session so Ive been using Putty instead.

Im also dual booting Windows XP Pro and Peppermint Linux (a bit more efficient version of Linux Mint which of course is based on Ubuntu).

Im just taking baby steps at this point, playing around, but Ive gotten a thorough introduction to password recovery on all the devices as all had console logins or enable secret, enable password set up. Ive managed to get them all clear.

I also got tired of reaching behind each device to plug in the console port, so I set up a RJ-45 block connecting all the console ports there. I dont know if there is a better/easier way to do it, but its what I had on hand so its what I went with.

I do have a question though. One of the 2924's has apparently a bad port (you can see it in orange in the picture). When I check the switch it just shows that port 0/6 has a problem. Is there a way I can confirm if the port is actually bad or is there a way I can disable it?

Thanks in advance.

Does that port light show in orange all the time, or is it blinking all the time ??
  • Options
    Its orange all the time.
  • Options
    Its orange all the time.

Well, do a reload to the switch and start it with no configuration present, if it still shows the solid orange light then it's a bad port for sure. And about disabling it I didn't tried something like that untill now, but hopefully someone else can tell you more about this.
  • Options
    ZeroHunterZeroHunter Member Posts: 148

2ea 2924 Switches
    1ea 2950 Switch
    1ea 2501 Router
    1ea 1721 Router

Thanks in advance.

It looks great, but I am a little concerned about the air space on the sides of the switches, I am not trying to knock your setup, but the Cisco equipment gets its cooling air from the sides of the units, and you fit looks a little too tight.
    Z3r0

Skool: Herzing Univ for CCNA
    c0op3r.com
  • Options
    You know, the air cooling part occurred to me, and I thought about putting some little rubber feet on the bottom of each component to give some separation and hopefully some better air flow. But you are right, it is a tight fit. I dont feel anything getting particularly warm and Ive been letting it run like that all day just so I could see if there were going to be any issues. I have a thermo probe for my multimeter, well for that matter I have and IR temp probe too so I can do some temp checks and see if anything is getting out of whack.

I know from the relay racks Ive seen there is generally more space and considerably more air flow but Im kinda hosed for space I may have to try something different if this shows signs of trouble.

Also, I dont take it as knocking the set up. I do what seems okay to me and greatly enjoy the input of others to make adjustments. If Ive done something wrong Im completely okay with someone saying so.
  • Options
    rinoel wrote: »
    Well, do a reload to the switch and start it with no configuration present, if it still shows the solid orange light then it's a bad port for sure. And about disabling it I didn't tried something like that untill now, but hopefully someone else can tell you more about this.

With no configuration present, do you mean something along the lines of doing a write erase command?
  • Options
    With no configuration present, do you mean something along the lines of doing a write erase command?

yeah something as simple as:

erase startup-config
    erase running-config
    write

lol :P
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Thats looking much cleaner than mine. I should also do a distro for my console cables....lol sharing 1 cable for 12 pieces of hardware gets old real quick.

Here is my setup right now.
  • Options
    Well you showed me something I probably should have done, turned around the routers. To make it easier for the port connections. I guess I could run another block for that, but Im not crazy about the idea of doing another one.

That top device on the stack, what device is that?

Its a nice set up though. If I had more room I think Id just make my own rack and be done with it. The bigger problem I have is that I am in an older house with limited electrical outlets. We've been remodeling, with particular emphasis in substantially increasing the number of electrical outlets and their capacity and also adding network/cable/phone jacks.

Each room only had two outlets in it. The last room we finished remodeling now has 7 of them. I just havent gotten to my computer room yet.
  • Options
    Well you showed me something I probably should have done, turned around the routers. To make it easier for the port connections. I guess I could run another block for that, but Im not crazy about the idea of doing another one.

That top device on the stack, what device is that?

Its a nice set up though. If I had more room I think Id just make my own rack and be done with it. The bigger problem I have is that I am in an older house with limited electrical outlets. We've been remodeling, with particular emphasis in substantially increasing the number of electrical outlets and their capacity and also adding network/cable/phone jacks.

Each room only had two outlets in it. The last room we finished remodeling now has 7 of them. I just havent gotten to my computer room yet.

Top to Bottom lol

Top very right (little blue light): belkin N+

Top mid: Cisco 831 running NAT to my network from the belkin. Maxed mem.

2900XL

2900XL

2900XL

2611 Max Mem with CSU/DSU wic

2611 Max Mem with CSU/DSU wic

3810 Max Mem with dual E1/T1 and Dual Serial

2514 Dual AUI enet and dual serial

2620 with NM-4A/2 (frame switch and ROaS)

2620 with a WIC-1A/S

2620 with a WIC-1A/S

Someday I will make it a clean setup. I plan on adding 2 3550's, 2 2651XM's and maybe expanding the frame to a 3640 with dual NM-8A/S's just to get buck wild.
  • Options
    Oooops, I thinks me fubar'd.
  • Options
    Yep, I fubar'd. I erased/deleted the flash and along with it the .bin file. I have spent the last several hours trying to figure out how to transfer the .bin file from the other 2924 to the one that is currently bricked with no luck. Have tried setting up a tftp server in linux with no luck. I can ping the laptop from the switch with the good .bin file and vice versa, but for some reason I cannot get the file to go over.

So what are my options here? Any help appreciated.

I dont know exactly what I was thinking when I typed out the command, clearly I was not paying attention or thinking well but nonetheless whats done is done and I hope to recover.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can download switch IOS images from Cisco with just a guest level CCO account -- and worry about your tftp skills later (is the switch on the same network as your tftp server? Did you disable/configure the firewall to allow tftp traffic -- and/or configure the tftp server security to accept uploads and/or downloads).

You'll be using XMODEM to upload the Switch IOS image via the console port.

Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches - Cisco Systems
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mikej412 wrote: »
    You can download switch IOS images from Cisco with just a guest level CCO account -- and worry about your tftp skills later (is the switch on the same network as your tftp server? Did you disable/configure the firewall to allow tftp traffic -- and/or configure the tftp server security to accept uploads and/or downloads).

You'll be using XMODEM to upload the Switch IOS image via the console port.

Recovery From Corrupt or Missing Software Image on Cisco Catalyst 2900XL and 3500XL Series Switches - Cisco Systems

I have done this as well early in my ICND1 studies. It will take 20 minutes to upload the image using Xmodem and it can be frustrating your first time but its a real good learning experience.
  • Options
    Okay, so I got something of an issue getting the bin file loaded to the switch. (Note to self: NEVER erase the flash again).

This is the entirety of the commands I have:

switch: ?
    ? -- Present list of available commands
    boot -- Load and boot an executable image
    cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
    copy -- Copy a file
    delete -- Delete file(s)
    dir -- List files in directories
    flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
    format -- Format a filesystem
    fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
    help -- Present list of available commands
    load_helper -- Load and initialize a helper image
    memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
    mkdir -- Create dir(s)
    more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
    rename -- Rename a file
    reset -- Reset the system
    rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
    set -- Set or display environment variables
    set_bs -- Set attributes on a boot sector filesystem
    set_param -- Set system parameters in flash
    trap -- Cause a software breakpoint to occur
    type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
    unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
    version -- Display boot loader version

This is the entirety of my flash:

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 0 <date> env_vars

Directory of everything:

switch: dir

List of filesystems currently registered:

flash[0]: (read-write)
    xmodem[1]: (read-only)
    null[2]: (read-write)
    bs[3]: (read-only)

Ive been looking over the recovery procedures and I guess Im just an obviously complete noob as I am not seeing how to get the bin file from my hard drive to the switch. Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Options
    It looks like you did the flash_init and load_helper commands since it looks like you did the dir flash:

Since your flash is empty it looks like your next step is section B #3 -- the XMODEM copy. You issue the copy xmodem command on the switch -- and jump as fast as you can to your terminal emulation software to start the transfer on the PC side. If that's where you're stuck -- what problem are you having? What terminal emulation software are you using -- and does it support XMODEM file transfers (or do you need an additional 3rd party download/upload manager -- or different terminal emulation software)?
  • Options
    It looks like you did the flash_init and load_helper commands since it looks like you did the dir flash:

Since your flash is empty it looks like your next step is section B #3 -- the XMODEM copy. You issue the copy xmodem command on the switch -- and jump as fast as you can to your terminal emulation software to start the transfer on the PC side. If that's where you're stuck -- what problem are you having? What terminal emulation software are you using -- and does it support XMODEM file transfers (or do you need an additional 3rd party download/upload manager -- or different terminal emulation software)?

I am using putty since Im on my linux PC. Im probably going to need to use something else though it seems.

To be honest, Im not sure if it supports xmodem or not, I will check on that though. Its frustratingly fun, LOL. Im pulling hair out on this but I am learning so Im happy with that part of it. But Im willing to dig in and get dirty.
  • Options
    It looks like Im going to have to boot into XP Pro and use Hyperterminal, it does not appear that Putty supports xmodem.
  • Options
    It looks like Im going to have to boot into XP Pro and use Hyperterminal, it does not appear that Putty supports xmodem.

Use TerraTerm its free and supports it all.
  • Options
    I am using putty since Im on my linux PC. Im probably going to need to use something else though it seems.
    Putty doesn't have built in support for XMODEM -- do you have minicom?
  • Options
    No, but I will get it and teracom installed if teracom has a linux (debian) version.
  • Options
    Putty doesn't have built in support for XMODEM -- do you have minicom?
    doh I didnt read the linux part.
  • Options
    doh I didnt read the linux part.

Its alright. I felt it kinda important to me to be able to work with the networking gear from both xp and linux, just for my own expansion of knowledge. I have both xp and linux installed on the PC but have used linux more just because I like it more. I can stand vista or win7 so I guess for the foreseeable future I will be an xp'er.

On a positive note, I have managed to set up minicom and am able to talk to the switch with that now. Now I just got to get the bin file over.
  • Options
    Okay, since the switch only has one console port, how do I get the file over. When I send from minicom it states to give the local xmodem the receive command. However, I can switch back to the switch prompt because minicom locks the screen. I can run two terminal sessions because minicom is already using the usb-serial port adapter.

I must be missing something, but I havent figured out what at this point.
  • Options
    In my past experience Xmodem usage may appear to lock up a 2900 switch but if you send it using the xmodem command in the terminal emulator it usually starts working after a few seconds. You will also want to crank the serial speed up from stock on both the switch and the emulator.
  • Options
    If I start the xmodem command on the switch side using

copy xmodem: flash:

I get: Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...

All seems good. So I go to the minicom send file and select xmodem and the file and send and then I get this:

|Xmodem sectors/kbytes sent: 0/ 0kRetry 0: Cancelled
    |
    |Transfer incomplete
    |
    | READY: press any key to continue...

it seems to be necessary to start the send from minicom first and then initiate the receive on the switch, but as mentioned, when I start the send in minicom I cant swtich back to the switch to start the receive.
  • Options
    What is the baud rate on both sides? Have you erased and init'd the flash?
  • Options
    I have the terminal configured for 9600. I have not seen how to change the console side port speed as my commands are limited with no config. I have erased the flash and initiated the flash and loaded the helper.
  • Options
    I just booted into xp to see if hyperterminal would make things any easier. While its easier to send a file it seems, its still not going over. Its saying the the transfer is canceled, permission denied.

Why isnt there a usb port on this thing for dummies like me, LOL