Options

CCNA Lab Shaping Up

2»

Comments

• Options
    StormStrikesStormStrikes Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Holy friggin cow, I finally am getting it to send over, slow, but its going.
  • Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
    Excellent. Dude the first time the entire process took me like 2-3 hours.... lol but now you know.
  • Options
    Well I believe the issue was my own doing. Apparently when I issue the copy xmodem: flash: command, I have to tell it the filename. Which was not terribly intuitive to me since I was sending the file and it was not already present on the switch. But once I issued copy xmodem: flash:filename.bin it worked. Which is probably why it was not working with minicom.

Now, having done something as dumb as erase the flash, my priority is to download from the routers and switches, their respective bin files so I have them as backups.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This is one of the advantages of using real hardware while learning. Once you've gone through this in your lab, you're probably going to be careful (for the rest of your career) so that you never have to do this again.

People who use simulators and just run the canned labs will probably get to do this for the first time on production hardware (and if they are lucky still have a career -- depending on the size and impact of the network outage).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Yeah, no kidding. To say nothing of it being something, while a tad difficult, was recoverable, what if it had not been and been in a production environment.

Several years ago, the phone company I was with sent me down to texas to install some telemetry and remote access gear. I had to hook up to a Tellabs 532 dacs machine and they gave me a bad pinout. So when I hooked up the telemetry gear it somehow managed to fry one of the controllers for the dacs. I had an out that time but it taught me to do my own research on the pinouts instead of just blindly taking what I was handed.

It was probably a month later I was sent to Nebraska to turn up access and telemetry for an OC192. You talk about someone getting ultra conservative, I was all over those pinouts and super confident I had everything correct but I was still crazy nervous, LOL.
  • Options
    Okay, so Im looking around at how to get the bin files from the switches and router to my hard drive as a back up and Im not really coming up with anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Okay, so Im looking around at how to get the bin files from the switches and router to my hard drive as a back up and Im not really coming up with anything. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Install a tftp server on your pc and then "copy flash tftp" I have always used Pumpkin, but there are others

KIN::pumpkin::description