M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    It is but the Geek cred is awesome!

True icon_cool.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    BodanelBodanel Member Posts: 214 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've just bought the digital version a few hours ago from here www.informit.com (it's out if you want it). Now waiting for the download link (it seems that the store has some problems with that)
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Sorry for the long delay. Apparently this took much longer than expected.

The digital release is finally available from InformIT, with other sites soon to follow:

InformIT: Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat® Exams: RHCSA™ and RHCE® Cert Guide and Lab Manual

The hard copy of the book is expected to be available via Amazon, InformIT, and others between April 20 and April 30.

Amazon.com: Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat(R) Exams: RHCSA™ and RHCE(R) Cert Guide and Lab Manual (9780321767950): Damian Tommasino: Books

Thanks to those that have provided feedback. Hoping that the book helps those trying to study :)
  • Options
    @Nightshade

Can you please ask the people from informit to check there website. I've got no response from them friday and i still cannot download the book (i've tried again before posting this) - i think there is a problem with the watermarking application. I cannot find a phone number to contact them (their site sucks but the books not).
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Bodanel wrote: »
    @Nightshade

Can you please ask the people from informit to check there website. I've got no response from them friday and i still cannot download the book (i've tried again before posting this) - i think there is a problem with the watermarking application. I cannot find a phone number to contact them (their site sucks but the books not).

Hrm, glad I haven't picked it up yet.

Please do let us know when this gets resolved. It would infuriate me to have money go out but no product in this age of digital delivery.

NightShade, any chance of a kindle edition?
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Same problem here. I emailed them so hopefully it will get fixed.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    To All - sorry about any problems you guys are having I will email them right now to find out what is going on.

@Forsaken - There is def a kindle edition coming out. I know that the kindle edition is usually about 10 days behind the hard copy (so I'm thinking the first or second week of May the latest).

UPDATE: Publisher wrote back and they are looking into this. Should have an answer by tomorrow.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790

The hard copy of the book is expected to be available via Amazon, InformIT, and others between April 20 and April 30.

Amazon.com: Hands-on Guide to the Red Hat(R) Exams: RHCSA™ and RHCE(R) Cert Guide and Lab Manual (9780321767950): Damian Tommasino: Books

Thanks to those that have provided feedback. Hoping that the book helps those trying to study :)
    Oh, a nice change from publishers breaking their release dates, since it was originaly announced on amazon that the book will be released come May 20th. icon_surprised.gif
    Although as it is now, Amazon doesn't have a set date, just a promise that it will be delivered when it arrives. Barnes&Noble have a set date though, May 4th.
    Two great additions to anyone's Linux library, NightShade's book and the Sybex' LPIC-2 guide coming out at the same time, nice :D Can't wait to have them both...
  • Options
    varelg wrote: »
    Oh, a nice change from publishers breaking their release dates, since it was originaly announced on amazon that the book will be released come May 20th. icon_surprised.gif
    Although as it is now, Amazon doesn't have a set date, just a promise that it will be delivered when it arrives. Barnes&Noble have a set date though, May 4th.
    Two great additions to anyone's Linux library, NightShade's book and the Sybex' LPIC-2 guide coming out at the same time, nice :D Can't wait to have them both...

Thanks for the kind words icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    @Forsaken - There is def a kindle edition coming out. I know that the kindle edition is usually about 10 days behind the hard copy (so I'm thinking the first or second week of May the latest).

Excellent, I'll be waiting for that then, as I have a few Kindle capable devices, and I find Whispersync has become my preferred way of managing my ebooks whenever possible
  • Options
    penoipenoi Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To All - sorry about any problems you guys are having I will email them right now to find out what is going on.

UPDATE: Publisher wrote back and they are looking into this. Should have an answer by tomorrow.

Hi any news from informit? also have issues with the ebook download.
  • Options
    PRoblem solved 2 minutes ago. Happy download.
  • Options
    penoipenoi Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    PRoblem solved 2 minutes ago. Happy download.

yep able to download now.
  • Options
    All downloads should now be fixed. If anyone else has issues downloading please let me know.

If you do experience problems please provide specifics (platform you are using, what error msg is appearing, etc).
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is sad to see you as the author have to troubleshoot the problems your customers are experiencing. I hope it gets better for you.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    Chris:/* wrote: »
    It is sad to see you as the author have to troubleshoot the problems your customers are experiencing. I hope it gets better for you.

That may be true...but I rather go the extra mile to help people then let them sit in the dark wondering when things will be fixed.
  • Options
    Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh I agree and two thumbs up for doing it but I am disappointed in the company.
    Degrees:
  • Options
    I read through the sample chapter, and it looks like good material (I still use syslog-ng for my centralized logging, but I'm guessing rsyslogd is what the RHCE trains on).

If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about getting a book deal? Did you just submit a manuscript, and go from there, or did you know someone?

I've had it in the back of my head to write a practical hands on guide to network and system administration for awhile now, since I do ungodly amounts of documentation on my personal wiki, figure I could turn it into a manuscript easily enough!
  • Options
    If you don't mind my asking, how did you go about getting a book deal? Did you just submit a manuscript, and go from there, or did you know someone?

I don't mind at all (many people have asked actually). I was making notes for the Red Hat exams and blog posting in great detail about many of these topics as well. Eventually I just decided I would put everything together and do a self-published book. Right before I uploaded my manuscript for self publishing I figured it wouldn't hurt to email around to the big name publishers to see if they had any interest. I got rejections from four of them because they weren't interested in such a niche market (I can't image why). The fifth publisher actually loved the way I pitch the idea to take on Michael Jang as he is really the only other person that writes for the Red Hat exams.

One thing lead to another and I eventually turn the manuscript over to them instead of going the self publishing route. And the rest if history....

I will put out a few things for you to think of:

1) If you are writing on a topic that has many other books already on the market, you will really need a strong argument for getting a publisher to pick you up.

2) Everyone told me how slow the publishing industry is and I didn't believe them. Most of the time you are waiting on the author to write the manuscript, however I handed the publisher a complete manuscript and it still took almost 10 months to turn around a book.

3) I'm currently writing two additional books for my training company and I will be going the self publishing route this time. While I learned a lot about reviewing, editing, creating, etc....now that I know these things (which you could prob research with a little effort) I probably wouldn't go with a publisher again. Self publishing is easier, there is no up front cost, you are on your own time line, and the money is much better.

There are a many article arguing about self publishing vs publishers these days and I have to say that while publishers give you great exposure (as my publisher is going to do for me), you get more out of self publishing.

Also a standard publishing contract earns you 10% royalties on net price ($60 book @ Barns and Noble = $30 to B&N / $30 to publisher / 10% of $30 to you...which is $3). Self publish for the same $60 = $23.50 to Amazon / $36.50 to you. Big difference huh?

The biggest plus side to using a publisher I found was that they deal with all the legal stuff. As you might as well have guess Red Hat has everything Trademarked and they require all kinds of weird contracts in order to use their Trademarks. I didn't have to worry about any of that. If you aren't working with anything that is a Trademark or copy written I would totally go the self publishing route.

Sorry about the long post just wanted to put everything out on the table for you.
  • Options
    @nightshade

Sorry about troubleshooting but informit not even now notified me that the problem was solved. You're right about them, they are slow. The book looks promising from what i read so far.
  • Options
    KfergKferg Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nightshade,

Just wanted to let you know im getting ready for the Linux+ and i got a job in times square. Its helpdesk for E-commerce company but all they deal with is CentOS. So i will be getting my foot in and in a year -2 i will be ready for their Sys admin dept as per the manager.
    Sometimes we sit and try to pretend we are happy with what we are doing. Open your eyes and do what you feel will make you happy!
  • Options
    Kferg wrote: »
    Nightshade,

Just wanted to let you know im getting ready for the Linux+ and i got a job in times square. Its helpdesk for E-commerce company but all they deal with is CentOS. So i will be getting my foot in and in a year -2 i will be ready for their Sys admin dept as per the manager.

Cool good luck with your new position!!
  • Options
    I've already gone through a few chapters and the book is very well structured and very usefull.Altough the book has some typos (I hope ebook will be updated after the errata) I really appreciate that there isnt lots of bullshit.

One sugestion though: because upstart if you remove inittab file you dont get an error message at boot but the system boots lvl 3 by default. I got this on 2 RHEL 6 machines that I've setup.

Can you please post an announcement here or on your blog when the scripts will be available?
  • Options
    I've already gone through a few chapters and the book is very well structured and very usefull.Altough the book has some typos (I hope ebook will be updated after the errata) I really appreciate that there isnt lots of bullshit.

One sugestion though: because upstart if you remove inittab file you dont get an error message at boot but the system boots lvl 3 by default. I got this on 2 RHEL 6 machines that I've setup.

Can you please post an announcement here or on your blog when the scripts will be available?

Thanks for the feedback. They typos are actively being updated and many of the were corrected before the book went to print. The online book will be updated too to reflect this.

The /etc/inittab is just a reference and isn't required in RHEL6 because of the use of upstart. It's only there for backward compatibility.
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    just added your book to my safari online account, looking forward to browsing through it.
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    In case anyone else was waiting for the Kindle edition like me, it's now available, and I just loaded it onto my ipad with absolutely no issues.
  • Options
    In case anyone else was waiting for the Kindle edition like me, it's now available, and I just loaded it onto my ipad with absolutely no issues.

I love hearing no issues!! icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hey NS!

How well does your book line up with LPIC exams? Is it mostly RH and RHCE specific or is it written in a way that would make it ideal for other exams as well. Either way I am going to pick it up shortly.
  • Options
    Hey NS!

How well does your book line up with LPIC exams? Is it mostly RH and RHCE specific or is it written in a way that would make it ideal for other exams as well. Either way I am going to pick it up shortly.

It's written specifically for the RHCSA/RHCE exams...however you should be able to map what you learn to about 85% of the LPIC-1 series exams. The remaining 15% is stuff I assume you know because it's all entry level linux commands, etc.