Options

Assigning credentials to a business?

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
Saw this on CraigsList tonight.

Wanted - your MCP credentials assigned to our firm (Minneapolis)
Date: 2010-11-10, 1:31PM CST

WANTED:

MCP Credentials assigned to our firm.
(Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) refers to all individuals who have completed a Professional certification by Microsoft.)

If you have credentials and do not apply them toward a organization, we want them.

If you are interested in discussing this, let me know!
We would offer compensation - please send a figure you believe is fair.

So whats the benefit to the company or to the person with the credentials? First I've ever seen anyone ask this.

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    They need the credentials to qualify for the new gold competencies in the MS partner network. The new requirements can get a little convoluted, but they need multiple people with current certifications to maintain their status. You can either be a full-time employee or a contractor with the firm to let them use our credentials, and I assume the firm would list you as a contractor.

Just advertising for the credentials on Craigslist seems a little sleazy to me, but I don't know if it's against the rules. The intent of the change is to make sure partners hire and retain multiple qualified individuals so that clients can be confident that partners can deliver on the solutions.

My MCP ID is registered with my company and I can only be registered with one company at a time. I get some benefits for having my ID registered with a partner, such as access to some free training, but most of it has little value to me.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    They probably mean that they're a Microsoft partner and want MCP credentials to apply towards their partnership-status. You can't bump up past the basic Registered Partner level without a couple of certified employees listed as well as some extra stuff to earn you the points you need.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Matt27[lt]Matt27[lt] Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the last company I worked for bought two MCP like this, just to get certified partner status. 3000 Euros for one person and they gave their credentials for life :)
  • Options
    tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Matt27[lt] wrote: »
    the last company I worked for bought two MCP like this, just to get certified partner status. 3000 Euros for one person and they gave their credentials for life :)

I think it would take more than ~4100 USD to get me to sign over my MCP for life. I don't really have an ethical problem against being an MCP on retainer to help a company qualify but I could see a time where a job would want to register my credentials and creating a mess.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com