Options

Panicked! Please help with MCDST Decision.

weemoofrazzweemoofrazz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all

I am new to the forums and although I am fairly good with computers and have previously done 1 year at Uni doing a computing science degree it was over 13 years ago!

I’ve recently decided on a career change since I am already fixing/upgrading family, friends, and colleague’s pc's and laptops I thought I’d change to IT and get some certification.

I chose the CompTIA A+ which I am working towards my exam on just now. I also chose the MCDST.

I am now having serious doubts about the MCDST as when I looked to get booked for an exam date before the exam retires I can't get a date beyond Jan 6th 2011 at any prometric centres within a commutable distance!

I have only just opened the books for the 70-271 and I haven’t even looked at 70-272 yet, so effectively knowing my own capabilities and the time frame I have to do this in I don't think I can hope to successfully pass both exams before they are retired, and besides if I failed one I wouldn't be able to get a re-sit date.

So having jumped the gun sufficiently I have a load of books and exam crams etc for a test that isn't practical for me to take now! Having said that all of the resource material will be useful given that XP is still very much around.

I need some advice, what will be the Microsoft replacement to the 70-271 and 70-272 and which cert would I be best to go for after I've got my CompTIA A+ considering that it is desktop support/upgrades that I am most interested in?

Thanks in advance,
Frances.

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Hi all

I am new to the forums and although I am fairly good with computers and have previously done 1 year at Uni doing a computing science degree it was over 13 years ago!

I’ve recently decided on a career change since I am already fixing/upgrading family, friends, and colleague’s pc's and laptops I thought I’d change to IT and get some certification.

I chose the CompTIA A+ which I am working towards my exam on just now. I also chose the MCDST.

I am now having serious doubts about the MCDST as when I looked to get booked for an exam date before the exam retires I can't get a date beyond Jan 6th 2011 at any prometric centres within a commutable distance!

I have only just opened the books for the 70-271 and I haven’t even looked at 70-272 yet, so effectively knowing my own capabilities and the time frame I have to do this in I don't think I can hope to successfully pass both exams before they are retired, and besides if I failed one I wouldn't be able to get a re-sit date.

So having jumped the gun sufficiently I have a load of books and exam crams etc for a test that isn't practical for me to take now! Having said that all of the resource material will be useful given that XP is still very much around.

I need some advice, what will be the Microsoft replacement to the 70-271 and 70-272 and which cert would I be best to go for after I've got my CompTIA A+ considering that it is desktop support/upgrades that I am most interested in?

Thanks in advance,
    Frances.

Hate to punch you in the gut, but you should have thought of this when you chose a certification path that is based on an OS that is now in 'extended support'.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

Hate to punch you in the gut, but you should have thought of this when you chose a certification path that is based on an OS that is now in 'extended support'.

weemoofrazz, All is not lost here. You could use this material as suplemental prep for the 70-270 exam and get your MCP. However, I think you should just start with Windows 7 and use this material as good, general OS knowledge. XP is going to be arround for a while.
  • Options
    weemoofrazzweemoofrazz Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Robert. I will just use the XP material that I have as a reference for an OS that will be around for some time to come.

IT Consultant, to some extent you are of course right, I should have thought about it in that way, but seeing as how my local college was offering the MCDST in its prospectus starting September of this year I didn't realise that it was going to be retired, however I did think it odd that it was still on XP. I didn't find out that the exams were going to be retired till I joined here and after I had the XP materials delivered, you live you learn!