Options

WAP monitoring

Hi guys we are currently using linksys as a business solution, and I've configured roaming assigning each AP on a different channe and identical SSID it seems to work since I can walk from one end to end and my signal is 5 barsl, what I need to find out is when I roam I want to see which AP I am connected to instead of being in the dark, is there any tools that will give me this information something simple free if possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Do you have a smart phone? Tons of nice apps for this - I use WiFiFoFum for the iPhone - It'll give you MAC, channel info, and so on as your roam from AP to AP. While not free (it's $3), I'm sure that you can find something comparable that works with your phone.

For the PC, NetStumbler works (and is free). It's been a while since I've used it but back in the day it was a tad flakey if you didn't use one of the few supported NICs.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    BroadcastStormBroadcastStorm Member Posts: 496
    Nice I just installed it on my Droid X hehe, going to see how this thing worls... network stumblr is having issue with my win 7 64 bit...
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I had a hit-or-miss relationship with net stumbler on windows platforms for whatever reason.

However the android applications for wifi finding are actually very accurate. Go for those.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.