Options

Resume Critique...Help

Well I deleted my last thread and I finished a base resume this morning.

I'm looking for a job with hands on cisco configuration/troubleshooting/maint etc... what ever I can get.

Please rip it apart, provide direction/feedback. After I pass ICND2 (i'm pretty confident I will make over a 900 on this test lol) I am going to job hunt like a mad man.

I would really love to get into a network tech or baby engineer role but I know that may not be possible.

Thank you so much in advance for any help with the resume.

Comments

• Options
    PhildoBagginsPhildoBaggins Member Posts: 276
  • Options
    ...bump part 2....I just realised I didnt put anything about troubleshooting in there lol.

119 views but does anyone have any advice/feedback/suggestions? Is it too all over the place? Is it not technical enough, would it be worth it to add my programming (web, php, etc..) stuff in there for a network tech/NOC/engineering job?

If you read this resume what type of job would you think I was going to apply for?
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I'm using the same layout, excellent choice there icon_cool.gif First off, let me say I think you did a good job and have no negative comments about your CV, but I do have some observations.

• I see you've chosen to not use the right side table to give one word summaries of skills you have. Did you try removing the table to see if you like the layout better? Using it for it's intended purpose COULD possibly affect your search result ranking on job sites...I don't know. The layout could look weird if you removed the table. I chose to use it as it was in the original template and load it up with my "skills".
    • Your most recent entry under experience is split across 2 pages. Have you considered using a manual page break? You've probably taken the best route, as it would most likely leave a strange looking space at the bottom of page 1.
    • Most people seem to use a sentence format for their summary, but you are using bullets. This is probably a very good choice!
    • Are you sure you want to post your GPA? What advantages/disadvantages do you gain by revealing your college GPA to a potential employer?
    "Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." -Pablo Picasso

I think everyone on TE will agree that your resume is well written and that you are highly employable. Good luck!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »
    I'm using the same layout, excellent choice there icon_cool.gif First off, let me say I think you did a good job and have no negative comments about your CV, but I do have some observations.

• I see you've chosen to not use the right side table to give one word summaries of skills you have. Did you try removing the table to see if you like the layout better? Using it for it's intended purpose COULD possibly affect your search result ranking on job sites...I don't know. The layout could look weird if you removed the table. I chose to use it as it was in the original template and load it up with my "skills".
    • Your most recent entry under experience is split across 2 pages. Have you considered using a manual page break? You've probably taken the best route, as it would most likely leave a strange looking space at the bottom of page 1.
    • Most people seem to use a sentence format for their summary, but you are using bullets. This is probably a very good choice!
    • Are you sure you want to post your GPA? What advantages/disadvantages do you gain by revealing your college GPA to a potential employer?
    "Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." -Pablo Picasso

I think everyone on TE will agree that your resume is well written and that you are highly employable. Good luck!

Thanks a lot for the kind words and the feedback. The shaded table on the right side will be filled in, i'm going to put my experience/skills that are not currently listed such as php programming, dream weaver web design, blah blah blah.

i'll ditch the GPA and make some other suggested tweeks and repost tonight.