CEH is done

wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
Well I just finished the CEH exam a few hours ago. The materials I used are here: http://www.techexams.net/forums/ec-council-ceh-chfi/59329-anyone-else-studying-c-eh.html#post464089

I was kind of annoyed about the test. Some of the questions where the same minus a slight rewording and for example if the answer was "5" then the next time the answer was "five." I also had one question that had the wrong image associated with it. There were other smaller things but when I was done I was much more relieved about being done with the exam, then happy that I passed.

Overall I have to say the material it goes over is good, but the exam is somewhat lacking for what I had hoped to see.

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats. If you don't mind I have a few questions.

First of all do you feel like you needed all of that material? Do you feel you had to draw off of experience or studying for this exam? Or both? Which one did you draw more from if you needed to draw from both? Do you think your windows certs helped you get this one done?

Also I guess I would like to know what made you want to do it and what you do on a daily bases?
  • rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats man!!!!
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□

First of all do you feel like you needed all of that material?

Maybe not all but definatly have more then one of the CEH books, and If I had it to do over again I would have went through all of the Penetration Tester's Open Source Toolkit vol. 2 as it was the most relevant, the Hacking Exposed book wasn't bad either. In addition I would definitely be very comfortable with Linux. You may not need to have a Linux+/LPIC-1 knowledge of the stuff, but I would know all of the common commands and then some.
    Do you feel you had to draw off of experience or studying for this exam? Or both?

To me this is definitely a exam you had to study for. Not that I didn't draw off of experience in some areas, it just seemed like it was to broad to know all of the stuff it wanted you to.
    Which one did you draw more from if you needed to draw from both?

As I don't actually do penetration testing, so I would say the studying.
    Do you think your windows certs helped you get this one done?

Not really, although if I had to pick one that I took I would say 70-291 as it went over DNS.
    Also I guess I would like to know what made you want to do it and what you do on a daily bases?

The fact that it was on the 8570.01-m was what finally won me over even though it isn't required for my job. I do computer/network stuff in the Army.
    Thanks for taking the time out dude. +Rep.

One more question (well 2) , do you think it will make has a better admin or security engineer by taking it? R2S and I were having a discussion about this cert and the problem is that neither one of us have extensive windows admin experience. Do you think this cert is best coupled with admin experience or do you think a non admin would benefit just as much as an admin?
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on getting this cert and thanks for all the feedback.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    Thanks for taking the time out dude. +Rep.

One more question (well 2) , do you think it will make has a better admin or security engineer by taking it?

Yes, I know it does for me at least. When I am able to understand how common exploits are accomplished at the basic level, it makes it easier to defend against.
    R2S and I were having a discussion about this cert and the problem is that neither one of us have extensive windows admin experience. Do you think this cert is best coupled with admin experience or do you think a non admin would benefit just as much as an admin?

Again I would say yes, but due to the fact that as a admin you have seen how networks are commonly implemented. You can see the areas that are weak and exploitable and were they are strong in. If you haven't see how a network is designed it may be hard to see how this relates. I have seen people that haven't had any admin experience that would be a good candidate to self study/boot camp and be ready to take the test. That is just because they have the knowledge and understanding at this level.

Not a problem on the feedback. I would like to share as much information as possible.
  • -Foxer--Foxer- Member Posts: 151
    I just got my voucher today for the test, so I'll be taking it in the next 1-2 weeks. Did you take any practice tests? If so, which ones, and how accurate were they? Also, is the stuff in the books all that's on the test, or is there stuff not covered? Thanks for your feedback, hopefully i'll be able to provide some soon!
    Awesome dude! Thanks a ton. A real class acticon_thumright.gif

You are really making want to at least consider doing the an MCTS or MCSA (or just study in a different way) windows administration. icon_study.gif

What's next for you security wise?
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    I just got my voucher today for the test, so I'll be taking it in the next 1-2 weeks. Did you take any practice tests? If so, which ones, and how accurate were they?

I did, the Preplogic ones. They were not very accurate. The questions in the books where about as good as the Preplogic ones.
    -Foxer- wrote: »
    Also, is the stuff in the books all that's on the test, or is there stuff not covered? Thanks for your feedback, hopefully i'll be able to provide some soon!

There was some stuff I didn't see in any of the books but the subject escapes my mind at the moment. The books that I used covered almost all of it though.
    What's next for you security wise?

I haven't decided yet, but more then likely it will be one of these:

Linux+/LPIC-1
    WCNA
    CCNP

I have actually been studying a bit of each while studying for this test. I have read the first few chapters of CCNP Route and worked it out on GNS.

I also have had a side project at home of setting up a bridging firewall/IDS more for packet analysis then anything else. I also might go through some of the CDX 2009 stuff at ITOC Research: CDX Datasets. I have gone through some of it and found some interesting stuff.

I also need to set up some training for work so I will probably be doing that a bit over the next few weeks. It is going to be over TCP/IP v4, mostly about the structure and how different OSes implement it. I don't plan on going over routing and other protocols.
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I also might go through some of the CDX 2009 stuff at ITOC Research: CDX Datasets. I have gone through some of it and found some interesting stuff.

Cool link! I'll have to take a look at some of this stuff as well. Good luck to you!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■

First of all do you feel like you needed all of that material? Do you feel you had to draw off of experience or studying for this exam? Or both? Which one did you draw more from if you needed to draw from both? Do you think your windows certs helped you get this one done?

@wasted time - Just to go along with Bl8ckR0uter's questions, would you mind coming back to either this thread or do another post in about 6 to 9 months regarding the impact of this cert on your career? I am very curious to know what your thoughts are with the perspecive of a little time added in. I'm mostly curious to see how it changes your current work and also to see if it opens any new doors for you.
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratz on passing the C|EH! icon_thumright.gif
    @wasted time - Just to go along with Bl8ckR0uter's questions, would you mind coming back to either this thread or do another post in about 6 to 9 months regarding the impact of this cert on your career? I am very curious to know what your thoughts are with the perspecive of a little time added in. I'm mostly curious to see how it changes your current work and also to see if it opens any new doors for you.

I will, but I dought it will have much effect on my career even in 2 years time, as I am in the Army. Outside the knowledge gained, a NCOER bullet, and maybe helping me on my resume once I ETS.
  • jokingjoking Registered Users Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats.

I took half month to prepare CEH in May after my PMP exam. Read 2 bks and official materials so as some from ECSA. Building my lab w BT4 and re-capping with the exp. on IT sec.

I do think it is an interesting for my self-studies of CEH and also a good practice for my CISSP exam :) Unfortunately, you need pay thousands to take course in order to pass ECSA and probably it wont be my option.
  • SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I will, but I dought it will have much effect on my career even in 2 years time, as I am in the Army. Outside the knowledge gained, a NCOER bullet, and maybe helping me on my resume once I ETS.

Are you interested in doing CND/CNA for the Army?
    SephStorm wrote: »
    Are you interested in doing CND/CNA for the Army?

I have thought about it and this would certify me for most CND areas . It is definitely in the news right now. What about you?