Options

Joining the Cisco World

THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
I am joining to Cisco world. I have reading CNNA Study Guide by Todd Lammle, I have Packet Tracer 5.1 and other study guides. My problem I don't have access to real lab and I thought about purchasing Cisco CCNA (CiscoKit). However my budget is limited. I looking for advice on how best get the information really stick to prepare me for both the CCNA tests and working in the real world.
An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Most people will advise you to do some research and purchase a kit a piece (or 2) at a time off ebay to get it cheaper. That's how I'm doing it.
    Purchasing a whole kit at one time will be more expensive but you may have the advantage of having the most up to date IOS coming with the kit instaed of having to obtain it the hard way.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    THA_DOC wrote: »
    My problem I don't have access to real lab
    Have you checked out the free lab access over at packetlife.net? And while you're there, grab copies of their "**** sheets."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    earweed wrote: »
    Most people will advise you to do some research and purchase a kit a piece (or 2) at a time off ebay to get it cheaper. That's how I'm doing it.

That is what I would do also, but I do like the easy factor of CiscoKits.
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    THA_DOCTHA_DOC Member Posts: 99 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Have you checked out the free lab access over at packetlife.net? And while you're there, grab copies of their "**** sheets."

Thanks I looking at the site currently. I will use it .

CiscoKit.com is cureently beyond my budget, I have review it as well. But Thank for the advice:)
    An Open Mind, Working to Get IT!:cheers:

DOC
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Dirt-cheap 'starter' lab:
    2 2950 switches.
    1 26xx router (non-XM).
    a few cat5 cables, 1 or 2 crossover cables.

Get GNS3, use the image from the router to get it working for multi-router labs.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    bermovick wrote: »
    2 2950 switches.
    1 26xx router (non-XM).

Get GNS3, use the image from the router to get it working for multi-router labs.

I agree, you can for sure piece one together easy on E-bay. I just purchased my first piece to mine.
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2 2950 switches.
    1 26xx router (non-XM).

Just remember you will need more than 1 router for your CCNA Labs. Like bermovick said you can do this in GNS3 for multi-router simulations.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    2 2950 switches.

This thread fits me also, for I am "joining" also and very much a Cisco nueb. The switch I purchased tonight was the same switch that came with CiscoKits - Kits a 2924, and I am curious why you recommend a 2950?

- Thanks
  • Options
    tha_dubtha_dub Member Posts: 262
    Don't buy a kit. The time spent researching equipment and feature sets IOS etc is invaluable. Also think of your time spent as money saved.

I've picked up quite a few deals along the way.

2950 c 24 port for $20
    2611 for 20 bucks
    1760 for 20 bucks + 20 to max the ram and flash
  • Options
    2ndchance2ndchance Member Posts: 62 ■■□□□□□□□□
    This is just me, but I think I could have gotten my CCNA with Packet Tracer only.

I agree with the poster that said not to buy a kit. You REALLY learn a lot about Cisco gear and IOS feature sets by researching the stuff.

Again, I feel like Packet Tracer is good enough to practice doing almost everything necessary to pass the CCNA exam. Good luck, you are going down a wonderful road!
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    2ndchance wrote: »
    This is just me, but I think I could have gotten my CCNA with Packet Tracer only.

It's still recommended that you get some real hands on. There is plenty that you'll never see and learn with a simulator.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    All you need is packet tracer for the CCNA im my humble opionion
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Outside on normal study materials, I looked around for any kind of MP3's or wav files that I could find. I had a weekly commute of over 2 hours (one way) every Monday in an area with no radio reception. I found some good Net+, CCENT, and CCNA prep stuff that had been made by others. Most of it was the audio ripped from videos, but it made sense even though I didn't have the visual part of it. Gave me something to listen to on the road, and I think it helped me.
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    All you need is packet tracer for the CCNA im my humble opionion

I'll second this. I see no real need for a home lab just for the CCNA. Anything above that or more specialized, yes, but CCENT/CCNA objectives are easily learned and met without a lab.
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    sthompson86: From what I understand, the 2924 is an older switch, so some of it's commands won't be the same. The exam sims emulate a 2960 switch. Most people see a 2950 as 'close enough' while still being cheap enough. In CCNA:Security I've seen a command or two that's not on the 2950 but that's it so far. Your 2924 would still do fine as a 3rd switch in a triangle topology for STP labs though!

I agree that Packet Tracer would likely be enough to get you through CCNA (frankly I load gns3 more often than I power up my hardware), although I don't even mention it anymore as I actually got rated down once since you're not supposed to have it unless you go through the Academy. icon_rolleyes.gif
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    sthompson86: From what I understand, the 2924 is an older switch, so some of it's commands won't be the same. The exam sims emulate a 2960 switch. Most people see a 2950 as 'close enough' while still being cheap enough. In CCNA:Security I've seen a command or two that's not on the 2950 but that's it so far. Your 2924 would still do fine as a 3rd switch in a triangle topology for STP labs though!

Thank you!
  • Options
    If the OP does not mind, I have another newb CCNA question that I would like to ask in here Vs making a new thread.

I have a personal goal with my CCNA hardware and that is to simply run my DSL modem through my 1700 Cisco Router. I have found plenty of configs online, and I have copied those, but I am still missing something for I am still not getting internet access out of my would-be LAN interface. Nonetheless, I am very much, and I have not even dove into study for the CCNA yet. I am now just getting everything together in preparation to begin studying.

My question is, will CCNA give me the understanding of how to setup my DSL-Cisco router or should I just keep on charging along with Google trying different configs? I ask that because if the CCNA will get me in the ball park where I better understand what I am looking at Vs. just copying configs down like a cookbook I will just wait till I know a little bit more.

- Thanks in adv and OP
  • Options
    If the OP does not mind, I have another newb CCNA question that I would like to ask in here Vs making a new thread.

I have a personal goal with my CCNA hardware and that is to simply run my DSL modem through my 1700 Cisco Router. I have found plenty of configs online, and I have copied those, but I am still missing something for I am still not getting internet access out of my would-be LAN interface. Nonetheless, I am very much, and I have not even dove into study for the CCNA yet. I am now just getting everything together in preparation to begin studying.

My question is, will CCNA give me the understanding of how to setup my DSL-Cisco router or should I just keep on charging along with Google trying different configs? I ask that because if the CCNA will get me in the ball park where I better understand what I am looking at Vs. just copying configs down like a cookbook I will just wait till I know a little bit more.

- Thanks in adv and OP

*edit* - I figured out one thing I was doing wrong, I was configuring the router as the single device connecting me to the internet. The configs I was copying were not for a setup which included a modem.

I also did not mean to make a second post.
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    Post router config
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    VAHokie56 wrote: »
    Post router config

Sorry for the late response, after a few hours I figure it our, and it was nothingg to it once I figured out what needed to be done. - Thank you.