Options

Just took 70-640 and passed

fishwalkerfishwalker Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just took the test and passed, thought I would pass this on to some of you who are still studying for it.

1. there were easily 15 out of the 75 questions that were on certificate services.

2. not a whole lot of questions match the various practice tests that are out there, but they were a good review.

3. CBT and Trainsignal videos were a good foundation, but are general concepts and don't really drill down into things

4. DNS was another 15 out of the 75 questions

5. The sybex book helped

6. the Microsoft study kit helped also, but the practice tests that were with it don't really reflect any of the questions that were on the test. I seriously thought I wouldn't pass it even though I was scoring 90+ on the practice tests.

Overall, it was harder that I thought and didn't get into some of the areas that I thought it would. The one question that took me by complete surprise was backing up GPOs.

Comments

• Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on passing the exam.
    If you had 75 questions quite a few were probably Beta as the tests are normally in the 40 question range. Since they added Server R2 they were giving 60-75 question tests with a lot of beta questions.

On a side note it's probably not a good idea to mention using braindumps around here as they are frowned upon.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    LCALCA Member Posts: 215
    Well done! icon_thumright.gif

I agree with your comments about CBT and Trainsignal videos, they're fine to get a basic grounding in some of the exam topics but they don't get near the detail that is in the exam questions. Technet documentation and the various MS resource kits are the only sources that I know of that are at the same deep level.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

http://sqlsnapshots.blogspot.com/ - My SQL Server exam resources blog
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations, I only got 45 questions when I did it it seems they added 30 more, what's the max time allowed ?
  • Options
    fishwalkerfishwalker Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had 3 hours and 15 minutes i think, it might have been 3.5 hours.
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fishwalker wrote: »
    I had 3 hours and 15 minutes i think, it might have been 3.5 hours.

wow, that's one long exam
  • Options
    unnamedplayerunnamedplayer Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    za3bour wrote: »
    wow, that's one long exam

It's interesting, because I am working on finishing up my studies for this exam as well and have been looking around for info on if R2 is now covered and came across this thread which also states a 3 hour exam and 75 questions.

70-640 exam content - Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7

There's some good back and forth there with one of the MS guys.
  • Options
    uppervtechuppervtech Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Read the forum thread with Ben Watsons comments, disappointing with his response.

First 70-640 test was last Thursday with 55 question and two hour time frame. Yes there was R2 and Windows 7 references but the questions were based on R1. missed it with a 650. It was OK, last MS cert I took was over 10 years ago so I saw this as a warm-up.

No sweat, Studied problem material and retook the test after the weekend (Tuesday).

What a surprise when the proctor at this other prometric site said I had 4 hours to complete the exam. I sat down and looked at 75 questions with some of the content referencing Ad Recycle bin, Windows Mobile 7 certs and ImageX not to mention a healthy dose of PowerShell commands that were unique to R2.

All this after several months of reading, studying and lab work.

I'm hoping to find some supplementary R2 study material to prep for the my next go in two weeks.

ugh
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The 75 questions sounds like my first attempt at the 70-643.
    The Server 2008 R2 unleashed book is very good for a supplement to the MS Press books.
    Good luck on your retake.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    NightShade1NightShade1 Member Posts: 433 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also did this exam just afew days ago and passed with 795
    in the middle of the exam i though i wouldnt pass but well i was surprised that i passed...
    There were a lot of command questions...
    Anyways i had liek the basic knowledge of everything like i know what does NTDSutil and stuff like that i know it does some stuff but i really dotn know how to use it(what i mean is that i dont know commands to do something specific, i just know there is a command to do something i want haha)... for my luck they were just asking stuff about what it does and not too much on how to use it.

i was in good shape for DNS :) and i really didndt know about CA... because i have never use it in real world... all those tihngs my boss do it but i ll have to start doing them soon :P

i did guess a lot of CA questions somehow.... i got like 60% of CA guessing like most of it??? O_o hahahahah really i couldt not bealive it.... i just knew like 5 questions out 15 CA questions...

I studied for the new R2 stuff which help me a lot... they just ask you the basic stuff of it.. well at least they askmed me the basic stuff...

I studied from CBT and i took a course of it like some months back(i dont konw why in the course there was not the CA topic...)
    I reviewed with the tracender questions.
  • Options
    ITVinceITVince Member Posts: 143
    fishwalker, what was on the the exam with regards to R2 stuff?
    Currently studying for:
    MCTS 70-642 Network Infrastructure