Options

move and new job

It's been a couple of weeks, but I have a new job. I'm working as a Network Admin civilian contractor for an Army base in Arizona. It's interesting work; we have department/divisions for everything. No more jack-of-all-trades for me.

The weather is the best part; no snow and still around 70 degrees outside.

I hope to get my CCNA in January. Then it would be either be CCNP or CCIP. I might consider some Juniper certs, too, since we use both.

I want to thank TE for the support. I wouldn't have played the cert game without your encouragement.
Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
CCNA:Security
CCNP

More security exams and then the world.

Comments

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Your hand may be forced to look at doing the Security+ or the CISSP. I wouldn't wait for some deadline there... investigate and see if it is a possibility (I am feeling that it is certain, though). You may want to just hurry up and knock out the Security+ and then start studying for CISSP. If you end up being forced to do CISSP, they may give you a little more time to prepare for CISSP.

Best wishes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great to hear about the new job.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    ssampierssampier Member Posts: 224
    I think someone's spectacles aren't on yet. I already have my Security+. That's actually how they found me; a recruiter was searching for Security+ on Dice and found my resume.

I am not going to do CISSP now unless forced to. keatron said (many years ago) the CISSP ties together your years of security experience together. If you merely get the cert you're missing the point.

It's better to get certified in something that I'm already doing or want to do. I like security, but I am not sure I want to join the security team just yet. It seems like a lot of redtape and paperwork.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the new job!! icon_cheers.gif

And Good Luck with your CCNA studies icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    rogue2shadowrogue2shadow Member Posts: 1,501 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats on the job man!
  • Options
    Thanks! You guys rock. I'd offer a virtual hug, but most of us are guys.

I'll just buy the virtual beer and call it good :)

P.S. Reading frame relay now.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP

• Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ssampier wrote: »
    I think someone's spectacles aren't on yet. I already have my Security+. That's actually how they found me; a recruiter was searching for Security+ on Dice and found my resume.

I am not going to do CISSP now unless forced to. keatron said (many years ago) the CISSP ties together your years of security experience together. If you merely get the cert you're missing the point.

It's better to get certified in something that I'm already doing or want to do. I like security, but I am not sure I want to join the security team just yet. It seems like a lot of redtape and paperwork.

Oh, yes, I see now. icon_redface.gif

Well, just be prepared if you are asked. There are some contracts that end up having it as a requirement because the gov't agency needs to add to their headcount on a specific certification...

Best wished.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Can I ask why the CISSP is being demanded in the defense contractor world?

I know the function and benefit of CISSP. To me, only Senior team-members should need it.

But maybe different defense orgs have different rules. I work for GDIT.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP

• Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    ssampier wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads-up.

Can I ask why the CISSP is being demanded in the defense contractor world?

I know the function and benefit of CISSP. To me, only Senior team-members should need it.

But maybe different defense orgs have different rules. I work for GDIT.

I took my job in August. Currently studying for Security+
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I was stationed at the Army base you are working at. That's where I got my start in IT (worked for my unit, though, not DOIM). Sierra Vista is a wonderful place to take up hobbies like bike riding. Me and several other guys liked to bike from the high school in Sierra Vista to Tombstone on weekends.

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you enjoy it there as much as I did!
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    ehnde wrote: »
    I was stationed at the Army base you are working at. That's where I got my start in IT (worked for my unit, though, not DOIM). Sierra Vista is a wonderful place to take up hobbies like bike riding. Me and several other guys liked to bike from the high school in Sierra Vista to Tombstone on weekends.

Congratulations on the new job. I hope you enjoy it there as much as I did!

I didn't bring my bike with me since ?I figured I'd be spending my time learning my new job, and I was right. I might buy a bike here. I know next week is the Tour de Tucson and a friend offered to bring my bike out.

Like I said though, I'm busy learning the new job and trying to get the Security+ certification, then on to Linux+ and Solaris. don't really need Linux+, but I figured I'd tackle that before Solaris.
  • Options
    Small world. You're lucky, though. GDIT wouldn't touch me without Security+. We should definitely go out for coffee, a beer or something.

I really like Sierra Vista. I have been busy with the new job and setting up the new apartment. I haven't explored Tombstone or the surrounding area yet.

Fort Huachuca (no, it's not pronounced how most of you think) is nice. I haven't had anyone give me attitude. Everyone has been extremely helpful.
    Future Plans:

JNCIA Firewall
    CCNP