Passed CCENT today!! and a short Boson EXSim Max review

gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
So, I took the ICND1 this morning and passed with a 937!!!

I studied very hard for this exam and I am happy with my score. I used a number of different resources for this exam and I think it was important. I used the Net Academy curriculum, Todd Lammle's book, CBT Nuggets, I went through an element K course that was on the ACM website.

I used packet tracer, the real lab equipment at school, the virtual labs in the element k course, and the NetLab from school. I should have spent more time practicing with the labs and doing some of the troubleshooting lab exercises form the Net Academy on the real equipment or done them more in packet tracer but without using the nifty little cheats in packet tracer like the blinking lights and being able to hover over the router to see the ip addresses and ports being used. You've got to be able to do everything as if you are telneted into the router or switch remotely.

As a disclaimer I was lucky enough to be able to test the latest Boson EXSim Max ICND1 practice exams. It would have been worth it to purchase the practice test and I will be buying their practice test for the ICND2. I thought it was a pretty good predictor of success for the actual exam and probably a little harder than the real thing. One complaint about the Boson exam would be the lack of Simlet questions but there are simulation questions on the practice exams.

After taking the practice tests as if i was taking the real thing I went through in practice mode and read the explanations on every question I missed and also studied a little more in those areas.

I think it was invaluable that I can subnet in my head very quickly. I wrote down the chart I use which I have referenced in other threads and didn't have to use the dry erase board except to glance at the chart. I practiced subnetting for hours and hours and hours.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations on the Pass (and CCENT) icon_cheers.gif

Good Luck with your ICND2 studies icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • eserfelizeserfeliz Member Posts: 134
    Congratulations!
    MCP, HDI-SCA, MCDST, Network+, MCTS: W7C, MCITP: EDST7, BS: MIS

In progress: MCSA (70-290 & 70-291), CCENT, CCA XenDesktop 5
  • Chris:/*Chris:/* Member Posts: 658 ■■■■■■■■□□
    congrats!
    Degrees:
    M.S. Information Security and Assurance
    B.S. Computer Science - Summa Cum Laude
    A.A.S. Electronic Systems Technology
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Javi437Javi437 Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!!!! I will be taking my test this Friday hope to be successful as you were with the test.
    CCENT
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Congrats! :D

Is this the Todd LLamle book you used?
    Amazon.com: CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician Study Guide: ICND1 (Exam 640-822) (Exam 640-822 With CD) (9780470247020): Todd Lammle: Books

or did you use his study guide for the CCNA (Exam 640-802)
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • MonkerzMonkerz Member Posts: 842
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    Thanks! I used the CCENT book you linked to but if I had to do it over again I would consider buying the one Lammle book that covers the CCNA composite and the two Odom books. I have a safari books subscription now so it's not a big deal.
  • IRONMONKUSIRONMONKUS Member Posts: 143 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

I'm hoping to pass the CCENT and CCNA this year and hearing stories like this about study time and what study aids are used, really help a lot.
  • YahelYahel Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats icon_cheers.gif
    CCNA = Passed (01-02-2011)
    NEXT : CCNP ROUTE
  • Greenmet29Greenmet29 Member Posts: 240
    Great score!!! Congrats!!!
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thanks for the Safari Books Online reference! Didn't know that existed and it is going to save me a ton on books now!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Thanks for the Safari Books Online reference! Didn't know that existed and it is going to save me a ton on books now!

I have access to a portion of the Safari books collection for free with my IEEE student membership. It is awesome. I am tempted to pay extra for the whole library.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!

Good luck getting the CCNA

icon_thumright.gif
  • Xishan anwarXishan anwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gosh1976 wrote: »
    So, I took the ICND1 this morning and passed with a 937!!!

I studied very hard for this exam and I am happy with my score. I used a number of different resources for this exam and I think it was important. I used the Net Academy curriculum, Todd Lammle's book, CBT Nuggets, I went through an element K course that was on the ACM website.

I used packet tracer, the real lab equipment at school, the virtual labs in the element k course, and the NetLab from school. I should have spent more time practicing with the labs and doing some of the troubleshooting lab exercises form the Net Academy on the real equipment or done them more in packet tracer but without using the nifty little cheats in packet tracer like the blinking lights and being able to hover over the router to see the ip addresses and ports being used. You've got to be able to do everything as if you are telneted into the router or switch remotely.

As a disclaimer I was lucky enough to be able to test the latest Boson EXSim Max ICND1 practice exams. It would have been worth it to purchase the practice test and I will be buying their practice test for the ICND2. I thought it was a pretty good predictor of success for the actual exam and probably a little harder than the real thing. One complaint about the Boson exam would be the lack of Simlet questions but there are simulation questions on the practice exams.

After taking the practice tests as if i was taking the real thing I went through in practice mode and read the explanations on every question I missed and also studied a little more in those areas.

I think it was invaluable that I can subnet in my head very quickly. I wrote down the chart I use which I have referenced in other threads and didn't have to use the dry erase board except to glance at the chart. I practiced subnetting for hours and hours and hours.

pls show some question what you have faced in the examination.
  • impzimpz Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□

That's against the NDA.......

not gonna break the NDA. Not that I could remember what questions were asked as soon as I walked out of the testing center much less almost two months later. If you want to know what is covered on the exam check here: 640-822 ICND1 - IT Certification and Career Paths - Cisco Systems
  • Xishan anwarXishan anwar Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sorry, I didn't know
    I'm really extremely sorry for this
    I respect the rules.