Options

The importance of a Masters Degree grade?

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
hey guys,

im just wondering what your thoughts are on a Masters degree grade and how important it is to your future career and career goals? At the moment alot of stuff is going on in my life which has had an effect on my grades at university, so im not doing as well as i could or should be, although i am passing my modules ok. by the end of this semester i should be approximately averaging around 65%, however, the uni says this is not good enough and i should be working at 10-15% higher than what i am from my ability. For my 4 year degree i achieved a distinction which is why they expect more.

Currently im working full time as a network engineer, full-time university, having to learn a ton of new stuff for my recently acquired new job, and i need to wrap up a few juniper and possibly my ccnp by the end of 2011. My masters should also be completed by dec 2011. i also have some personal issues as someone very close to me is in bad health, which has been very upsetting to me. i cant attend uni on campus for my lectures due to work commitments - this is something i accepted before the course and im fine with as all the material is accessible online and so forth. However, many lecturers are not happy with this..so much so, that many want me thrown off the course altogether as they believe uni is more important than my full time job (and gaining great experience).

So things are starting to pile up on me pretty quickly from all angles. from the way i feel at the moment i would be satisfied if i passed each module at uni to achieve my masters. i know you should always aim for the highest mark possible but thats just how i feel at the moment. If i could have my ccnp and masters by the end of 2011 i would be happy i think.

So i have a few questions:

1) do you think im wrong for simply aiming for a pass mark at masters level?
2) if i do only achieve a pass grade, will my masters be worth something or not much more than my 4 year degree?
3) do you think i should drop any areas of study? if so, which ones and why?
4) would a pass grade at masters effect my chances of gaining a high position such as a network architect /consultancy role when companies look at your academic side?

the way i see thing too by the end of 2011 i will have 9+ years of IT experiance, 3-4 in networking, a Bsc Hons distinction, a Msc Advanced network engineering degree and hopefully some juniper/ccnp additions too. I'll be 25, nearly 26 then. i dont think i'll be at a bad point of my career but uni & co are suggesting otherwise.

sorry for the long post, just need to vent that built up frustration a little and could use some guidance :)
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you are currently working in IT I don't think grades matter that much. If you are starting out in IT, having excellent grades might be one of the few things you can add to your resume. Graduating with honors can also help with this.

I figure if your paying a lot of money for an education you might as well get your money's worth and try as hard as you can.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I would say unless you plan to further your education past a Masters degree, your grades there arent that important. However, as pointed out above, you will be able to learn alot there so definitely do the best that you can, it will pay off!
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just in general (applies to high school, undergrad, or graduate) your grades only matter in the event that you will further you education, beyond the necessary marks to graduate. That being said, just because you may think you are at the end of the line, you may be surprised with what you decide to do in the future.

The one thing that is unique to grad school is that it has reputation of grade inflation, meaning a lot of people get an A for B or C quality work. My grad school is really trying to build a reputation of rigor and they make it nearly impossible to get an A; that being said, the top grade is usually a B, and another school may assume C or D quality work, at that point... it is frustrating for me because my company expects me to use my tuition reimbursement funds as often as possible... that based on my personal goals means I intend to get another masters degree and potentially two doctoral degrees.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    pixelperson1pixelperson1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I just applied and interviewed for two IT positions.

1. the MIS degree was important to the interview panel. They asked several questions relating to my desire to finish (I'm a bit more than half way through the program) and asked my thoughts on the degree of difficulty.

2. Other managers who I spoke to stated that an MIS degree is key if you are interested in a management/Project Manager slot.

3. Grades are important - almost all programs will drop you, or place you on academic probation if you do not maintain a 3.0 (B) average

4. All IT Masters programs are supposed to be geared toward providing students with the training needed to manage large IT-related projects.

Both interviews went well.... I have been called back for a second interview by one employer.

Enjoy!
    C. Christensen
    CompTia Network+; A+ Certified, Security+
    www.creativeoverload.com
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    However, many lecturers are not happy with this..so much so, that many want me thrown off the course altogether as they believe uni is more important than my full time job (and gaining great experience).

What a bunch of academic snobs! It's none of their damn business what you do when you're not in class. Don't let other peoples opinions control how you feel about your life and your progress. School is about getting in, getting it done, and graduating. If you can do more, great. If not, that's your business.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    ehnde wrote: »
    What a bunch of academic snobs! It's none of their damn business what you do when you're not in class. Don't let other peoples opinions control how you feel about your life and your progress. School is about getting in, getting it done, and graduating. If you can do more, great. If not, that's your business.

I have to concur. Academics who think that the point of school is the "pursuit of knowledge" are ridiculous. No one needs school to pursue knowledge. School is a tool to make yourself more marketable by going through steps A through Z, having completed the program and learned at least a few things along the way. School is about preparing yourself for work, nothing else. If you already have a job, school is just there to enhance that. You can direct them to me (seriously) if they ever try to push that garbage again (I will make it personal mission to debate this with them face to face, if possible). It's funny how they state these things when it is there source of income.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    ehnde wrote: »

yeah i totally agree. but sadly these are the people who have the power to kick me out, there seems to be a huge amount of biased attitudes towards me because i work full-time. 2 out of 3 lecturers have stated they wouldnt be sorry to see me go to the program leader due to my attendance method. They definitely seemed worried by the approach to the program, a lecturer even stated "well if every student were to do your approach then there would be no need for us". I think that sums it up really.

I also think its due to the fact i said i dont believe the masters will be the defining point of my career (this merely being constructive evaluation and not criticism), i stated it would be an important and good addition to my skillset and CV but it would not be as influential as something like a CCIE for example.

If my final grade is only a pass, then i just really hope it doesnt do me any damage long term, from my experience i dont think it will do.

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nel wrote: »
    yeah i totally agree. but sadly these are the people who have the power to kick me out, there seems to be a huge amount of biased attitudes towards me because i work full-time. 2 out of 3 lecturers have stated they wouldnt be sorry to see me go to the program leader due to my attendance method. They definitely seemed worried by the approach to the program, a lecturer even stated "well if every student were to do your approach then there would be no need for us". I think that sums it up really.

WOW, the fact that someone would admit that is scary.

You've invested your time and money so stick it out. Once your done you will be proud of your accomplishments and may even inspire some of your fellow students.
  • Options
    WOW, the fact that someone would admit that is scary.

You've invested your time and money so stick it out. Once your done you will be proud of your accomplishments and may even inspire some of your fellow students.

thanks man, thats much appreciated. Yep, that is what i was told. I couldnt believe it to be fair because i am a small minority who approaches a degree in this fashion, so really they have nothing to worry about re the overall program. Besides, there getting paid for the tuition fee's.

• Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    nel wrote: »

I also think its due to the fact i said i dont believe the masters will be the defining point of my career (this merely being constructive evaluation and not criticism), i stated it would be an important and good addition to my skillset and CV but it would not be as influential as something like a CCIE for example.

If my final grade is only a pass, then i just really hope it doesnt do me any damage long term, from my experience i dont think it will do.

I don't know how it is across the pond but here in the states, if a professor said that, I would go straight to the deal of the college. That's total bull. I have had 2 online classes this quarter and I will have 3 or maybe 4 next quarter and I have never once doubted the value of my professor. It seems like they are some old school academic types, career students who made the transition to professor. IMO in most professionals a masters degree is overkill. I think that if they don't understand that you have a career then they are full of it.