Options

Cisco's SDM

Bolton07Bolton07 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
What do you need to know about Cisco's SDM for CCENT?

Do you need to know how to use Cisco's SDM for CCENT?

Have tried downloading SDM and SDM demo from the www.cisco.com website but I can't get it to work. Do you need to have a router for it to work?

Have downloaded all the files for CISCO's SDM and SDM demo. I can open SDM launcher but thats all.

Comments

• Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Getting SDM to work is a chore in and of itself, as you have to have the proper version of internet explorer/firefox, combined with the proper version of java.

If memory serves, I don't think SDM is covered at CCENT level much if at all. I say this simply because I didn't get an SDM-capable router until CCNA:Security studies; so if there's anything at ICND1 or ICND2, it must be REALLY basic.

Ahh; I checked the Exam Topics on cisco's website, and the only mention of SDM are these 2 things:
    Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping
    Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Supported SDM routers - http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5318/product_data_sheet0900aecd800fd118.html

I wouldn't waste my time too much on it. If it's covered at all it will be insignificant to the other information you need to know.
  • Options
    alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All questions about what is/isn't on an exam can be answered by the Cisco exam blueprints, which can be found here. The actual blueprints require a login, but registration is free and doesn't take long. For the CCENT, you can probably get away with just following along in the book or video that you're studying from, as has been mentioned, there isn't a lot to know.

SDM is a pain in the butt to get running, to say the least. It's real picky about which version of Java you're running so you'll almost always end up having to find a pretty old version that it will cooperate with. I've never had any problem at home (so far, knock on wood), but when I took the Academy classes, we could never get it going and ended up having to just skip that section.
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't know if things have changed significantly since I got my CCNA less than a year ago, but when I took a bootcamp for it or read Todd Lammle's book, the SDM wasn't covered at all. As a matter of fact, I didn't even touch it until I started working on the CCNA Security. Also, I believe the SDM was officially replaced by the CCP a while ago.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9422/

The ICND1 blueprint does mention the SDM though. At the CCENT level, you can probably just memorize screenshots.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    docrice wrote: »
    Also, I believe the SDM was officially replaced by the CCP a while ago.
    SDM has been deprecated for ages now and as you said it has been replaced by CCP but it is still on the exam blueprint so it is fair game for it to appear on your exam. As such, you should get some experience of it. It isn't hard to use but you'll waste valuable time looking around the options when you could have done that in your own time before the exam.