Options

Few Questions

Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'm planning to take the Network+ exam before Jan. 1 and have a few questions:

1. What are the best sources for free practice exams/questions?

2. Will using the big Mike Meyers book, Messer's videos and practice Qs be enough? I have no professional network experience but have built/maintained my own systems for probably 10 years. No previous IT training but am pretty good at "book learning" (graduate degree).

3. What available study material gives the best feel for actual exam questions? For example, the Meyers book provides significantly more detailed info for many areas than the Messer videos. Do the actual exam questions cover topics in Meyers-like detail?

4. Why does my brain refuse to memorize Ethernet standards?

5. One thing Meyers doesn't seem to be big on is talking about which protocols work at which layers, but sample tests seemingly love asking questions about it. For example, do I need to know that RIp operates at layer 3?

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    TheSuperRuskiTheSuperRuski Member Posts: 240
    Pratt2 wrote: »

1. What are the best sources for free practice exams/questions?

2. Will using the big Mike Meyers book, Messer's videos and practice Qs be enough? I have no professional network experience but have built/maintained my own systems for probably 10 years. No previous IT training but am pretty good at "book learning" (graduate degree).

3. What available study material gives the best feel for actual exam questions? For example, the Meyers book provides significantly more detailed info for many areas than the Messer videos. Do the actual exam questions cover topics in Meyers-like detail?

Thanks!!

1. I dont know of many free guides when it comes to network+ besides professormesser.com and proprofs.com.
    2. Using the guides you stated will be enough to pass the test if you fully understand the material.
    3. I would say mike meyers book gives a good feel for the actual exam.
    4. And i cant help you with the ethernet basics. i was fortunate to only get two questions on distances and they were both base-t questions which are 100 meters.
    [CENTER][FONT=Fixedsys][SIZE=4][COLOR=red][I]Величина бандит ... Ваша сеть моя детская площадка [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/CENTER]

• Options
    Reck_Reck_ Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Hope this one helps....

1. What are the best sources for free practice exams/questions?-
    Resources:
    - This site.Not probably the best one but its free...Just navigate along then you will find one or two free practice question(s).

- I haven't try Meyers.
    -Messer's approach is a good one because of the per objective and direct to the point explanations.
    - I also prefer books (with a combination of taking down notes)as a prep material.Although we are now on the 2009 objectives, I recommend Network + 2005 In Depth by Tamara Dean because of the easy to understand explanation.It covers 90% of the 2009 objective + added infomation that I've found informative.

- Just as I've posted on my own exam experience,no matter whats your prep material, just stick to the objective.
    -If you want a very touch on how does it feel in front of the exam it self then I recommend you this. Sample Questions

-Tell your Brain not to.You'll be giving away 20% exam points if you dont pay attention on it. I've read numerous article on the net that Network + exam do really love asking Standards and numbers.Trust me they really do.You dont want to overlook at this one.

5. One thing Meyers doesn't seem to be big on is talking about which protocols work at which layers, but sample tests seemingly love asking questions about it. For example, do I need to know that RIp operates at layer 3?
    - A BIG YES...and you would want also to master what devices operates at what layer.another 20% exam points by the way...

And lastly, if you still have plenty of time to make it by Dec 31 2010, then go for it. Please have a minute reading this CompTIA Certification Renewal Policy

thanks and good luck...
  • Options
    Pratt2Pratt2 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies! They helped quite a bit. icon_smile.gif