Is the Official Exam Certification Guide Vs Cisco Student Guide

michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
Does the Cisco official Exam certification guide offer the same level of knowledge as the Student guide given out in the Official Cisco Classes?

Comments

• lrblrb Member Posts: 526
    I think wendell odoms official exam cert book is top notch, and offers quite a lot more detail and examples than the course books. Comparng the BGP sections in each book will give you an idea of how much more detail is in the official exam glcert guide. The official exam cert guide is also a lot less dry than the foundation learning guide. Although Wendell odom does crap on and repeat stuff quite a few times in the book
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Does the Cisco official Exam certification guide offer the same level of knowledge as the Student guide given out in the Official Cisco Classes?
    No.

The Student AND Lab Guides given out in the Official Cisco Classes can be used as the single source of study to learn the objectives for the corresponding exam.

I'd guess that part of the verification of possible exam questions would be if it was covered in the Official Class Courseware (or suggested additional study links). I doubt they consult with the Cisco Press authors to check out the new book's content for new exams or check out the published Cisco Press books for updated questions to the exams.

For self study you usually will need both the Foundation Book and Exam Certification Guide -- and still need to check off the topics in the exam blueprint and fill in any missing topics from the Cisco Documentation and White Papers.

The Cisco Press Exam Certification Guides might be fine for someone who has been working for a Cisco Business Partner for a year and has gained experience in multiple customer environments and all the Cisco CCNP Topics and just needs to review for the exam.

The Cisco Press Foundation Guides (which replaced the Authorized <exam name> Self-Study Series) should be the first stop for someone who needs to learn the topics (or most of the topics) for the first time.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • michael_knightmichael_knight Member Posts: 136
    Thanks.. I read the foundation learning guide and I'm taking the class now so hopefully I'll be ok. I guess I'll find out when I take the test this saturday.