Options

70-649 Here I Come

RoRsChAcHRoRsChAcH Member Posts: 31 ■■■□□□□□□□
Finally going to take the 70-649 on tomorrow (11/16/10). I purchased the MS Press book but only read a couple chapters because it was way to dry for me. The IPv6 chapter alone was like watching paint dry. ;) I instead went with just the CBT Nuggets video series which I would always recommend although they can be a little pricey. I figured I could get by with just the CBT Nuggets (12 years in the IT field) but I am kinda nervous about any detailed command line usage/syntax that might be on the exam. I kinda wish MS would pose some more real world questions instead of trying to choose what wbadmin/appcmd/nmcap/WMI usage/syntax is correct. It seems the older I get and the longer I'm in the field the harder it is to be motivated for these tests. Having 3 kids can also put a damper on study time as well. :) Oh well....wish me luck or last min advice....

Comments

• Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    Well, my good luck is too late. Hopefully you pass.

I write mine in 12 hrs. I too am in the same boat with the kids. The only reason I am even writing it is to stay a gold certified partner.

Hope you did well.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    za3bourza3bour Member Posts: 1,062 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Can only wish you good luck now, keep us posted
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    TrailerisfTrailerisf Member Posts: 455
    I bombed badly. Majority of the exam was based on R2... and of course my materials weren't.

The stuff that microsoft quizzes on frustrates me. Mundane and obscure.
    On the road to Cisco. Will I hunt it, or will it hunt me?
  • Options
    WTF Microsoft!?!? Just walked in the door after taking the exam.

THE ENTIRE TEST WAS ON R2!!!!

The past month of studying was a complete waste. The MS Prep book and CBT Nuggets are a complete waste on passing this exam now. Even the test header read "Upgrading from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2008" with nothing saying "R2". I knew within the first 5 minutes that I was screwed. This is coming from someone that has been using R2 in a production environment since its release so I'm familiar with the differences but not the obscurities of what Microsoft will test on. I still can’t believe I passed....I'm so shocked that I'm not even excited like I usually am after taking an exam. I felt completely blindsided by MS on this one. Anyways below were my results....

642: 700
    640: 775
    643: 754

A pass is a pass I guess. I feel sorry for anyone else that is/will get blindsided. My test favored these technologies HEAVLY....

AD FS
    AD LDS
    AD RMS
    Direct Access
    Hyper-V
    NPS
    WDS
    Windows 7 interaction w/ R2

Not looking forward to finishing my upgrade exams now. Hope this info helps those that plan to take the test soon.
  • Options
    Trailerisf wrote: »
    I bombed badly. Majority of the exam was based on R2... and of course my materials weren't.

The stuff that microsoft quizzes on frustrates me. Mundane and obscure.

Man I completely feel your pain. I felt I had no chance to pass within the first 5 minutes of the test. 3/4 the questions they asked were so obscure I just did a process of elimination and just got lucky I guess. Whoever writes these tests needs to get a real world job. I wouldn’t let it get you down but they only downside is trying to find objectives for the new R2 test so you can cover your bases the next time you take it. Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    steve77uksteve77uk Member Posts: 48 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass - well done.

I myself am in a bit of a conundrum as to what to do so have posted something here http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcts-mcitp-windows-2008-general/60344-so-here-starts-all-over-again.html for advice.

I have my MCSE 2003, but don't want to have to take all the exams again - but wonder if I will find the upgrade too hard in one go...
    A+ | Network+ | MCSA 2003 | MCSE 2003 | MCSA: Messaging 2003 | VCP 410

Now need 2008 Enterprise AND Exchange 2010 :cry:
  • Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    I'm currently testing for this exam and I must admit....it's a load of nonsense. All these commands you have to remember, when in the real world you would stick a "/?" on there for your syntaxes and have the Internet for a bit of technet. These exams have turned into a memory game from night before cramming. They need to have simulation exams for everything.
  • Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    I'm currently in the same boat Steve. I don't think the MCSE 2003 will expire in most employers eyes, but I think it will be hard when joining an employer who requires your certification for competency. I'm dealing with SBS on a daily basis so it would be far wiser for me to do those exams and some admin exams like 70-642 etc. but I don't want to lose all my hard work on the MCSE 2003.