Options

New guy going for CCIE

Comments

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Shopped some tokens. I now have 1200 tokens total, that and Dynamips should get me pretty far into lab studies. Might do some studying in the weekend but not too much and monday I will rest to be fresh for the test.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    235 - That is the number of hours put in as I take the written in a couple of hours. Hopefully it will be a magic number and my journey to the lab can begin. Will post when I'm done.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Passed! A bit tougher than I expected. I was really nervous when pressing the finish button, thought I would only pass or fail by a question or so but in the end I had a pretty decent passing score. Exam was more heavy in certain areas than expected. I also have to say that the graphics and exhibits could be of better quality, also I had at least one question where all alternatives were wrong and I had to choose the least wrong answer. I am more releaved than happy right now but I guess I'll be happier as the day goes a long. I now have my ticket to the lab which is all that counts :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Passed! A bit tougher than I expected. I was really nervous when pressing the finish button, thought I would only pass or fail by a question or so but in the end I had a pretty decent passing score. Exam was more heavy in certain areas than expected. I also have to say that the graphics and exhibits could be of better quality, also I had at least one question where all alternatives were wrong and I had to choose the least wrong answer. I am more releaved than happy right now but I guess I'll be happier as the day goes a long. I now have my ticket to the lab which is all that counts :)
    quite the inspiration. Congratulations! as others have said before, The clock has just begun. Good luck on your Lab studies. once again congrats. icon_cheers.gif
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Passed!
    Congratulations!! icon_cheers.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    mickeycoronadomickeycoronado Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It may mean nothing to you coming from me but congrats reaper, wow.icon_thumright.gif
    "Are you suggesting that coconuts are migratory?!"
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_cheers.gif

Keep us up to date on your studies for the CCIE lab icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    SirsamonSirsamon Member Posts: 221
    Congratulations :0

onto the lab.

icon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gificon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Thanks guys, appreciate your feedback :) I'll definately keep you posted about my path to the lab.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Congrats, must feel good to get that one done!
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    congrats man! It was, imo, for a version 4 test, still a bit outdated. Now you can join the rest of us in lab preparations. I hate to say it, but now the tough part begins! I have spent the last 3 months since my written finding out just how much I dont know.
  • Options
    Jason, I totally agree that it felt a bit outdated in some parts. When I did the test I realized that there is still a lot of stuff I don't know and I am anxious to start labbing to increase my knowledge in those areas. Hopefully you and I and the others studying can help each other out so we get some new CCIE's at TE :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Good news. One of the few people in the world these days who spends 200 hours preparing for the written, as you should do as opposed to a couple of weekends with tk. All of that hard work is going to pay off in your lab prep so you understand what those workbooks are actually trying to teach you and in the field in years aheah when you are scratching your head you will be able to energise what you had momentarily forgotten. Preparing for the written is important regardless of what some CCIE's may tell you. Time to get the lab prep counter started now!
  • Options
    Thanks again everyone and thanks Turgon. I have sceduled some labtime tonight at graded labs. Will be my first run at rack rentals. So the lab hours should start ticking in tonight and then hopefully continue to do so at a steady pace. If anyone is interested I could write a post with the material I used to study for the written.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Are you using INE materials?
  • Options
    Are you using INE materials?

Yes, got a good deal on all four workbooks a while back so today I am starting with some vol1 topics. What about you?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    I am as well. I was kind of floundering for a technique or method to use with their workbooks when I found this:
    How to pass the CCIE R&S with INE’s 4.0 Training Program | CCIE Blog

If you havent seen it before it might help you out a bit. I dont necessarily pace myself with what they proposed there, but I do follow the task ordering. It helps, it really does. You have also probably found ieoc.com...it is invaluable when you have a question to one of their tasks. Most other students have hit the same stumps, and usually have already posted something about how "they" solved it...showing some other methods to the CCIE madness.

Hit me up on pm sometime, we can hit a lab up simultaneously and see how it turns out.
  • Options
    Jason,

Thanks for some good advice. I have read that post and I am going to follow that program in some way. I finished 1.1 to 1.12 today but had some trouble with the etherchannel in 1.12. This is the error message I got:

%PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: channel-misconfig error detected on Fa0/13, putting Fa0/13 in err-disable state

I set both sides to on so not sure why I would see this, I read something that if waiting too long before configuring both sides this could happen but I also tried shut/no shut and reconfiguring to no prevail.

I would love to lab with you sometime, I do live in Sweden though, so timezone is a factor.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Redid 1.12 today and did shut of interfaces before, problem solved. Finished 2.1 to 2.8 and 3.1 today. Going to watch some videos on frame-relay and read some documentation on LMI and inverse ARP. Feels like I've got a good start to my lab studies. Will try to do next session at sunday evening.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Wrote a script to convert INE vol1 labs to a Dynamips format. Still in beta format but seems to be working, need to edit some things. Available at my web page for anyone that is interested. Scheduled a session for tonight to do labs.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wrote a script to convert INE vol1 labs to a Dynamips format. Still in beta format but seems to be working, need to edit some things. Available at my web page for anyone that is interested. Scheduled a session for tonight to do labs.

And where is this webpage? I have not been reading through all of this thread if I missed it, I'm sorry. That is freaking amazing.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    And where is this webpage? I have not been reading through all of this thread if I missed it, I'm sorry. That is freaking amazing.

Hi,

You can find it @ Daniels quest for CCIE.

Try it out and report if you find any errors, I think have caught most of them myself.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Finished up to 3.8 today. Need to do 3.8 again since my rack rental just ended before I could finish. Taking a lot of notes while doing the labs, might put them up on my blog if I find the time.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Did some more labs today. Did a lab with gre, recursive routes can be a bit tricky, trying to get my head around it but I'm too tired now. Need to rethink the labs tomorrow.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    CucumberCucumber Member Posts: 192
    what do you mean my recursive routes?
    I hate pandas
  • Options
    stuh84stuh84 Member Posts: 503
    Cucumber wrote: »
    what do you mean my recursive routes?

I'm going to guess learning the tunnel endpoint address via the tunnel itself, so when trying to maintain a connection, the tunnel goes down as it can't use itself to maintain itself.
    Work In Progress: CCIE R&S Written

CCIE Progress - Hours reading - 15, hours labbing - 1
  • Options
    Did some more labs today. Did a lab with gre, recursive routes can be a bit tricky, trying to get my head around it but I'm too tired now. Need to rethink the labs tomorrow.

Its easy, you bring the tunnel up, and it learns that the best path to the tunnel destination is via the tunnel itself. We should just consider ourselves lucky that the router picks up on this and shuts the tunnel down for us. This happens alot with misconfigured GRE tunnels that are used as "sudo" virtual links across a stub area.
  • Options
    Its easy, you bring the tunnel up, and it learns that the best path to the tunnel destination is via the tunnel itself. We should just consider ourselves lucky that the router picks up on this and shuts the tunnel down for us. This happens alot with misconfigured GRE tunnels that are used as "sudo" virtual links across a stub area.

Yeah, did some thinking this morning and I know totally understand what is happening. The tunnel destination should probably be nailed with a static route though. One weird thing happened when I was trying to do the distribute list, I was filtering the wrong network but that brought all RIP adjacencies down. I was filtering from 10.x and alla other subnets are 150.x and 155.x so not sure why I wouldn't receive any routes at all. Did some debugging but wasn't able to come to a definite conclusion.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149