Options

New guy going for CCIE

Comments

• Options
    reaper81reaper81 Member Posts: 631
    Did some RIP labs yesterday in a 3 hour session. What was weird is that I cant find the command ip rip advertise in the command reference? Does anyone know where it is located?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Finished with RIP labs. Not that much new stuff but RIP still has more knobs than most people know and I like the filtering it can do compared to the link state protocols :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    jason_lundejason_lunde Member Posts: 567
    reaper81 wrote: »
    Finished with RIP labs. Not that much new stuff but RIP still has more knobs than most people know and I like the filtering it can do compared to the link state protocols :)

Ya it certainly does. Narbiks labs, if you ever get around to any of them, really start to open your eyes to how much rip can do. I think he even has built an 8-hour lab around rip, I will have to see if I can find it again.
  • Options
    honohono Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

You can find it @ Daniels quest for CCIE.

Try it out and report if you find any errors, I think have caught most of them myself.

Hello Reaper81,

You are a very good and interresting blog,

I tried your Putty batch, good

Thanks

Daniel.
    Daniel
    CCIE R&S
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cucumber wrote: »
    what do you mean my recursive routes?

You never heard of this or the problems it can cause? Is this not in the CCNP syllabus?

Jeff Doyle covers it.
  • Options
    hono wrote: »
    Hello Reaper81,

You are a very good and interresting blog,

I tried your Putty batch, good

Thanks

Daniel.

Hi,

Glad you like it :) The Putty post was very popular so I might do another post on it but need to think of something that would be worth posting.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Did labs on EIGRP tonight. I'm getting a decent amount of hours in so far and I hope I can keep the pace. Hopefully I can reach 300 hours next week which should be at least 25% of what's needed to be in good shape for the lab.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Did some labbing on OSPF tonight. Need to get all the different kind of networks into my head, point-to-multipoint non-broadcast etc.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    something that helped me in regards to those
    'non-broadcast needs neighbors'
  • Options
    Thanks Jason. Read that a while back on your blog and it helps. I have a lot of notes but need to get them into a useable format, probably going to make flash cards out of them. Difficult finding the time to go through labs and videos and still have time to put my notes in Anki but I'll try to start tonight.

Trying to take a more active approach when reading now and watching videos, not just go through the stuff but take notes and think of questions that can trigger the memory.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Uploaded an Anki deck to my blog. Not much content yet, just EIGRP. Content will be added whenever I find time to do so. Although it is best to develop your own deck you can use mine if you need some inspiration.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    wireratwirerat Member Posts: 251
    Uploaded an Anki deck to my blog. Not much content yet, just EIGRP. Content will be added whenever I find time to do so. Although it is best to develop your own deck you can use mine if you need some inspiration.
    Have you tried Mnemosyne as well as Anki? I have not started using flash cards yet but was wondering if one program is better than the other or basically just the same.
  • Options
    Have only tried Anki so far and was simple enough to make me not try anthing else although Mnemosyne is probably excellent as well and Turgon uses it IIRC.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Another round of OSPF last night. Used some commands I haven't seen before like no capability transit. Also nice to get a real good grasp of how metric is built by using the show ip ospf database commands. The more I learn through studying for the CCIE the less it feels like I know :D
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Hey man hows is going? Are you finding yourself getting any better with the DOC-CD? I finally broke down and went through it pretty good making notes on where to find things. I *try* to use it and only it when I lab nowadays, but it rarely stays that way throughout the lab as I usually get a bit frustrated w/ Cisco's documentation. But the more I use it the more helpful it becomes. My goal is to not have to use it for most everything, but things like flexible packet matching simply cannot be remembered imo...so I will rely on it for those types of things. Got my first mock lab scheduled next Tuesday...so we will see how much progress has actually been made then. Glad to see your still truckin along, see you more and more on IEOC as well..
  • Options
    Hey Jason,

Everything is going well, I'm going to start the BGP labs now. After that I have IPv6, multicast and MPLS VPN to do before I start with the vol2 labs. I am getting better at using the DOC-CD. When I need to find something when doing labs or when I need to find something out at work DOC-CD is my first stop and I try to not google anything unless I really get stuck. Some things can be a hassle to find though, when I did the OSPF labs I didn't know about the command no capability transit and couldn't find it on the DOC-CD. Also I would like to know the exact links we may use on the DOC-CD, is the command reference and master reference available?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Hey man hows is going? Are you finding yourself getting any better with the DOC-CD? I finally broke down and went through it pretty good making notes on where to find things. I *try* to use it and only it when I lab nowadays, but it rarely stays that way throughout the lab as I usually get a bit frustrated w/ Cisco's documentation. But the more I use it the more helpful it becomes. My goal is to not have to use it for most everything, but things like flexible packet matching simply cannot be remembered imo...so I will rely on it for those types of things. Got my first mock lab scheduled next Tuesday...so we will see how much progress has actually been made then. Glad to see your still truckin along, see you more and more on IEOC as well..

Very good. Im taking a mock at the end of February so lets see how they go!
  • Options
    Did some BGP labs. Going to do a blog post about some BGP troubleshooting tomorrow :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Some more BGP labs done, have a few left before moving on.
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    well I got beat up a bit on my first mock lab. Not great, but not horrible either. Honestly I would have completely rocked it had I took the time to read it all carefully. My stamina for doing 8hrs worth of work wasnt really there either. I was completely done though in 6 hours...with both TS and config sections. But my laziness killed me, and I misread some requirements (like filter on odd "third" octect <--this is what i read it to say ...... "filter based on odd "first" octet<---this is what it actually said.) So I can say definitely take time to carefully read the lab tasks. I could have taken the last two hours or so and tuned things up a bit..but I was tired and my wife/kid had just gotten home and I wanted to see them so I just clicked complete. It was fun though, I have loaded the configs on my home lab and am redoing the thing as we speak. Hope your having fun man.
  • Options
    Great to hear from you Jason, sounds like you're doing good. I just finished the vol1 BGP labs. Going for the CCIE really teaches you the importance of reading and interpreting the tasks in a correct manner. I don't have the stamina yet for such a long test and I need to work on shutting everything else out when labbing, Internet is a bad thing lol. Getting better at it though and trying to only stick to the DOCCD. In a couple of weeks I'll start vol2 and maybe you can give me some tips :)
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Great to hear from you Jason, sounds like you're doing good. I just finished the vol1 BGP labs. Going for the CCIE really teaches you the importance of reading and interpreting the tasks in a correct manner. I don't have the stamina yet for such a long test and I need to work on shutting everything else out when labbing, Internet is a bad thing lol. Getting better at it though and trying to only stick to the DOCCD. In a couple of weeks I'll start vol2 and maybe you can give me some tips :)

You know, the stamina is one thing I don't worry about hehe. I can pretty easily go for hours on one project.

For example, last night, I took a break from my CCIE studying. I took that break by deciding to install Spacewalk (the open source version of Red Hat Satellite). I like to dip into my unix admin stuff once in awhile to keep my skills fresh.

6 hours later, I noticed the sun was coming up, and I should probably go to bed before I stayed up long enough to be useless (or worse, late) to work the next night. And I do this kind of crap all the time. Give me a terminal and a commandline, and the hours just melt away.
  • Options
    That's great :) How are your studies going?
    Daniel Dib
    CCIE #37149
  • Options
    Same as always. After I finished CCIP and GSEC, I decided to basically start with a clean slate and approach my CCIE training as though I knew nothing. My aim is to pass the Written by the end of April, though with some recent craziness coming at work (we were just acquired by a rather large and well known company), and the whole mess of FFEIC compliance crap we have to deal with, I may end up pushing it back a month or two.

Spent the last month refreshing myself on Layer 2 concepts, and just moved into IP services. I'm basically working my way through the Odom cert guide, using other relevant material like the Routing TCP/IP books, the LAN Switching guide, and so on to supplement the Odom material in an effort to saturate my learning. All in all, I'm trying to approach everything in a fairly casual manner and trying not to rush through the material so I can actually retain it better. I've always been about making sure my fundamentals are solid. If I have that, I can usually work my way through any problem.

Once I pass the Written, the game changes. Since I'll be on an 18 month clock, it'll be time to get real. That's when I go hardcore, and that's when I'll endeavor to solve problems using nothing but the DocCD.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GA, just from knowing you on here these past couple of years, you should school the **** out of the written no problem. And if you already have cli tolerance that is good for hours than you are that far ahead...

I have been trying to do the labs without printing the topo's on paper, as they are in the lab all digital...this bugs the hell out of me. I can, and will, draw it out in my style, but I would really like to look at the lab documents on paper as the screen starts to hurt after a while.
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Once I pass the Written, the game changes. Since I'll be on an 18 month clock, it'll be time to get real. That's when I go hardcore, and that's when I'll endeavor to solve problems using nothing but the DocCD.

Give 'em hell.
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    Same as always. After I finished CCIP and GSEC, I decided to basically start with a clean slate and approach my CCIE training as though I knew nothing. My aim is to pass the Written by the end of April, though with some recent craziness coming at work (we were just acquired by a rather large and well known company), and the whole mess of FFEIC compliance crap we have to deal with, I may end up pushing it back a month or two.

Spent the last month refreshing myself on Layer 2 concepts, and just moved into IP services. I'm basically working my way through the Odom cert guide, using other relevant material like the Routing TCP/IP books, the LAN Switching guide, and so on to supplement the Odom material in an effort to saturate my learning. All in all, I'm trying to approach everything in a fairly casual manner and trying not to rush through the material so I can actually retain it better. I've always been about making sure my fundamentals are solid. If I have that, I can usually work my way through any problem.

Sounds like yall always got some fun stuff going on at your job, I need to apply there.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • Options
    Forsaken_GA, just from knowing you on here these past couple of years, you should school the **** out of the written no problem. And if you already have cli tolerance that is good for hours than you are that far ahead...

Yeah, it all goes back to my BBS days when I would stay up all hours of the night reading messages, and tweaking my bulletin board, and messing with the various interfacing technology.

Surprisingly, a large number of concepts from my BBS days actually translated really well to unix administration and internetworking hehe
    I have been trying to do the labs without printing the topo's on paper, as they are in the lab all digital...this bugs the hell out of me. I can, and will, draw it out in my style, but I would really like to look at the lab documents on paper as the screen starts to hurt after a while.

I'm the same way, not having physical copy to reference is a major irritation for me. Actually, I should say separate copy. I could deal with having the topo on something like an ipad if I had to, I like to use my screens as actual work areas and not reference, but I agree with you that having physical copies that I can mark up would be much much better.

I wonder if Cisco went to making everything digital in an effort to be more green, or to try and better secure the information.
  • Options
    shodown wrote: »
    Sounds like yall always got some fun stuff going on at your job, I need to apply there.

I'm still out on that. Let's just say that our culture, and that of our new corporate overlords is decidedly different. I don't anticipate any major changes to our operations for at least a year though, the integration is going to take some time.

I'm particularly unhappy that the discussions we had last year about this years training budget have apparently gone null and void. My boss had verbally committed to providing support for my CCIE studies out of his training budget, but since we work for a new company, and my department now has a new boss, I can't get a straight answer out of anyone as to whether or not that applies. I'm perfectly willing to go out of pocket for anything I need, but being jerked around lesses my feelings of endearment towards my employer.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mikej412 wrote: »
    INE had their 50% off deal code for the people subscribed to their newsletter a couple weeks ago -- so it's probably worth signing up for the newsletters of the Vendors/Rack Rental places you might consider using.
    They're doing it again -- INE is offering 50% off rack rentals. I don't see the code posted on the website, but the deal goes through Feb 14th, so it may not be to late to sign up for their newsletter (or call on Monday).

The INE tokens for GradedLabs rack rentals don't expire, while the IPE/ProctorLabs tokens have a shelf life of one year.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!