Options

CCNA Lab for Cisco Newbie

pctechcareypctechcarey Member Posts: 8 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hello all - I know that this subject has been killed time and time again but I am finding Cisco lab building quite daunting with all the different models, add on cards, etc! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have just started on the path to Cisco CCNA. I am very interested in supplementing Packet Tracer with real equip. but I get different answers from everyone I ask and everything I read. I do have a budget of around $500 but am looking for real lab possibilities that I may be able to piece together over time, so money not really an object (no crazy price equip tho). My question is this: what is the recommended equip from CCNA with possibly adding voice, security, etc add-ons?

From what I have gathered:

3 x routers
3 x switches
cables
newest IOS

What I have:

4 Dell PowerEdge SC1425
28U rack

Now the fun question! What routers and switches (models, RAM, connection cards if needed) are the best to get for the newer CCNA? What cables would I need? What add-ons would i need? Sorry so many questions but at this new stage I am lost with the equipment and want to ensure that I can get off on the right foot. Again, any suggestions would be great. Be honest with what is relevant with today's CCNA and what I would really need to got into the CCNA add-on certs!

Thanks Again!

Comments

• Options
    pixelperson1pixelperson1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I noticed that this company (which advertises on this forum) sells CCNA labs.

I looked at this set: Dual 2501 16/16 Router & dual 2924 Switch CCNA Kit

I too am looking at getting CCNA; although simulators are pretty good, a friend who is CCNA suggested that I either create a lab from scratch (via eBay, etc.) or look at buying a kit.

I sent him this link (above) to see what he thought.

I will post his response when I here back from him.
    C. Christensen
    CompTia Network+; A+ Certified, Security+
    www.creativeoverload.com
  • Options
    simtechsimtech Member Posts: 213
    My suggestion is to build it from scratch, don't buy the kit. Not only it's cheaper, but you are learning more cisco products by searching for how much ram, wic cards, cable, etc. Start with 2950 switches and 2600 series xm or non-xm.
  • Options
    NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    simtech wrote: »
    My suggestion is to build it from scratch, don't buy the kit. Not only it's cheaper, but you are learning more cisco products by searching for how much ram, wic cards, cable, etc. Start with 2950 switches and 2600 series xm or non-xm.

What he said. I started off with a 2516 which can be found for around 20 bucks these days. Your results may vary.

:)
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    I am building a lab also, and I cam curious to know how many switches and routers do I need to obtain? I know what models to purchase, but I do not know how many of each I need.

- Thanks in adv
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security
  • Options
    sthompson86sthompson86 Member Posts: 370
    Netwurk wrote: »
    What he said. I started off with a 2516 which can be found for around 20 bucks these days. Your results may vary.

:)

Is a 2516 sufficient for the CCNA now days?
    Currently Reading: Again to Carthage - CCNA/Security