Scheduled the test... any advice?

ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all

Im a system admin of about 6 years of experience.. but not so much experience when it comes to security. I purchased Darril's book along with an audio book from preplogic that i listen to in the car and at my desk

I just scheduled my test this afternoon and i will be taking it on december 3rd. anybody have any suggestions on how to prepare for this test? I read the forums last week, which lead me to purchase Darrils book... and the reviews at amazon make it sound like this is the bible for sy0-201 lol

Comments

• jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was really surprised when I saw the rating the Darrils book. If I fail the Sec+ test, I'll get that book for sure.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • ODNationODNation Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my test is this friday at 2pm est... i learned yesterday that the company i work for has free training through transcender... so i was happy to take the offer using the practice exams... after reading darrils book a couple times, i found that the practice exam through transcender had a handful of questions that were not covered in the book... for those who used transcender as a study guide, did it help you at all? and what does the reference numbers mean? By reference, i mean that when you review the questions, at the top it will say "Ref: Cert-SY0-201.5.5.4" .... obviously i know what the sy0-201 is... but the numbers after it refer to the version of test? icon_study.gif
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    Sorry no experience with Transcender but just wanted to wish you luck this Friday icon_thumright.gif
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    ODNation wrote: »
    my test is this friday at 2pm est... i learned yesterday that the company i work for has free training through transcender... so i was happy to take the offer using the practice exams... after reading darrils book a couple times, i found that the practice exam through transcender had a handful of questions that were not covered in the book... for those who used transcender as a study guide, did it help you at all? and what does the reference numbers mean? By reference, i mean that when you review the questions, at the top it will say "Ref: Cert-SY0-201.5.5.4" .... obviously i know what the sy0-201 is... but the numbers after it refer to the version of test? icon_study.gif

http://www.techexams.net/forums/security/57489-ladies-gentlemen-please-meet-one-your-newest-security-certified-pro-me.html

I'll say this much though...the Transcenders flashcard function for cryptography definitely helped me out, but all I needed was Darril's book, in retrospect. The fact that I got 870 meant I overprepared, and that in itself wasn't a bad thing.

How far into the book are you in now? If you just started, you might be cutting it close, I think.
    erpadmin wrote: »
    How far into the book are you in now? If you just started, you might be cutting it close, I think.

well its kinda weird how ive been preparing for this test... i originally meant to take it back in february... so i went to barnes and noble and bought a sybex book - read it a couple times and as i was about to schedule my test, i came across darrils book. So i ordered darrils book in May, read it twice but some personal issues came up during the summer time... so now im hell bent on making sure i get this cert before the 1-1-2011... so i read darrils book yet again on top of many other study guides

no matter how many times i read the book - i can just never get chapter 8 down icon_study.gif

hopefully i will come back friday afternoon with some good news!

thanks!
  • earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good luck!
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
    passed with 879

darrils books = gold icon_cheers.gif
  • badboyeeebadboyeee Member Posts: 348
    passed with 879

icon_cheers.gif Congratulations! Very nice score :beer:

Did the Transcender practice exams help a lot??
    2011 Certification Plans so far:
    [Cisco: CCENT (ICND1)-> CCNA (ICND2)]
    [MS: MCP-> MCDST-> MCTS / MCITP:ESDT7-> MCITP:EDA7]

Class taking:
    [Cisco NetAcademy - Network Fundamentals (35%)]

Video currently watching:

[CBT Nuggets - CCENT w/ Jeremy (50%)]
    [CBT Nuggets - 20-721 (40%)
  • erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed with 879

Good job and congrats!!

(Man.....this really is the best certification book ever LOL!)
    Thanks for the kudos icon_thumright.gif
    badboyeee wrote: »
    Did the Transcender practice exams help a lot??

The Transcenders didnt help that much - the questions compared to the actual exam are far more difficult. The one thing that I liked about Transcenders is their explanation - there were some things that they explained differently than Darril did and it made sense to me - such as PKI. But I'm certain that I would have passed if I used Darrils book and nothing else.

It does help to go onto YouTube and get a visual explanation of things - such as PKI (had a hard time with that)
  • HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Very nice score! Congrats! Darril Gibson must be giddy with all the publicity we give him here. If I ever choose to write a book years down the road I hope it's as well received.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.