Network Monitor Software

staub81staub81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,
I have a small network ~50 workstations.

I'm looking for a network monitor where I could monitor bandwidth usage, sessions etc. for server 2003.

Free / open source would be great, but if not, definitely something affordable.

I've found the solarwinds orion, which looks great, but is way out of the price range.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    staub81 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I have a small network ~50 workstations.

I'm looking for a network monitor where I could monitor bandwidth usage, sessions etc. for server 2003.

Free / open source would be great, but if not, definitely something affordable.

I've found the solarwinds orion, which looks great, but is way out of the price range.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Probably get better responses in a different sub-forum, but a lot of it would be repeats too :)

There's a thread just a few threads down in the off-topic forum on this subject - linked here:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/60089-network-server-monitoring-software.html

There are a handful of other threads too if you search through the forums. But a good variety of options, many which offer free versions, in the thread I linked.
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    Nagios and cacti.
    I'm sure there are plenty other, but theyre the 1st to come to my head
    both free :)
  • AlanJamesAlanJames Member Posts: 230
    and prtg, solarwinds etc etc
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    AlanJames wrote: »
    Nagios and cacti.
    I'm sure there are plenty other, but theyre the 1st to come to my head
    both free :)

I have to build my first nagios server in a few hours. I'm kind of excited lol
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    we use nagios to monitor our servers, orion to monitor the network, and cacti to graph the bandwidth on all the interfaces we care about
  • staub81staub81 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks so much for the great suggestions.

Definitely looking into some of those options.

I guess one important piece of info I left out is that all my traffic is funneled through an ISA 2006 box, so I'm also looking at GFI Web monitor.

Anyone ever had any experience with it?