Options

Anyone familiar with Lotus Domino Mail Server?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I was wondering how it compared to exchange?

Reliability / Availability

Etc.

Comments

• Options
    it_consultantit_consultant Member Posts: 1,903
    Interestingly my experience has been dominated by moving people OFF of Lotus to Exchange. I worked for a couple of months in the Boulder IBM campus where we had both, the IBM network used Lotus and the gov't network used Exchange. Without a doubt the majority preferred outlook. However, Outlook can't match Domino for forms and workflow tools. Plus, being on an IBM campus almost guaranteed a good solid implementation of Domino.

My experience has led me to this conclusion, if you are on a Windows network my preferred messaging systems are:

Exchange 2010 SP1
    Groupwise by Novell
    Domino by IBM

On a linux network I would say:

Groupwise by Novell
    Exchange 2010 SP1 (a more common scenario than you might think)
    Some combination of sendmail / postfx / squirrel mail

There are some other servers out there, for example Zimbra, which I have only ever had really terrible experiences with. Scalix looks promising but I have never seen or used it.
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have some exposure to it, and in most cases it has been what was previously mentioned; organizations moving from Lotus to Exchange.

I wouldn't say that reliability/availability are really stand out problems, it's more the functionality that Exchange offers that causes organizations to migrate...

That's a shame too, since Lotus has always made such nice cars.

MS
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    eMeS wrote: »
    I have some exposure to it, and in most cases it has been what was previously mentioned; organizations moving from Lotus to Exchange.

I wouldn't say that reliability/availability are really stand out problems, it's more the functionality that Exchange offers that causes organizations to migrate...

That's a shame too, since Lotus has always made such nice cars.

MS

icon_lol.gif

Thanks for the information!