Just starting out on CCENT/CCNA track - need advice.

burner27burner27 Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
I passed Network+ and Security+ and I am interested in the CCENT/CCNA certs. I was just wondering if someone could point me in the direction of some good books? I was advised by some to look at these:

Amazon.com: CCNA Official Exam Certification Library (Exam 640-802), Third Edition (Containing ICND1 and ICND2 Second Edition Exam Certification Guides) (9781587201837): Wendell Odom: Books

https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/index.jspa

Cisco Certification: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, used Cisco router, Cisco switch, Cisco routers.

and i saw this one by Todd Lammle (I used his Network+ book to pass the Net+ exam):

Amazon.com: CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide: Exam 640-802 (9780470110089): Todd Lammle: Books

I also have a Cisco Catalyst 3500 XL switch. What else would you guys recommend?

Thank you

Comments

• xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I used the following:

Wendell Odom ICND1/2 books
    Todd Lammle CCNA book (wasn't critical, I just wanted a second resource)
    (2) 2620XM routers
    (2) 2950 switches

I started out my studying with a simulator that I aquired, but tossed it when it didn't support switch commands that I was trying to lab in the first few chapters of the book. I did my research around here and on ebay and put together my lab for under $300. The 26--XM series routers give you a great bang for your buck when it comes to features and IOS support, but you can also get by with a few $20 2500 series routers. I don't know much about all the older switch models, but everyone around here seems to recommend the 2950 for a more currnet command set. I'm still glad I went with real equipment since I don't have any real experience with Cisco gear.

I highly recommend the Odom books. The exam simulator that comes with it is harder than the actual test. If you can pass the practice exam, you're ready for the real thing.

Good luck in your studies icon_study.gif In my case, I learned more studying for the CCNA than I did for any of my other certs. It's definitely worth the time invested.

Edit: gosh1976 reminded me that I also used the CBT nuggets. They're pretty good too. Jeremy, the instructor, is very easy to listen to.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • gosh1976gosh1976 Member Posts: 441
    I think the Lammle book is organized better and easier to read. I believe the Odom book comes with a Boson practice exam and the exam content is from the book publisher. Boson has the ex-sim max practice exam that I used for the CCENT and it is good. I'll be buying the one for the ICND2.

For those self-studying CBTnuggets comes highly recommended.