Options

Printer install

Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
Hi

Does anyone know if a batch file can install a network printer locally, create a tcp-ip port put in printers IP click have disk point to the inf file for the drivers you know how am doing it yer

The printer IP could be in with the bat file and also the path for the drivers so all I would do is run the batch file would save me loads of time

Comments

• Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    Here's how it works in our environment:

1)Printer is installed and shared on a print server
    2)VBScript is created that will add the shared printer to a PC
    3)Printer group is created for that printer
    4)VBScript is applied to that group at logon with GPO
    5)User is added to the group

One of our admins writes the VBScript, so I can't help you there. The rest is pretty simple, though, if you need lots of people using the same printers.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    gatewaygateway Member Posts: 232
    I suppose it depends what technology you are working with/have available and what you are trying to achieve.

It may or may not be of any use to you but we have a Server 2003 R2 print server with the print management console to deploy printers via group policy. Take a look at pushprinterconnections.exe

I have never had to touch anything with regards to printers since I deployed this.
    Blogging my AWS studies here! http://www.itstudynotes.uk/aws-csa
  • Options
    Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    Am affraid the printers cant be installed to the laptops am rolling out the easy way, no idea why but it has something to do with the server being 32-bit and the clients being 64-bit, both 32 and 64 drivers have been loaded onto the print server but will not work, I think the print spooler falls over

Instead for the current rollout of laptops I am installing printers the way I said in this post, but its very boring and laborious so was hoping I could wave a magic wand and create a batch file

I could even use a pen drive which has all the drivers loaded onto it as am in different parts of the UK and the drivers would be in manchester on one of there servers